That took long: Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Featured Videos

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.
”

3TV caught up with Abdon after he was released from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in central Phoenix. He and his wife, Jackie, are still upset about what happened to him.

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked. He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

Both were born in the United States and say they are now both infuriated that keeping important documents safely at home is no longer an option.

Jackie says, “It doesn't feel like it's a good way of life, to live with fear, even though we are okay, we are legal…still have to carry documents around.”

Don't know about any of you, but I've never heard of anyone in my state having asked by a officer to show their birth certificates. So no, it's not common, and yes it's racial profiling.

I guess you believe everything you hear and read too... I think this is most likely horse hockey.

I guess you believe everything you hear and read too... I think this is most likely horse hockey.

I don't happen to believe everything I read and hear too. However, can you give me some evidence that what this american citizen is saying is false?

Its wrong dogbert but I agree with the Count "If it doesn't make sense Its probably not true" Devils advocate here; No hablo Ingles. Let me call my lawyer"

What do you mean it doesn't make sense? Again, I'd want some evidence that the story didn't happen as said in the article. Assumptions don't cut it.

I drove a truck for awhile. Some states, including Az require a certified copy of your BC along with a CDL, cab card, nafta sticker, BOL and several other things. Leave them home, and they will arrest you. simple.

Truck drivers know they are giving up many of their civil rights when they climb into the cab, doesn't stop them from whining though.

I bet this guy drove for swift............

It's been a law for awhile, nothing new, not related to the 'new' immigration law.

Well, it will be in the courts very soon.
Most people seem to agree that this law is a reaction to Congress doing nothing to solve the problem. I have a friend in Arizona who literally has illegals tramping through his backyard. I think the courts will see through this law as an attempt for the state to make immigration law which is illegal.

It's interesting that the GOP picked yesterday as a time to announce that they are pledging to block immigration reform. I wonder how that will sit with McCain supporters.

GOP pledges to block immigration bill push - UPI.com

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Featured Videos

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.
”

3TV caught up with Abdon after he was released from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in central Phoenix. He and his wife, Jackie, are still upset about what happened to him.

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked.
He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed
But did he have the proper paperwork for the goods inside of the truck?

Both were born in the United States and say they are now both infuriated that keeping important documents safely at home is no longer an option.

Jackie says, “It doesn't feel like it's a good way of life, to live with fear, even though we are okay, we are legal…still have to carry documents around.”

Don't know about any of you, but I've never heard of anyone in my state having asked by a officer to show their birth certificates. So no, it's not common, and yes it's racial profiling.

What's curious is the agents stated--according--to the article that his paperwork on the truck were not in order--so he could not be checked off?

"Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked." which should have been in violation of interstate transfer. IOW--they would have held the truck.

We'll see how much further this goes--but this drivers statement seems a little strange to me?

Last edited:
Its wrong dogbert but I agree with the Count "If it doesn't make sense Its probably not true" Devils advocate here; No hablo Ingles. Let me call my lawyer"

What do you mean it doesn't make sense? Again, I'd want some evidence that the story didn't happen as said in the article. Assumptions don't cut it.

Oh come on. In a heated political climate, all stories are worthless until fully investigated. It was just a week or two ago that a politician (Republican) and his wife/girlfriend were beaten up for wearing Palin buttons. Remember how that one evntually turned out?

i'm calling bullshit:

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.

The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling

IF this is standard procedure, then as a commercial truck driver he should have known the procedure....

Oh come on. In a heated political climate, all stories are worthless until fully investigated. It was just a week or two ago that a politician (Republican) and his wife/girlfriend were beaten up for wearing Palin buttons. Remember how that one evntually turned out?

Yes, because I was the one who got that thread moved to the Conspiracy Zone Forum with evidence of it being bullshit. However, the source for that story was shaky at best in the first place. This isn't some right or left wing blog.

Yes, because I was the one who got that thread moved to the Conspiracy Zone Forum with evidence of it being bullshit. However, the source for that story was shaky at best in the first place. This isn't some right or left wing blog.

Point taken. But something still smells fishy. I think I will hold my opinion.

Point taken. But something still smells fishy. I think I will hold my opinion.

And you got a right to. I just think there is a difference between questioning something and dismissing it outright because of the heated political climate.

nope.

nope.

What can you expect from a neocon?

lmao.....modbert has to run around policing the forum

Nope. However, when US Army Retired wants to once again try and blame Liberals for something non-existent, it's fun to prove his racist dumbass wrong.

New Topics

Forum List

Back