The 1/2 Hour News Hour cancelled after 15 episodes

Mr.Conley

Jan 20, 2006
New Orleans, LA/Cambridge, MA
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/half_hour_news_hour_shelved_65085.asp said:
In a memo to senior producers this afternoon, FNC's SVP of programming, Bill Shine announced the network "will not continue the Half Hour News Hour beyond its current 15 episode run." Shine did leave the door open, however: "we are considering ways to retool the show for future scheduling needs."

The TV news satire show which airs Sunday nights, stars faux anchors Kurt McNally, played by Kurt Long, and Jennifer Lange, played by Jennifer Robertson.

The first airing, February 18 was a hit, with more than 1.4 million viewers. The show averaged 258,000 viewers (25-54 demo) in its last 10 airings, winning its timeslot all but once. FNC will air the final show September 16.

Read the memo, after the jump...

August 14, 2007

TO: Senior Producers

FR: Bill Shine

RE: Half Hour News Hour/Weekend Programming

I'd like to share some news with you about weekend programming.

Joel Surnow and I have mutually decided that we will not continue the Half Hour News Hour beyond its current 15 episode run. The last show will be presented on September 16th.

While HHNH performed admirably in the ratings and Kurt Long and Jennifer Robertson did a wonderful job, we are considering ways to retool the show for future scheduling needs. There is still a chance you will see the program at some point in the future.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Joel and his team. He is a visionary in this business and he created a contrarian program that fulfilled an untapped niche in the comedy genre.
Well, apparently there is justice in the universe after all.

Anyway, it appears after a positive initial first screening, the show cratered. Of course, there seems to be a chance that the show might be "retooled" yet I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Anyway, it appears after a positive initial first screening, the show cratered. Of course, there seems to be a chance that the show might be "retooled" yet I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Cratered? It won its time slot all but once. I would call that a success.

Wow, who know so much could be so wrong with just three sentences.

First what about this is just exactly?

Two, see RGS's post about the show 'cratering'

Thirdly, it doesn't say might be retooled it says 'considering', which I would take to mean, it or a similar show will be back.

Thirdly, it doesn't say might be retooled it says 'considering', which I would take to mean, it or a similar show will be back.

so, if I "consider" eating a hot fudge sundae, that means I put on weight?

Is that what you "would take that to mean"?

The writing didn't seem good enough to take off- to really be a success I would imagine it would need someone like Jon Stewart and his writers...the one time I watched it I wasn't impressed with either or the "anchors."

Additionally, I thought it was a mistake to put it on FoxNews. If you are trying to demonstrate that you actually are a news outlet and not a mouthpiece for the right-wing...putting a right-wing Daily Show on your lineup never really made sense to me.

The first airing, February 18 was a hit, with more than 1.4 million viewers. The show averaged 258,000 viewers (25-54 demo) in its last 10 airings, winning its timeslot all but once.

Ignoring the facts won't help your case....

The first airing, February 18 was a hit, with more than 1.4 million viewers. The show averaged 258,000 viewers (25-54 demo) in its last 10 airings, winning its timeslot all but once.

Ignoring the facts won't help your case....

You raise several good points. Allow me to address them.

As we've both noted, the initial screening was successful. However, over the course of only a few episodes, the show "cratered" from an extremely high rating of 1.4 million to only, as noted, an average of 258,000 viewers, a drop of over one million viewers, which, at least for a cable show, is massive.

Now, as to your other point, the timeslot, as I is stated in my original post, the show did win it's timeslot. However, the timeslot the show "won" was not a particularly competitive timeslot. In addition, the ratings are only being compared to the other cable news networks, CNN, CNN Headline and MSNBC, which Fox typically beats, so that's not the issue. So yes, the show won the timeslot, but it was like winning a fight with a retarded monkey.

Finally, for all these accusations of "ignoring the facts", the ultimate fact remains: Fox cancelled the show. You can say whatever you want about initial ratings or comparisons with CNN, but the ultimate fact here is that God Himself spoke Bill Shine and told him that in the name of all that is good, just, natural, holy, righteous and happy to end this abomination of a shitty comedy show, and for that we can all, liberal, conservative or whatever, rejoice.

You raise several good points. Allow me to address them.

As we've both noted, the initial screening was successful. However, over the course of only a few episodes, the show "cratered" from an extremely high rating of 1.4 million to only, as noted, an average of 258,000 viewers, a drop of over one million viewers, which, at least for a cable show, is massive.

Now, as to your other point, the timeslot, as I is stated in my original post, the show did win it's timeslot. However, the timeslot the show "won" was not a particularly competitive timeslot. In addition, the ratings are only being compared to the other cable news networks, CNN, CNN Headline and MSNBC, which Fox typically beats, so that's not the issue. So yes, the show won the timeslot, but it was like winning a fight with a retarded monkey.

Finally, for all these accusations of "ignoring the facts", the ultimate fact remains: Fox cancelled the show. You can say whatever you want about initial ratings or comparisons with CNN, but the ultimate fact here is that God Himself spoke to Bill Shine and told him that in the name of all that is good, just, natural, holy, righteous and happy to end this abomination of a shitty comedy show, and for that we can all, liberal, conservative or whatever, rejoice.

Cratered? It won its time slot all but once. I would call that a success.

There are other factors to consider- production costs, advertising, etc.- before you can deem it a success.

Personally, I thought the show sucked and there was nowhere to go but down.

Something like this might work on late night and when the Dems get the majority.

Forum List

Back