Thanksgiving in February

Secret Ingredient

I have a secret special sauce I use for multiple varied dishes such as Linguine with Veal and Shrimp Tomato Soup.

The sauce is comprised of pancake syrup and mayonnaise (I use maple and Hellman's, and the ratio is a deep-dark secret for friends who are involved in my Bartleby Bistro Project).

By the way, dried cranberries just doesn't have the same feel as sun-dried tomatoes, does it?

carmensandiego.jpg

So,i wanted to tell you guys what I did last Sunday.
I bought a whole chicken. About 4.5 pds. I made some simple stuffing with a few herbs salt and pepper. I took two sticks and boudain and removed the skin. Lightly fried it so it would crumble. I mixed the sausage with the stuffing and stuffed the chicken with it.
I made a cranberry glaze. Melted down a can of cranberry sauce added powder sugar, cayenne and a bit fo water.
I poured a bit of glaze into the chicken.
Rubbed the chicken down with salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne. I grilled it on low indirect heat for about 2 hours or so. Just a kiss of peach tree wood smoke. Ten minutes before it was done, I covered it in the glaze.
It was fucking amazing. It was cooked perfectly and probably the juiciest chicken I ever ate! And beautiful as well.
Thinking about doing it again this weekend with peaches or dark cherries.
Pics coming
So you're a house bitch just like me? :)

Did the cherry thing yesterday. It was awesome. ChrisL, I only changed a couple things. I used about half the amount of ketchup and about half of the brown sugar and used cayenne. I had to use cherry preserves... Could not find ANY cherries fresh, frozen or canned. NONE
Still, it came out amazing.
Will do again! I could almost eat that stuff with a spoon lol

Did the cherry thing yesterday. It was awesome. ChrisL, I only changed a couple things. I used about half the amount of ketchup and about half of the brown sugar and used cayenne. I had to use cherry preserves... Could not find ANY cherries fresh, frozen or canned. NONE

No pictures?

Last week I baked a huge chicken. One of these lasts me several meals.

I always cleave them in half down the middle, then slick them up with olive oil, and then dust them with ground black pepper and sea salt. These are the only two spices -- pepper and salt -- that you need for most meats. All that other fancy stuff is just more unnecessary work.

These two halves then go into a big pan side by side to roast for up to 1 1/2 hours until the meat falls off the bone.

Normally you need to turn the two halves over at least once, so it is best to put the breast side down first, then after 45 mins turn it over with a meat fork.

This is when I spoon more oil from the pan drippings over them.

When roasted to perfection, I carve off the thighs and legs first and eat those right away. This can make a meal for two if you add potatoes and vegies.

The breasts go into the fridge for another day.

The next day I usually make chicken soup out of the trimmed breast meat. I add gumbo vegies to this and some beans. A full pot of this soup lasts me about 2 to 3 days.

That's as big a bird as I will ever roast. I did a turkey once and the meat lasted too long -- weeks on end.

I did a goose once and that was still too much meat.

A duck is about the same size as a chicken and the meat is darker and tastes better too. Breast meat on a duck is good enough to eat straight, same as dark meat off a chicken or turkey.

Last edited:

No pictures?
No :(
It looked like the other one just a tad darker.
I even put that sauce on my bisquit yesterday morning lol

No pictures?
No :(
It looked like the other one just a tad darker.
I even put that sauce on my bisquit yesterday morning lol

You bad boy!

Forum List

Back