Thanksgiving's Coming

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
My favorite jello salad. It's not too sweet and has no disgusting canned cherries.

LIME COTTAGE SALAD

upload_2018-11-2_13-59-3.png

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound Cottage Cheese (Hoods Country Style works well) drain any excess water
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
  1. Drain the pineapple well and save the juice.
  2. Mix the jello according to directions on the box, using all of the pineapple juice as the liquid, adding enough water, if needed, to make the right amount on package.
  3. Put the jello in the refrigerator until it is partially set.
  4. Mix in the cottage cheese and pineapple, celery and nuts.
  5. Put into a mold or pretty dish and refrigerate till firm.
  6. Enjoy!

While the wife and her family are at a local eatery schmoozing

We like to add some chopped up raw cole slaw (cabbage and carrot) with some raisins to our jello dishes. Instead of cottage cheese we use Cool Whip whipped cream.

We are having our big Friends Thanksgiving party tomorrow and I am so excited. There will be 17 of us for dinner. I've spent most of the day cleaning and will now spend the rest of it cooking. Yay!

I'll post pictures once I have the table all set and pretty.

Anyone else love mixing cranberry sauce with mashed potatoes ?

We like to add some chopped up raw cole slaw (cabbage and carrot) with some raisins to our jello dishes. Instead of cottage cheese we use Cool Whip whipped cream.
That sounds interesting, except I don't touch cabbage. But if I did, I'll bet I'd like it. But you use Cool Whip in the same salad with cabbage?

I'm all about the cornbread stuffing and turkey gravy. Turkey is just a delivery mechanism for these.

Oh, and homemade cranberry sauce.

That sounds interesting, except I don't touch cabbage. But if I did, I'll bet I'd like it. But you use Cool Whip in the same salad with cabbage?

Yup, my gramma was big on fiber, roughage she called it. You could go with Mandarin oranges instead of pineapple, with orange flavored jello too. Or cherries with Cherry jello, not the cherries in a can but Marachinos or fresh ones if you can find them.

While the wife and her family are at a local eatery schmoozing
Your wife's family doesn't invite you to Thanksgiving with them?

Of course they did.

and, other than hello, from some of them, I'm ignored.

This year, I'm not going
Sorry. Throw a baked apple in oven and have it for dessert--they'll all be jealous.
STUFFED BAKED APPLES WITH WALNUTS AND DATES
Oven 350

exps16148__TH10206C10.jpg

Core and peel top two inches of good sized baking apples.

Combine chopped dates, walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Stuff the apples, heaping it up some. Place in baking dish.

In saucepan, combine
  • 2 cups apple juice
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup red hot cinnamon candies
Heat until sugar and candies are dissolved.

Pour juice mixture (still hot) over the apples and into the baking dish. Bake at 350 around an hour, basting every 15 minutes.

Serve still warm with either a generous glug of heavy cream (my favorite) or vanilla ice cream.

If you can't be bothered with dates and cinnamon candies, stuff 'em with brown sugar (pack it in good), a sprinkle of cinnamon and a pat of butter. Heat water spiked with maple syrup or more brown sugar, drizzle over apples and bake, basting every 15 minutes.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mdk
My favorite jello salad. It's not too sweet and has no disgusting canned cherries.

LIME COTTAGE SALAD

View attachment 226277
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound Cottage Cheese (Hoods Country Style works well) drain any excess water
DIRECTIONS
  2. Mix the jello according to directions on the box, using all of the pineapple juice as the liquid, adding enough water, if needed, to make the right amount on package.
  6. Enjoy!

I want to make that because I never have.

Look, people, cranberry is never going to go away if you keep eating that disgusting stuff.

Stop it, stop it right now!

LIME COTTAGE SALAD

View attachment 226277
INGREDIENTS
DIRECTIONS
  6. Enjoy!

I want to make that because I never have.
Hope you like it!

Look, people, cranberry is never going to go away if you keep eating that disgusting stuff.

Stop it, stop it right now!
I love cooking them. They "pop" when they're done.

Anyone else love mixing cranberry sauce with mashed potatoes ?
Seek help.

Seriously.....

:biggrin:
It reminds me a little of a casserole I had a few times where a friend threw EVERYTHING left over from Thanksgiving -- turkey, squash, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, potatoes and cranberry sauce -- into a baking pan, stirred it up and heated it through in the oven. It was not as gross as it sounds. And there would be a cranberry in there every so often, like in a forkful of mashed potato.

New Topics

Forum List

Back