Thanks Superman

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
OTTAWA, Kan. — A 32-year-old dad in eastern Kansas was being hailed as a superhero for lifting a car off a child. Nick Harris was dropping his 8-year-old daughter at school last week when he saw a car back out of a driveway and run over the 6-year-old girl. He said he ran over and grabbed the rear end of the car and lifted as hard as he could to get the tire off the child.

The girl escaped with minor injuries. Her family said they're so grateful Harris was in the right place at the right time.

Harris said the best thanks he got was when he visited the child later that day and she gave him a big hug and said "Thanks Superman."

The Associated Press: Kansas dad manages to lift car off 6-year-old

It's so nice to read stories like this around the holidays. Or any time I guess.

i wonder if he could do it without a kidlet under the tire.....

but what is important is he did it.....he didnt just drive off....

great guy, i wish i could rep him

i wonder if he could do it without a kidlet under the tire.....

but what is important is he did it.....he didnt just drive off....

great guy, i wish i could rep him
He said on TV that he later tried numerous times to duplicate his feat with the same model car. He couldn't budge it.

I think it's a combination of the adrenaline and the car being a bit off balance (not flat) from having the little girl under it. If he tried lifting the car when it was a bit off balance like that, that would be a better personal test for how well his adrenaline helped him.

Great story. I like that sort of stuff.

I think it's a combination of the adrenaline and the car being a bit off balance (not flat) from having the little girl under it. If he tried lifting the car when it was a bit off balance like that, that would be a better personal test for how well his adrenaline helped him.

Since the child escaped serious injury, we can logically conclude the car wasn't "off balance."

And it wouldn't be anyway, since a child's body is not analogous to a curb, a brick, or a steel ramp. Ever see someone trapped under a car? I have. The car is not off balance, it's touching the ground very well thank you -- through the crushed body.

A child's body wouldn't even overcome the springs and the shocks, much less lift the car off-balance.

Since the child escaped serious injury, we can logically conclude the car wasn't "off balance."

And it wouldn't be anyway, since a child's body is not analogous to a curb, a brick, or a steel ramp. Ever see someone trapped under a car? I have. The car is not off balance, it's touching the ground very well thank you -- through the crushed body.

A child's body wouldn't even overcome the springs and the shocks, much less lift the car off-balance.
No, I've never seen a car on top of a human, thankfully. If that is the case (that the four tires are still coplanar), then it really is lucky that the kid is OK.

No, I've never seen a car on top of a human, thankfully. If that is the case (that the four tires are still coplanar), then it really is lucky that the kid is OK.
If she'd really had one of the tires on her, she would not have escaped with minor injuries. It's far more likely she was (luckily) pinned under the ground-effects fairing or the fuel tank. It's a really good thing the driver apparently stopped, for if the child had gotten under the frame that's usually just as bad as a tire.

If she'd really had one of the tires on her, she would not have escaped with minor injuries. It's far more likely she was (luckily) pinned under the ground-effects fairing or the fuel tank. It's a really good thing the driver apparently stopped, for if the child had gotten under the frame that's usually just as bad as a tire.

That would depend on where she lay.

It was a driveway. Concrete. In this example.

It was a driveway. Concrete. In this example.

without getting gross, I meant what part of her lay under the tire, and what they consider "minor".

I saw "thanks superman" and the first thing that crossed my mind was, "Your welcome".

New Topics

Forum List

Back