Thanksgiving dessert

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Anybody have any good, quick recommendations? I have to leave in a couple of hours to finish up cooking for 20 people, and just found out they ate the pies last night! It's probably no big deal, but now I have nothing. And I don't want store-bought.

Thanks!

Anybody have any good, quick recommendations? I have to leave in a couple of hours to finish up cooking for 20 people, and just found out they ate the pies last night! It's probably no big deal, but now I have nothing. And I don't want store-bought.

Thanks!

Trifle. Made with lots of Rum, berry's, lady fingers/pound cake and whipped cream. Quick, easy and dozens of tasteful easy recipes on line.

Gingerbread topped with whipped cream. I generally make a double recipe for larger groups.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 cup molasses
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup hot water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
3. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.

What do you have in the house and how fast do you need it? Do you have a good chunk of the couple hours or do you need super quick?

Anyone with a reasonably stocked kitchen should have the ingredients for Gingerbread on hand.

:)

some fruit salad/ jello kind of thingy?

I swear I did not eat your pies. I did eat 1/2 of one here last night though.
Got some nasty looks from my cook followed by a smile.
Wonderful young lady. I am holdinig her baby on my lap as I type. Hope it does not barf on me ;) A funny look on it's face right now I expect diaper change time in a few.

Thanks!

Trifle. Made with lots of Rum, berry's, lady fingers/pound cake and whipped cream. Quick, easy and dozens of tasteful easy recipes on line.

Thanks, but I couldn't add rum. I'm cooking for 20 homeless veterans who live at a halfway house. No booze. I did think of that, though, trying to think of a rum substitute. Plus the ingredients are too expensive. I'm on the house's food budget, which is why although they thought it was funny to eat the pies, not so much when they realized they might not get dessert today.

Gingerbread topped with whipped cream. I generally make a double recipe for larger groups.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 cup molasses
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup hot water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
3. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.

Gingerbread is a great idea! Thanks. Although I think I'll go with a package. I don't have a whole lot of time to work with here. Both the mixes and Cool Whip are within budget.

What do you have in the house and how fast do you need it? Do you have a good chunk of the couple hours or do you need super quick?

Super quick and cheap. And it's not my house, so I will need to run to the store, come back home, prepare it here, then take it to their house. I can't do it there, because I need the oven for the turkey (which someone was SUPPOSED to put in about 30 minutes ago) and casseroles. Hopefully, they haven't dug into the casseroles too.

The food was for them to eat, does it matter when they eat it?
Turkey just came out of the oven here, first feding in an hour or so.
Did not eat breakfast to make room....

Wonderful young lady. I am holdinig her baby on my lap as I type. Hope it does not barf on me ;) A funny look on it's face right now I expect diaper change time in a few.

I've already made a traditional waldorf salad, which I wasn't foolish enough to drop off beforehand. I knew that would get eaten. I make it with whipped cream instead of mayo.

Hope the baby is napping by the time dinner is ready!!

Super quick and cheap. And it's not my house, so I will need to run to the store, come back home, prepare it here, then take it to their house. I can't do it there, because I need the oven for the turkey (which someone was SUPPOSED to put in about 30 minutes ago) and casseroles. Hopefully, they haven't dug into the casseroles too.

For 20? Then gingerbread from a mix and cool whip are a great idea. I did great gingersnaps from a gingerbread mix this year, but cookies are probably too much of a pain to deal with.

Don't be too mad at them. What good is cooking if you don't taste? :lol:

Although eating all the pies is a bit ill-mannered...

The food was for them to eat, does it matter when they eat it?
Turkey just came out of the oven here, first feding in an hour or so.
Did not eat breakfast to make room....

Yes, they really enjoy a sitdown dinner (like home). They have a huge dining room with a conference room type table that will seat 30 comfortably. So it will be buffet, but carried over to the table. They all need to prepare a brief prayer, names go into a hat, and whoever is drawn gets to say the prayer. It's really quite nice (football games always in the background, too, again just like home for them).

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 cup molasses
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup hot water

Directions

Warm Gingerbread is the bomb diggity!! good stuff! :)

For 20? Then gingerbread from a mix and cool whip are a great idea. I did great gingersnaps from a gingerbread mix this year, but cookies are probably too much of a pain to deal with.

Don't be too mad at them. What good is cooking if you don't taste? :lol:

Although eating all the pies is a bit ill-mannered...

I'm not mad. They think they're not getting dessert, so this will be a surprise. Hey, they're MEN, after all!!!

I've already made a traditional waldorf salad, which I wasn't foolish enough to drop off beforehand. I knew that would get eaten. I make it with whipped cream instead of mayo.

Hope the baby is napping by the time dinner is ready!!

I think he will be napping after a diaper change and burp, he emptied his bottle and has that look in his eyes.

Well off to the bathroom to do the smelly deed.
It is the least I can do for all this wonderful smelling food.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package low calorie chocolate cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the dark and light chocolate cake mix. Add the eggs and oil, mix until well blended. Roll dough into 2 inch balls, and place them onto the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with the back of a spoon.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
4. To make the filling, beat the cream cheese and confectioner' sugar together until smooth. Spread between two cooled cookies.

Ready in 15 min.

Strawberry Angel Food Dessert

1 (10 inch) angel food cake
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
1 (18 ounce) jar strawberry glaze

1. Crumble the cake into a 9x13 inch dish.
2. Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Mash the cake down with your hands and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
3. In a bowl, combine strawberries and glaze until strawberries are evenly coated. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill until serving

Uncooked Banana Pudding

ready in 10 min

8 ounces sour cream
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups whole milk
1 (16 ounce) package vanilla wafer cookies
4 bananas, peeled and sliced

In large bowl combine sour cream, whipped topping, pudding mix and milk. Stir well. In the bottom of a trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, put a layer of cookies, then a layer of pudding mixture, then a layer of bananas. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Refrigerate until serving.

New Topics

Forum List

Back