Thanksgiving Day plans???

Bonnie said:
That's partly true, the other reason is when people over eat the body doesn't know what to do with all those calories coming in at once so it shuts down, and you get sleepy. Carbs are mainly to blame for that, like Shattered said, the potatos, and stuffing.

No no no.... no1tovotefor is correct, it's the tryptophan.

Bonnie said:
That's partly true, the other reason is when people over eat the body doesn't know what to do with all those calories coming in at once so it shuts down, and you get sleepy. Carbs are mainly to blame for that, like Shattered said, the potatos, and stuffing.

I don't eat potatoes, I'm allergic. :(

Actually our standard fare on Thanksgiving day is seafood. This year I am doing shrimp enchiladas w/ green chile, camarones a la diabla (yes more shrimp!), steak fajitas, beans and rice, and fried ice cream. I will be cooking a nice lobster bisque to start us off...

However it is more fun to talk about tryptophan and its effects on the body, or whether it has that much of an effect.
:sleep:

no1tovote4 said:
I don't eat potatoes, I'm allergic. :(

Actually our standard fare on Thanksgiving day is seafood. This year I am doing shrimp enchiladas w/ green chile, camarones a la diabla (yes more shrimp!), steak fajitas, beans and rice, and fried ice cream. I will be cooking a nice lobster bisque to start us off...

However it is more fun to talk about tryptophan and its effects on the body, or whether it has that much of an effect.
:sleep:

That sounds delish!!!!!!!!! Lobster Bisque one of my favorites............Mind sharing the recipe with us downstairs???

Mr. P said:

You're loopy. :) You just *want* it to be, so you can use it on your wife. :)

Mr. P said:
Okay..I take it all back...

The Answer

Now, back to our original question. Does the tryptophan in turkey make you sleepy after eating a big Thanksgiving turkey dinner?

Sorry to say, that if you're looking for the sedative effect, it's unlikely you'll get it from eating meats like turkey. L-tryptophan doesn't act on the brain unless you take it on an empty stomach with no protein present. So it probably isn't at fault for the sudden drowsiness that hits right after the meal when the football games come on, and the dishes are waiting!

It's more likely due to the combination of drinking alcohol and overeating - not just turkey, but also mashed potatoes, ham, creamed onions, cranberries, sweet potatoes, peas, stuffing (or dressing, if you prefer), carrots, bread, pies, and whipped cream - all of which have the effect of puling the blood away from your brain to help your digestive tract do it's work, and the sugar/insulin effect.
http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/FoodSafety/foodtryptophan.php

Bonnie said:
That sounds delish!!!!!!!!! Lobster Bisque one of my favorites............Mind sharing the recipe with us downstairs???

I posted it in the recipe area.

Under Simple Lobster Bisque.

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm one of the ONLY people that still has the energy to wash all the dishes after dinner.

I don't mind. I don't have to spend the next week losing 10lbs of water weight, and being cranky cause my ankles have swollen over my shoes. :D

Forum List

Back