That is not a lab puppy!!!!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
it has been over a year since we lost jake.....my husband has been at a loss since then.....so for solstice i thought about getting him a lab puppy....son decides he will be the bearer of the gift and feels the hubby out about it.....suddenly there is no lab puppy....he wants a dog like jake.....o hell no....we got jake...after he had been tossed in a pen for two years with no training....wild as the wind...seems i am the only one that remembers the rough years....but i digress...so son goes to humane and gets this:

welcome semba!

we figure he is about 8 months old...aussie shepard mixed with border collie...not sure

he has.....carolina blue eyes....we walk him on a duke leash however

he is fitting in well...we got him a dog bed of his own.....buddy and thor both enjoyed the new dog bed...semba couldnt get near it.....so he just piled on....

Oh my he looks so much like one of my boys.

Mines ( I suspect) is an aussie, catteldog mix.

My boy I got at around 7 months from a pound .

Some tossed him as a puppy in the back yard and taught him nothing.

My three year old boy is a spaz but is a really sweet and smart guy.

I had to teach him what affection was.

If you have never had a herder dog you will be very surprised.

They are amazingly smart.

talk to him as much as possible.

I talk to all my dogs like they are humans.

childlike humans.

Mine understand full sentances.

never underwstimate the smarts of the dog or a child

Oh my he looks so much like one of my boys.

Mines ( I suspect) is an aussie, catteldog mix.

My boy I got at around 7 months from a pound .

Some tossed him as a puppy in the back yard and taught him nothing.

My three year old boy is a spaz but is a really sweet and smart guy.

I had to teach him what affection was.

If you have never had a herder dog you will be very surprised.

They are amazingly smart.

talk to him as much as possible.

I talk to all my dogs like they are humans.

childlike humans.

Mine understand full sentances.

never underwstimate the smarts of the dog or a child

i have never had a herder dog before....he likes to herd the cats...and he nips.....nips....nips...rarely barks but whines a lot.....a whole lot...he likes to nibble the cats on the very tops of their heads but it does not seem to bother the cats

he is smart ....i told hubby i would not train him...then i watched hubby try to do it....and i took over...he does learn quickly but he likes to forget quickly too....he has a real problem with getting in the car....but that will just take time and him feeling secure

He looks more border collie than anything else. I hope you know all about border collies or you will have your hands more full than a one armed juggler.

If that puppy is already herding cats, he's likely quite smart and needs work to do.

Borders don't come in merle

they come in tri and black and white.

He may have border in him but that merle is very likely Aussie or cattledog.

Merle is that funny mix spot coloring

Wonderful.

I adopted an Aussie many years ago. One blue eye and one brown and the sweetest dog of all time. She was SO patient. We found a little lost puppy who Mattie (for Waltzing Matilda) adopted and raised. When he wanted her attention, the puppy, Ollie (from Charles Dickens' Oliver) would bite her lip or that tender skin of her flank and just hold on. Poor Mattie would whistle in pain from those awful little puppy teeth but never chastise him.

My favorite line from your post:
we figure he is about 8 months old...aussie shepard mixed with border collie...not sure

cuz it means you adopted him from a shelter.

Congrats on your new family member.

Check his hearing.....I had one like that, tho more cattle dogish......and we had him from the humane society for a week before we finally came to the conclusion he was stone deaf....supposedly tied to the white fur gene. Had to train him thru sign language. He passed about 8 years ago after living 12 years. We called him Taz, like the Tazmanian Devil. With the polychrome eyes, the local hispanic kids called him Diablo, because they thought he had the evil eye.

Great looking dog and either BC or Aussie fits the bill on this guy. He's a blue merle and just as cute as he can be.

I'm glad you rescued him from the pound. All four of mine are pound puppies and all four are just super dogs.

Nothing will ever replace your Jake but Semba can fill in and steal your hearts.

Super.

Like children, a new fur-fam member is not a 'replacement' for one that has passed. I find each and every successive creature I take into my life to be a unique and wonderful individual. I love them all and wish I could have more, but practice restraint so that the few I do have enjoy the love and quality care I can afford.
Congrats on the new puppy, Strollingbones.

He looks like there's a lot of border collie in him. He needs a job. Perhaps you could get some sheep?
Some dog breeds need jobs to keep them sane and controllable.
Good luck, and that is NOT a lab.

o hell no...the first thing i told them both....i will not end up with a sheep herd....i have understood people start with one of these dogs and end up with a sheep ranch.....i am not one of those.....he can herd the cats.....

o he can hear...and if i raise my voice to him......for the next hour he acts like i have beaten him....it is amazing how fast he is learning...but still a wee bit stubborn.....he is a carrot dog....rewards and praise...and belly rubs.....are his game....

as for replacing jake...never gonna happen....jake was just jake a raging hot mess....for the first two years we played hell with jake....but after that it settled ....but there is no replacing him...but we have a lot of dog love....

Our 10-month old Border Collie/Cattle Dog is very smart, very active and needs jobs. At the dog park she herds the labs who chase balls back to their owner. She'll lie in wait about half way to the ball and on line with the owner, as the dog approaches her with the ball she cuts him off, and runs circles around the retriever all the way back to the owner.

She too is black and white with a black tail which has a white tip (like it had been dipped in a white paint can) and learns very quick.

o the white tipped tail....it curls a wee bit.....semba is more mellow than i expected but that is cause he can run with the other dogs....he likes to stay about and herd the cats and chickens.....he doesnt hurt anyone .....

Looks like a BC with may some Catahoula thrown in.

If he's already herding then you should get him to herding class.

Its loads of fun and if he doesn't have a job to do he'll invent same and believe me you won't be liking his "inventions."

Looks like a great dog. Good luck with your "herder."

Forum List

Back