That time the Paris Mosque helped Jews escape the Nazis by giving them Muslim IDs

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
This is what islam should be, not trying to exterminate jews.

That time the Paris Mosque helped Jews escape the Nazis by giving them Muslim IDs

salaam-news.com/2013/05/20/that-time-the-paris-mosque-helped-jews-escape-the-nazis-by-giving-them-muslim-ids

Here’s one they left out of the history textbooks. A recent French film, Free Men, brought to light the remarkable true history of how Muslims gave sanctuary to French Jews in Nazi-occupied Paris during Second World War. An untold “Oscar Schindler” story, the film is inspired by actual events and in this case, our ‘Schindler’ is Si Kaddour Benghabrit, the rector of the Grand Mosque of Paris until 1954.

Image (c) Alice Heartherb

Underneath the fortress of mosaics and tranquil gardens occupying an entire city block in the Latin Quarter, it is revealed the mosque’s underground caverns once served as a refuge for resistance fighters and French Jews, where they could be provided with certificates of Muslim identity. Meanwhile upstairs, Benghabrit, a wise Algerian-born religious and political leader, was giving tours of the mosque to Nazi officers and their wives, unaware of what was transpiring right under their feet.

A North African Jewish man named Albert Assouline, who had escaped from a German prison camp, wrote about his experience hiding in the mosque:

“No fewer than 1,732 resistance fighters found refuge in its underground caverns. These included Muslim escapees but also Christians and Jews. The latter were by far the most numerous.”

iving sanctuary for Jews was largely impulsive and did not result in an organised movement by the mosque, which is perhaps why historical records remain so bleary. Some claim thousands of Jews were saved, others say it was in the dozens. In 2006, the current rector of the Paris Grand Mosque, Dalil Boubakeur, was interviewed by Robert Satloff, director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. In Mr. Saltoff’s book, Among the Righteous, Boubakeur confirms that ’up to 100 Jews’ were likely given Muslim identity papers by the mosque and provides Saltoff with a copy of a typewritten 1940 Foreign Ministry document found in the French Archives, affirming the Nazi’s suspicion of mosque personnel providing false Muslim identities to Jews.

630x351xFREEMEN.jpg.pagespeed.ic.YGw_4inb1z.jpg

Veteran French actor Michael Lonsdale plays Benghabrit (c) Pyramide Productions

The most notable case of the mosque refuge was Simon Hilali, a Sephardic Jew who survived the Holocaust by pretending to be an Arab named Salim with the assistance of Benghrabit and later went on to become the most popular Arab-language singer of the time. According to Hilali’s obituary, Germans were so suspicious of the Jewish musician that Benghabrit had the name of Hilali’s made-up Muslim grandfather carved on a headstone in a Parisian Muslim cemetery.

I missed the film in the cinemas when it came out last year because I never heard about it’s release, but what an important message to miss out on. The film’s director is lobbying for it to be shown in schools. “It pays homage to the people of our history who have been invisible,” he told the New York Times. “It shows another reality, that Muslims and Jews existed in peace. We have to remember that — with pride.”

In case you’re interested in learning about something your text books couldn’t bring to your attention, the Free Men (Les Hommes Libres) is available to download on iTunes here.

via The New York Times

Visiting la grande mosquée de Paris for Mint Tea at Twilight

640x1000x2821133279_34c63086fb_o.jpg.pagespeed.ic.M1uAlMhGrI.jpg

The mosque in the 5th arrondissement is host to one of the most pleasant cafĂ©s in Paris. With winding, leafy courtyards, this is a beautiful place to sip moroccan mint tea along with traditional arabic pastries on a sunny day. While it’s very popular, particular with Parisian families on Sunday afternoons, it’s not a place tourists are very aware of. It’s also open until midnight for tea under the stars while contemplating the fascinating history within its walls.

yeah but------at that time French muslims----I believe---were mostly Moroccan-----kinda used to having jews around. Moroccan society made jews a kind of caste----I believe that did the metal work and pharmacy. If you needed an aspirin---or
a love potion or something to put in the hookah....

yeah but------at that time French muslims----I believe---were mostly Moroccan-----kinda used to having jews around. Moroccan society made jews a kind of caste----I believe that did the metal work and pharmacy. If you needed an aspirin---or
a love potion or something to put in the hookah....

You might be right about the Moroccans (although there were other Muslims who did save the Jews during World War II). In New York at one time there was a social club made up of Jewish and Muslim Moroccans. They also collected funds for some charity in Morocco. However, sadly the club disbanded when the Muslim members had something against Israrel. An old friend of mine (a Greek Jew) who was going with a Muslim guy at the time and who talked her into being the recording secretary for their meetings told me that he loved listening to the Jewish High Holidays music in the Moroccan style. In fact, she herself has visited Morocco several times and has always been treated very kindly. She even is acquainted with one of the princesses.

You might be right about the Moroccans (although there were other Muslims who did save the Jews during World War II). In New York at one time there was a social club made up of Jewish and Muslim Moroccans. They also collected funds for some charity in Morocco. However, sadly the club disbanded when the Muslim members had something against Israrel. An old friend of mine (a Greek Jew) who was going with a Muslim guy at the time and who talked her into being the recording secretary for their meetings told me that he loved listening to the Jewish High Holidays music in the Moroccan style. In fact, she herself has visited Morocco several times and has always been treated very kindly. She even is acquainted with one of the princesses.
What a lovely fake story. ....... :cuckoo:

It's very consistent with history-----jews and Moroccans got along fairly well. In fact the previous king was kinda attached to the chief rabbi in a kind of sadaadin/Maimonides
relationship. According to a Moroccan jew I knew in the past who ---back then traveled to morocco often-----things had deteriorated (it would be about circa 1980) with the new king----the old man's son who he described as being weak
and "in the hands of the mullahs.....<yuck>"

It's very consistent with history-----jews and Moroccans got along fairly well. In fact the previous king was kinda attached to the chief rabbi in a kind of sadaadin/Maimonides
relationship. According to a Moroccan jew I knew in the past who ---back then traveled to morocco often-----things had deteriorated (it would be about circa 1980) with the new king----the old man's son who he described as being weak

What does Fatso know sitting on his Porta-Potty all day long trolling the forums and never gets out to see what is going on even in his own neighborhood? Wasn't it the old Moroccan King who used to say that he misses his Jews?

What does Fatso know sitting on his Porta-Potty all day long trolling the forums and never gets out to see what is going on even in his own neighborhood? Wasn't it the old Moroccan King who used to say that he misses his Jews?

he knows the contents of the weekly feces fling called
*****KHUTBAH JUMAAAT******

Forum List

Back