Thanksgiving Ideas!

I am wondering, do you American types not think that the holiday season in America goes on a bit to long, with thanksgiving and then Christmas so soon after.I would be sick of the sight of Turkey.We only have one per year.

A long time ago I got tired of Turkey for Christmas and started cooking ham. Then I discovered Prime Rib Roasts. Bake some potatoes, make a salad, maybe some broccoli or asparagus and rolls, so much easier than Thanksgiving dinner.

I lived in Berlin for a short time...and during the Christmas, New Year season. We were invited to Christmas dinner. The host prepared lobster. It was interesting and invitingly different from the usual turkey affair.

I say, just cook what you want. If you want to bake a ham...go for it!

Turkey is rather easy to prepare, but what I hate is the disposing of that disgusting carcass. All the meat has to be sliced off, and stored, quickly after preparation. Sometimes, that is a pain in the arse....

Forget cutting all the meat off, throw the carcass in water and cook until the meat falls off, then take out the bones, separate the meat, cool the broth, get rid of the grease, and you have a great beginning for Turkey soup.

Truth to tell though, I'm hoping my father in law's girlfriend wants the carcass so I don't have to go through all those hours of boiling it.

As I think I posted elsewhere, I came out of Costco today at $175. 5 bottles of Korbel, 4 quarts of OJ., (yes we are speaking of mimosas). 2 boxes of appetizers for non-Thanksgiving, but prior to Christmas, holidayish if that makes sense? All the necessities for breakfast tomorrow for my family of 4. Bacon, eggs, turkey sausage, bagels, said oj, coffee, milk, etc.

I thought I was all ready for tomorrow, now I gotta go out for orange juice and champagne.

I LOVE Mimosas!

We used to have them on special on Sundays at TGI Fridays, I would down a bunch after my Sunday Brunch shift with my friends from work.

Yum, mimosas with some baked brie and artichoke hearts as apps,,,,,,,heaven!

I LOVE Mimosas!

We used to have them on special on Sundays at TGI Fridays, I would down a bunch after my Sunday Brunch shift with my friends from work.

Yum, mimosas with some baked brie and artichoke hearts as apps,,,,,,,heaven!

Mimosas go with all appetizers, even without. ;)

Mimosas go with all appetizers, even without. ;)

Yeah, suddenly I am craving one lol!

Maybe I should bring a bottle of Korbel to my brothers tomorrow.

*Did you know you should always make a mimosa with a dry champagne because of the sweetness of the orange juice.

:booze:

Yeah, suddenly I am craving one lol!

Maybe I should bring a bottle of Korbel to my brothers tomorrow.

*Did you know you should always make a mimosa with a dry champagne because of the sweetness of the orange juice.

:booze:
Yep, always go Brut!

I am wondering, do you American types not think that the holiday season in America goes on a bit to long, with thanksgiving and then Christmas so soon after.I would be sick of the sight of Turkey.We only have one per year.

We don't have turkey at Christmas. We are very casual and don't even set the table.. Everyone brings food and we graze.

We go all out at Thanksgiving though, watch the parades, eat, eat, eat and watch football. I am bringing the mashed potatoes and veggie dish so I'm ready.

LOBSTER is ALSO one of the traditional Thanksgiving day foods, folks.

Lobster used to be so plentiful that the Pilgrims fed them to their hogs.

I've read early accounts where, after a big storm, beaches would have a cpouple feet of lobsters washed up on the beaches.

Old timers here in Maine who lived through the depression tell tales about how they used to bring lobster sandwiches to school, and they'd throw them away rather than eat them at school, because they didn't want people to know HOW POOR THEY WERE.

LOBSTER is ALSO one of the traditional Thanksgiving day foods, folks.

Lobster used to be so plentiful that the Pilgrims fed them to their hogs.

I've read early accounts where, after a big storm, beaches would have a cpouple feet of lobsters washed up on the beaches.

Old timers here in Maine who lived through the depression tell tales about how they used to bring lobster sandwiches to school, and they'd throw them away rather than eat them at school, because they didn't want people to know HOW POOR THEY WERE.

Would you eat your sandwich or throw yours away editec? :lol:

;)

I am not ashamed of being poor, EZ. Shit happens.

Besides, I spent most of my life surrounded by people who were extremely well off scions, and since I know them to be (usally) not as smart as me, or as talented as I am either, the whole issue of how wealthy they were was basically a big yawn to me, (and to them, too, incidently)

There's always somebody who's going have more money than you.

But I do know that one can get pretty damnd sick of eating lobster, too, so I would tell you in all honesty, that it would probably depend on how often I was forced to eat it.

I am not ashamed of being poor, EZ. Shit happens.

Besides, I spent most of my life surrounded by people who were extremely well off scions, and since I know them to be (usally) not as smart as me, or as talented as I am either, the whole issue of how wealthy they were was basically a big yawn to me, (and to them, too, incidently)

There's always somebody who's going have more money than you.

But I do know that one can get pretty damnd sick of eating lobster, too, so I would tell you in all honesty, that it would probably depend on how often I was forced to eat it.

I was teasing you about your AGE, not your wallet silly man!

I'm not living the high life, compared to some people. Living on a prayer so to speak at this time in my life......

But, then I see the families where I teach, and know I have it pretty damn good. I'm in the middle, like a lot of Americans. But even with the little I have, I know I need to share to those that have less, eh?

Forget cutting all the meat off, throw the carcass in water and cook until the meat falls off, then take out the bones, separate the meat, cool the broth, get rid of the grease, and you have a great beginning for Turkey soup.

Truth to tell though, I'm hoping my father in law's girlfriend wants the carcass so I don't have to go through all those hours of boiling it.

WE had an 18 pound turkey, so we hacked it up into 4 pieces (the carcass, I mean), and I froze the pieces for soup down the road. What I'm really looking forward to is the bean soup with the leftover ham bone.

And, we did prime rib last year for Christmas, too. Delicious, and I used the bone after to make really nice stock.

Forum List

Back