"That's Pretty Cool That You Have A Dad Who Does This Stuff With You"

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
My Dad lives in California and Mexico so we get together maybe once a year. He's 74 years old but but he's in great health. In fact, when my wife and I picked him up at the airport he jogged up a flight of stairs! He doesn't exercise, eats whatever he wants to (just in moderation) and is in pretty good shape.

Anyway, he came out here (Pennsylvania) because there was an annual Model Airplane contest we both wanted to go to in Carmichaels PA. My Dad has been flying models for 60+ years and I've been in the hobby for about 40+ years.

Here he is with the plane he flew. Back in 1953, when my Dad was in H.S. he saw the guy who designed it fly it at his H.S.! He fell in love with the design and has been flying Control Line ever since. Control Line is what was popular before Radio Control was invented and became hugely popular.

Dad02.jpg

While we were there one guy my age saw us together, flying the plane and asked me "Is that your Dad?". I said "Yeah, why?" and he smiled and replied;

"That's pretty cool that you have a Dad who does this stuff with you. My dad passed away a few years ago but he and I never really did anything together".

So I thought about for a second and realized, yeah, I am pretty lucky aint I? Out of all the fathers in the world I got this one. Pretty good luck of the draw I'd say. :)

My Dad has passed his love of Aviation and Model Airplanes on to me and I've been a certified "Aeronut" since I built my first plane at age 5. My Dad built his first when he was 8. While he was here we also made a trip to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy exhibit in Virginia.

Dad01.jpg

Me01.jpg

My Dad and I went through a period where we didn't speak to each other for about 10 years and while he was here he wanted to apologize about it and said it was one of the worst periods of his life. All I could say really was that it's all water under the bridge and that we're together now so let's just enjoy ourselves. (Ladies, this is how us guys make up with each other, we just move on) :lol:

We missed the annual Chino Air Show in California this year but we decided just to make it an annual event and that I'd fly out there every year no matter what. He's been going to Chino Airport since the 50's and has been taking me there since the early 70's.

This thread does have a point and here it is. Guys, If your father is around, please make the effort to get together with him no matter what the state of your current relationship is. I think it's pretty important for guys to have some sort of relationship with their fathers because that's how you're going to interact with all other men. At least that's what I believe.

Happy Fathers Day everyone!

Happy Father's Day, Mad. It's awesome you and your dad reconciled. :)

My dad and I had a cabinet shop before I joined the service. He taught me woodworking, remodeling, and electrical and plumbing work. Of his four sons, I'm the only one who knows his way around a shop.

When I retired from the service, I moved to my home county so I could be near my folks. They don't get around as well as they used to, so I do some stuff around the house for them.

Oh -- I used to fly R/C before I enlisted. It's a great hobby.

My Dad lives in California and Mexico so we get together maybe once a year. He's 74 years old but but he's in great health. In fact, when my wife and I picked him up at the airport he jogged up a flight of stairs! He doesn't exercise, eats whatever he wants to (just in moderation) and is in pretty good shape.

Anyway, he came out here (Pennsylvania) because there was an annual Model Airplane contest we both wanted to go to in Carmichaels PA. My Dad has been flying models for 60+ years and I've been in the hobby for about 40+ years.

Here he is with the plane he flew. Back in 1953, when my Dad was in H.S. he saw the guy who designed it fly it at his H.S.! He fell in love with the design and has been flying Control Line ever since. Control Line is what was popular before Radio Control was invented and became hugely popular.

Dad02.jpg

While we were there one guy my age saw us together, flying the plane and asked me "Is that your Dad?". I said "Yeah, why?" and he smiled and replied;

"That's pretty cool that you have a Dad who does this stuff with you. My dad passed away a few years ago but he and I never really did anything together".

So I thought about for a second and realized, yeah, I am pretty lucky aint I? Out of all the fathers in the world I got this one. Pretty good luck of the draw I'd say. :)

My Dad has passed his love of Aviation and Model Airplanes on to me and I've been a certified "Aeronut" since I built my first plane at age 5. My Dad built his first when he was 8. While he was here we also made a trip to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy exhibit in Virginia.

Dad01.jpg

Me01.jpg

My Dad and I went through a period where we didn't speak to each other for about 10 years and while he was here he wanted to apologize about it and said it was one of the worst periods of his life. All I could say really was that it's all water under the bridge and that we're together now so let's just enjoy ourselves. (Ladies, this is how us guys make up with each other, we just move on) :lol:

We missed the annual Chino Air Show in California this year but we decided just to make it an annual event and that I'd fly out there every year no matter what. He's been going to Chino Airport since the 50's and has been taking me there since the early 70's.

This thread does have a point and here it is. Guys, If your father is around, please make the effort to get together with him no matter what the state of your current relationship is. I think it's pretty important for guys to have some sort of relationship with their fathers because that's how you're going to interact with all other men. At least that's what I believe.

Happy Fathers Day everyone!

You look just like your dad!!

Dads are awesome guys.... I adore mine. I only wish there were more men like my dad. I'm glad you got the chance to make up and spend time with him. You are indeed a lucky guy.

Yay for dads. :clap2::clap2:

Thanks for the awesome story and great pictures Mad!
It all made me smile~
I didn't know my real Dad, and my step-Father was so very mean :-(
But, I love him, and I forgave him for the abuse, but he's gone now, he passed away in 2008, cancer. So, I said a quiet "I love you Dad" to myself today.

That's a touching recollection, Mad Scientist.

My father's a gruff yet fair chap. He showed me how to shoot, work wood but would side with my school masters after they'd thrashed the living shit out of me for some minor infraction - flippancy, usually.

Anyhow, it's still nice to see the old codger. We have a tradition that when a male patriach visits a younger, yet independent pup, the young pup's obliged to vacate their favourite chair for the 'wiser' guest. I make a small show of resisting after my father's impatiently informed me that he can't wait around on his feet all day for some lazy arsehole to get off their arse and fetch him a drink. I usually return to a chair occupied by an older gentleman puffing on cigar with both a content and victorious look on his face, informing everyone in the room of the fact: 'Yeah, that's right. I'm still in charge.' I still can't help but sport an affectionate grin at the audacity of it.

Very cool story, Mad Scientist. My Dad died back in 1986 and I miss him. He was an awesome guy. When I was growing up we hunted, fished, camped and traveled all over the place to places that a kid would enjoy. He truly was my best friend. I can't say enough nice things about my Dad. He was the most remarkable man I ever have known.

Forum List

Back