That Darn Mini Spare

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I've got a GM pickup truck with the mini spare mounted under the truck bed.

Every year, I'd think "I should really look at that, check the inflation, and make sure the mechanism still works. Otherwise, a flat tire could leave me stuck.". And every year, I'd never get around to it.

And so, 15 years later, today ... a flat tire leaves me stuck. That mini spare would not lower. The latch thing was rusted solid, and I was unable to loosen it or break it.

On the bright side, it was a pleasant day, and the tow truck only took 90 minutes. And I got to experience a 65 mph blowout on the interstate, just to make my life more exciting.

What I'm saying is that's one maintenance item you shouldn't keep putting off.

Another thing people forget about maintaining is hood latches.Go lubricate them with some WD-40 or equivalent. Not being able to open the hood could also prevent a repair. I had the hood latch not work because I didn't do that, but at least it was in my garage. Someone on YouTube showed me how to bend a coat hanger a certain way so that it could spring the latch.

As far as the mini spare goes, it's still stuck there. After 15 years of road salt, that latch is a solid piece of rust. Heck of a design, GM. I may have to cut it out. Maybe stick the mini spare in the "back seat", which isn't big enough to hold a human anyways.

Every year, I'd think "I should really look at that, check the inflation, and make sure the mechanism still works. Otherwise, a flat tire could leave me stuck.". And every year, I'd never get around to it.

And so, 15 years later, today ... a flat tire leaves me stuck. That mini spare would not lower. The latch thing was rusted solid, and I was unable to loosen it or break it.

On the bright side, it was a pleasant day, and the tow truck only took 90 minutes. And I got to experience a 65 mph blowout on the interstate, just to make my life more exciting.

Another thing people forget about maintaining is hood latches.Go lubricate them with some WD-40 or equivalent. Not being able to open the hood could also prevent a repair. I had the hood latch not work because I didn't do that, but at least it was in my garage. Someone on YouTube showed me how to bend a coat hanger a certain way so that it could spring the latch.

As far as the mini spare goes, it's still stuck there. After 15 years of road salt, that latch is a solid piece of rust. Heck of a design, GM. I may have to cut it out. Maybe stick the mini spare in the "back seat", which isn't big enough to hold a human anyways.
/---/ My father in law was a car killer. Bought new and drove it till the engine seized. Never an oil change, he'd just top off the oil till it was to the top of the stick. He claimed a mechanic told him that once. He then bought a new one the whole time cursing the crappy cars he got stuck with.

/----/ I have always gone over my cars on a monthly basis with WD40 and silicon spray for all moving parts and, hinges and window gaskets. Even graphite spray for the door locks. I get tired of them and trade them in before they ever wear out. That's my issue.

Last edited:

/----/ I have always gone over my cars on a monthly basis with WD40 and silicon spray for all moving parts and, hinges and window gaskets. Even graphic spray for the door locks. I get tired of them and trade them in before they ever wear out. That's my issue.

Even graphic spray

NSFW?

WTH? It didnt come with a full sized spare?

/----/ I have always gone over my cars on a monthly basis with WD40 and silicon spray for all moving parts and, hinges and window gaskets. Even graphic spray for the door locks. I get tired of them and trade them in before they ever wear out. That's my issue.

Even graphic spray

NSFW?
/----/ Sorry iPhone auto correct

Ahh yes the joys of road salt. I live in a lake effect snow belt and am well familiar with it. My truck reminds me to do this automatically when the emergency brake cable to the rear brakes seizes up. Not to mention my frame was replaced due to rust under a recall. First gen Toyota Tacoma. Thing is a tank especially off road and amazingly reliable with an unfortunate flaw that it is prone to rust. I originally bought it to be my winter vehicle with 4wd. Now it is a pampered summer off road/fun vehicle. 2004 with less than 80k miles! It's gonna be a classic lol.

Even graphic spray

NSFW?
/----/ Sorry iPhone auto correct

I hate that!

15 years is a long time to put off regular maintenance.

When a got a flat tire, with my 2016 Dodge Dart, not many weeks after acquiring it, I pulled all the stuff out of the trunk, pulled out the trunk floor, and found a tire-sized space, containing a filler that took up that space, with a smaller space inside of it containing a portable air compressor with a built-in can of sealant. WTF? No spare tire, no jack. Not even a stupid “compact spare”.

It was in the late evening, and I was fortunate to be able to get a tow truck to get me to a Pep Boys just minutes before they would have closed, in order to replace the tire. A few minutes later, and I would have been screwed, with no way to get home, and no way to get to my job the next day.

I have never heard of a Pickup Truck with a mini spare

A few weeks ago, when I was pulling out of a local convenience store in my wife's new Beemer, a woman drove up IN her 5-series, and asked me if I had a donut. Taken back, I told her I had no desserts in the car, and drove away. A few days later, it dawned on me that she was referring to a TIRE, and not not a pastry. I don't think I would have helped her out anyway (I think we have run-flats), but I guess it was stupid of me to miss her point so thoroughly. In fact, more to the point of this thread, I guess I should check and see exactly what I have.

A few weeks ago, when I was pulling out of a local convenience store in my wife's new Beemer, a woman drove up IN her 5-series, and asked me if I had a donut. Taken back, I told her I had no desserts in the car, and drove away. A few days later, it dawned on me that she was referring to a TIRE, and not not a pastry. I don't think I would have helped her out anyway (I think we have run-flats), but I guess it was stupid of me to miss her point so thoroughly. In fact, more to the point of this thread, I guess I should check and see exactly what I have.
/----/ Years before GPS I was visiting family far from home. I walked out of Home Depot because they didn't have what I needed. I asked a guy walking in where the nearest Lowes was. He gave me directions and when I got there it was Lowes movie theater. Was that you?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back