That freak in Florida doesn't speak for me

Do you think freedom of religion is important in this country?

Do you realize that freedom of Religion is rooted in Christianity??? Want to try building a Church in a Sharia Compliant Country?????

Simply not true.

It is rooted in the Enlightenment.

Actually while our modern interpretation of freedom of religion can be traced to that period, the roots of religious tolerance go back much, much further than that. It was seen in some form in many advanced societes long before the time of Christ. Read up on the practices of the Roman Republic, for one. The Persians, Ethiopians, by some accounts the Minoans, the list goes on....freedom or at least tolerance of thought and belief seems to be a hallmark of advanced civilization through the ages. Placing restrictions on belief and religious practice, in contrast, seems to be a mark of civilzations in distress, decline or which have never become advanced in the first place. It signifies a need to establish and maintain ultimate control through fear of the eternal. Advanced civilizations have no need for that level of control over their people.

Contact | Dove World Outreach Center

I have written to Pastor Jones as follows.

Sir,

I have seen news reports of your proposed burning of the Koran on 9/11/2010. I am writing to respectfully request that you do not undertake this symbolic gesture. Those of us with family and friends in the military - no matter what country they serve - suffer daily strain and concern about our loved ones who risk their lives to defend us. What is a symbolic gesture to you, may result in yet more dead US and other servicemen and women.

Your 'gesture' sickens real Christians, Jews and any other faith, as well as those of no faith. I was raised to ask one question when it comes to making big decisions in life: "What would Jesus do?". The Jesus I know would not burn the holy book of another faith. Nor is it the American way. We are not a nation of book burners - we are a nation of free people, we do not burn books - we embrace them. We embrace anyone, of whatever faith, who comes to us in peace. What you seek to do further drives a wedge between Christians and Muslims.

In the name of Christ, I ask you to reconsider. Please do not put my family, my friends, and the family and friends of other Americans, and other nations, in Afghanistan, Iraq or anywhere else around the world in further danger.

Thank you.

A well thought and written memorandum to the pastor in question. My main quibble is still the whole "your actions may cause others to be harmed, which would place part of the blame on you" direction of part of your post. Again, to me when it comes to legal speech it is "all on them, none on us." By even giving a smidge of respectability to extrimist behavior via "well, we made them do it by saying bunnies aren't fluffy" allows said extrimists to avoid responsibility for their asshattery.

Sad thing is he has a lot of followers/supporters (aka fools).

he doesn't. his congregation has about 50 wackos....

i think maybe the media shouldn't have encouraged him by publicizing this. i know that's not what the press does, but sometimes maybe we shouldn't give attention to scum.... especially if it is going to endanger people.

Ahh, thanks for the claificiation on flock size.

In any case it is 50 fools too many.

Sir,

I have seen news reports of your proposed burning of the Koran on 9/11/2010. I am writing to respectfully request that you do not undertake this symbolic gesture. Those of us with family and friends in the military - no matter what country they serve - suffer daily strain and concern about our loved ones who risk their lives to defend us. What is a symbolic gesture to you, may result in yet more dead US and other servicemen and women.

Your 'gesture' sickens real Christians, Jews and any other faith, as well as those of no faith. I was raised to ask one question when it comes to making big decisions in life: "What would Jesus do?". The Jesus I know would not burn the holy book of another faith. Nor is it the American way. We are not a nation of book burners - we are a nation of free people, we do not burn books - we embrace them. We embrace anyone, of whatever faith, who comes to us in peace. What you seek to do further drives a wedge between Christians and Muslims.

In the name of Christ, I ask you to reconsider. Please do not put my family, my friends, and the family and friends of other Americans, and other nations, in Afghanistan, Iraq or anywhere else around the world in further danger.

Thank you.

A well thought and written memorandum to the pastor in question. My main quibble is still the whole "your actions may cause others to be harmed, which would place part of the blame on you" direction of part of your post. Again, to me when it comes to legal speech it is "all on them, none on us." By even giving a smidge of respectability to extrimist behavior via "well, we made them do it by saying bunnies aren't fluffy" allows said extrimists to avoid responsibility for their asshattery.

I cannot change the minds of extremists - of any religion. If there are increased attacks on innocent civilians around the world in response to this stupid gesture... then that Pastor will have their blood on his hands as much as those who harm innocents. 'But for your actions'.... There is nothing to be gained by burning books - any books. It is pointless, stupid and meaningless.... but I travel around Europe... I would prefer that people like me not become targets for extremists because some fucking asshole who's probably never stepped outside the fucking country does something stupid. I don't mind having my life put at risk for the right reason - say, because of Afghanistan or Iraq.... but not for some publicity whore of a Pastor.

His book burning will get soldiers killed just like the protests of a prayer center near GZ will.

Burning a book or protesting a mosque is not a reason for murder. Anyone who believes that is an asshole nutjob.

I can understand the concept of the anger over the book burning (any Koran is considered a holy item, not just a book) but anyone who thinks killing is a proper response for this needed a JDAM dropped on thier head.

I infer you believe there is a good reason(s) for murder. What are they?

Sir,

Thank you.

I can understand that sentiment....

However, actions bring reactions....and these people have not been reared in the same manner as us, they have been taught revenge is holy, a whole nuther thing...and since they are our enemy, we should know them and their antics, and know that they will USE something like this, to further their own asshattery.

Sir,

Thank you.

I can understand that sentiment....

However, actions bring reactions....and these people have not been reared in the same manner as us, they have been taught revenge is holy, a whole nuther thing...and since they are our enemy, we should know them and their antics, and know that they will USE something like this, to further their own asshattery.

Thanks Care, much better said than I could have.
Violence begets violence.
sigh....

Last edited:
radicalislam.gif

You're treading a very fine line there on freedom of speech.

The freedom of speech only protects us from government suppression. It does not protect us from others voicing strong opposition.

So unless someone is advocating that a government agency stop this guy, then they are not advocating a violation of freedom of speech.

The only place were the gov't could step in on this would be if bonfires are not allowed...and I'm sure that it has been cleared already.

It appears that the Western guy's left index finger is held higher than the point at which his neck was severed...therefore, the tip of his finger should have been cut off along with his head.

This drawing is unrealistic.

You're treading a very fine line there on freedom of speech.

The freedom of speech only protects us from government suppression. It does not protect us from others voicing strong opposition.

So unless someone is advocating that a government agency stop this guy, then they are not advocating a violation of freedom of speech.

The only place were the gov't could step in on this would be if bonfires are not allowed...and I'm sure that it has been cleared already.

Last I heard they were having trouble getting a permit over a local no-burn ordinance. But I haven't been following the details, no need really.

Yes a well done fear creating cartoon. Very typical of what I get in viral right wing emails.

OK... don't like cartoons? How about the real thing? Oh... and I'm sure this isn't meant to "create fear." I mean who in their right mind would be afraid of having their fucking HEAD SAWED OFF? It's not a big thing... right?

DELETED image - .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a well done fear creating cartoon. Very typical of what I get in viral right wing emails.

OK... don't like cartoons? How about the real thing? Oh... and I'm sure this isn't meant to "create fear." I mean who in their right mind would be afraid of having their fucking HEAD SAWED OFF? It's not a big thing... right?

image deleted

Now that you've posted that disturbing picture, I am changing my mind.

I now WANT Pastor Terry Jones to burn some Korans!

That will teach them!

you got that right. i feel that the building of the mosque in new york is a slap in the face to the memory of those who died that terrible day, as the burnibg of the koean would be to the manyfollowers of islam who are not radicals. itis certainly not an act of cristianity, but instead goes completely against the teachings of our Lord

image deleted

Now that you've posted that disturbing picture, I am changing my mind.

I now WANT Pastor Terry Jones to burn some Korans!

That will teach them!

Or maybe since there's so many islam lovers in here, the preacher ought to throw in a BEHEADING with some book burning... that ought to be acceptable... right? I mean since so many here like islam, maybe they'd then have no problem with Christianity. Seems logical to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back