thanksgiving or chritmas?

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
post some stories of both. hows that annie?

Last edited:
some stories of both.

Please someone fix the title!

I love both holidays, for different reasons.

Thanksgiving of course is food and more food. Other than that, it's about giving thanks, hopefully with the people we care about most; something to be thankful for in and of itself. Plans are made for Christmas and New Year's. We always pick our grab bag names on Thanksgiving for Christmas. The anticipation for Christmas starts with that Thursday, followed quickly with the Advent season.

Christmas is all about children, from the very first one. I miss having little ones around, but Christmas of '10 will have my first grand niece or nephew and I can't wait! Which brings me back to thanks. My first grand person will be Angie and Jay's child. Those that have known me for awhile know that Jay has suffered with a brain tumor, 2 neuro surgeries and 6 weeks of radiation. Thanks to modern medicine, they were able to have children.

I usually have the 'gang' here for Christmas, though last year we had it at my SIL's mom's. All the kids and their spouses or significant others come. If all stay together by December, we'll be at 16. Not too many, not too few. I need to start thinking about menus. ;)

The holidays bring memories of those we love, that are gone. Since my mom died, we always have offered a toast to her, now my dad. I think it's nice and sort of chases away those blues that creep up.

We rarely go home anymore for Thanksgiving. We save the vacation time for Christmas and get a longer stretch with people then.

I like Thanksgiving, it signals the start of the Christmas season for me. We put up decorations and cook a nice dinner. Not turkey and ham but all stuff we like.

I've already started Christmas shopping and I wrap as I go. My favorite time of year.

I always liked July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays the best cause it usually consisted of a family reunion of sorts. But now that we're spread all over the US, that doesn't happen much any more.

Also, in the past we've only given gifts to the kids each year with adults exchanging Christmas cards. But my kids are grown and gone so that may change this year!

thanksgiving was always fun when i was a kid.....my dad's dad used to buy live birds and we would chop their heads of in his garage and let them fly around headless.....then grandma would cook them up.....

christmas was always cool because we would hike out to the old family ranch and cut down christmas trees in the snow.....

now it is just me the wife and the kids....very quiet....very peaceful....very civilized....:lol:

thanksgiving was always fun when i was a kid.....my dad's dad used to buy live birds and we would chop their heads of in his garage and let them fly around headless.....then grandma would cook them up.....

christmas was always cool because we would hike out to the old family ranch and cut down christmas trees in the snow.....

now it is just me the wife and the kids....very quiet....very peaceful....very civilized....:lol:

I know, I miss the chopping off the turkey head thing as well. :eusa_sick:

One Christmas when I was about 8 years old, my Mom won a raffle, for 2, 10ft, stockings full of toys, one for her family and the other went to the charity of her choice. That was soooo awsome. They delivered the 10ft stocking to our house in a big truck, I don't remember much more because I was in a world of fun.

Oh my! We never had such excitement! :eusa_pray: On the other hand, I remember one Christmas morning, my darling daughter was about 3. I took her to my mom's to help get dinner ready for 30, the boy was with his dad. As we walked in the door, dd said, "Oh it smell sooo good in here!" This was the same question she told Santa that her Christmas wish was to have Santa bring her every Campbell's soup, except tomato! (I did feed her, I promise!)

Anyways we finally follow the scents to kitchen and the Turkey was in the roaster, stuffed and trussed. dd squeels, "Oh good, dog for dinner!" :eek:

Forum List

Back