Thanksgiving dessert

Grab whatever fruit is cheap and make a crumble. Quick, easy, cheap.

Fresh fruit for 20 this time of year gets expensive in a hurry.

But I just found out where we're going will have an extra 7 last minute guests. I'm in charge of dessert and only did 3 pies. I have a whole pile of apples in the kitchen. Good idea. :thup:

Another thing I do sometimes at the last minute is some kind of cake (I always keep a mix in the cupboard for emergencies) and instead of cooling completely and frosting, dust it with powdered sugar and bring that cool whip.

What do you have in the house and how fast do you need it? Do you have a good chunk of the couple hours or do you need super quick?

Super quick and cheap. And it's not my house, so I will need to run to the store, come back home, prepare it here, then take it to their house. I can't do it there, because I need the oven for the turkey (which someone was SUPPOSED to put in about 30 minutes ago) and casseroles. Hopefully, they haven't dug into the casseroles too.

really quick and not too expensive:

ginger snap cookies
soften goat cheese with honey

Smear a dab of cheese/honey on cookie. Eat. (While the cheese is expensive, you only put a bit on cookie).

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package low calorie chocolate cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the dark and light chocolate cake mix. Add the eggs and oil, mix until well blended. Roll dough into 2 inch balls, and place them onto the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with the back of a spoon.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
4. To make the filling, beat the cream cheese and confectioner' sugar together until smooth. Spread between two cooled cookies.

That sounds yummy. Maybe I'll make a few batches of those for Christmas, and put a cherry on top of each.

Yup, that's always good. I also make a mean "dump cake" which is easy. Problem is mine calls for about a half-pound of butter slices on top, and some of those guys are pretty portly already. They don't need all that added cholesterol and calories.

Ready in 15 min.

Strawberry Angel Food Dessert

1 (10 inch) angel food cake
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
1 (18 ounce) jar strawberry glaze

1. Crumble the cake into a 9x13 inch dish.
2. Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Mash the cake down with your hands and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
3. In a bowl, combine strawberries and glaze until strawberries are evenly coated. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill until serving

15 minutes? It would take me way more than 15 minutes just to wash and slice the strawberries!! And don't forget, I need to double any recipe.

But I just found out where we're going will have an extra 7 last minute guests. I'm in charge of dessert and only did 3 pies. I have a whole pile of apples in the kitchen. Good idea. :thup:

Another thing I do sometimes at the last minute is some kind of cake (I always keep a mix in the cupboard for emergencies) and instead of cooling completely and frosting, dust it with powdered sugar and bring that cool whip.

Cool Whip has saved me on many occasions. I love their strawberry flavored, too. It's great atop a lemon cake. CW can also be frozen.

If they ate up all the pies already, just give them some fruit.

They always have a huge bowl of fruit on the table at all times. Sometimes it just rots, depending on who's currently living in the house. It changes every 30 days.

The fuckers ate your shit beforehand??? Without axeing you???

The NERVE!!!

Tell them that there is no dessert because they fucked up! And then pull out a can of cling peaches in syrup.

Well I'm off to the store. Boedicca's gingerbread with Cool Whip wins, so I'll let yaw'll know tomorrow if it was a success.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are some terrific ideas, and since I don't cook that much anymore, it's always fun to go all out at least once or twice a year. Some of yours I need to try for just myself, though.

I hope everyone has a lovely day and has stocked up on Alka-Seltzer for way later.

Cool Whip has saved me on many occasions. I love their strawberry flavored, too. It's great atop a lemon cake. CW can also be frozen.

My kids don't even want me to frost cakes for home anymore. Devil's food, spice or lemon with a little dusting of powdered sugar and cool whip are their favorites. I'll have to try the strawberry with the lemon, it sounds right up their alley. Not fancy, but fine by me. It's cheap and easy and a bunch of frosting is too sweet for my taste anyway. I usually take most of it off. ;)

My kids don't even want me to frost cakes for home anymore. Devil's food, spice or lemon with a little dusting of powdered sugar and cool whip are their favorites. I'll have to try the strawberry with the lemon, it sounds right up their alley. Not fancy, but fine by me. It's cheap and easy and a bunch of frosting is too sweet for my taste anyway. I usually take most of it off. ;)

That's what happened yesterday. Someone brought out a huge can of applesauce and some preferred that on top. Then some preferred BOTH!

The day went fairly well, but for a sad incident later. One of the younger guys who had been complaining of stomach problems and had stayed in his room, everyone worrying he had some flu bug that would spread through the house, but later that evening, I got a call at home from the house manager who told me he had finally came downstairs and moments later had a seizure. He'd gone outside to smoke and did a flip right off the railing. At first they thought he was joking, then realized he was seizing. They called 911 and he's still in the hospital where he'll stay until a bed can be found at a rehab.

DAMMIT!! That's what can happen when you go on a binge and think you can just tough it out. Todd had only been in recovery for 30 days and was very lucky to get a spot at this particular halfway house, and, thinking as most do that he was "cured" and could now "control" his drinking, found out the hard way that it's impossible. When the manager told me about it, his chilling words were "It's too bad, but he's not done yet..." (Meaning, it may take many more tragic incidents before he gets it.)

Hope you all had a great day and thanks again for all the recipe ideas.

Yikes! In light of that incident, I'm thinking perhaps my avatar isn't so funny after all.
:eek:

Forum List

Back