That military/industrial complex

Discussion in 'Military' started by CSM, Dec 11, 2007.

1. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Don't worry, the politicians will get it dismantled one way or the other!

DoD May Cut, But Lawmakers May Bleed

Military.com | By Bryant Jordan | December 10, 2007
    So far, neither the White House nor Congress appears ready to blink across the political battlefield that has caught Army civilian workers in the crossfire over a $189 billion defense funding bill, with hundreds of thousands of them now facing a blizzard of pink slips just in time for Christmas.

But while the layoffs would be directed by the Pentagon, ultimately it could be Congress feeling the heat as the Pentagon "games" the process to the disadvantage of the lawmakers - beginning with Christmas Eve layoff notices, according to a former career Senate staffer and now director of the Strauss Military Reform Project at the Center for Defense Information.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,157769,00.html?ESRC=eb.nl

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Not sure I get your point but we used to refer to the civilians as 'feather merchants.' This topic is extremely complex given our lobbyist world.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,450
    Well by all means, let's buy some more bombs so the Boeing and GE employees can get a few extra toys for their kids this x-mas!

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Naw...lets just layoff a couple hundred thousand employees so the Dems will have something else to complain about....

I guess the fact that a hundred thousand families or so will be affected has no impact on you...how compassionate!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,450
    So I should trade war and death, which is what the MIC deals in, for x-mas presents for familes?

No thanks. I'd rather go gift-less then buy more bombs to blow up countries.

This x-mas is going to be pretty tight financially for my family this year. It's going to be a very conservative x-mas. I don't feel bad that some families will have a little difficulty this x-mas because their company isn't selling more weapons. They'll get through it just like I am.

Is that a liberal thing to say?

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I suppose misery loves company.

The point is, what does this country do about hundreds of thousands of people hitting the unemployment lines at the same time?

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,450
    I'm not miserable at all. It just brings my family closer together. My mother will be seeing her new grandson, and that's all that matters to me.

What do we do about it? How the hell should I know. What do we do about the homeless vets who gave up their comfortable lives to DEFEND this country, that our government turned it's back on, and haven't had DICK to call their own for DECADES?

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Give them and all those soon-to-be laid off defense contractors the jobs done by illegal aliens...that should fix it!

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,450
    Agreed!

10. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    That military/industrial complex, along with those big bad oil companies, Walmart and every other major corporation is the very reason there is a middle, and upper middle class.....
    They are the ones putting food on your table and sending your kids to college...