Thanks Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too much drama. I thought Peyton Place had gone off the air.

The only advice I have for the new owners is not to stifle too much aggression. I also run a board. It has a non-negotiable "No flame" rule. Long story short is that folks tend to look once or twice, yawn, and then not come back. I'm not saying not to have your choice of rules, after all its your board. Just warning against hammering the nails so deep they mar the wood.

hasta la c'ya

Way too much drama. I thought Peyton Place had gone off the air.

The only advice I have for the new owners is not to stifle too much aggression. I also run a board. It has a non-negotiable "No flame" rule. Long story short is that folks tend to look once or twice, yawn, and then not come back. I'm not saying not to have your choice of rules, after all its your board. Just warning against hammering the nails so deep they mar the wood.

hasta la c'ya

Having been on your board for quite awhile, I think you'll find some similarities. We are giving an adjustment period, as so many were used to the old rules and call 'fouls' when they are really 'outs.' It really is a matter of choice, which I believe was your point all along.

Having been on your board for quite awhile, I think you'll find some similarities. We are giving an adjustment period, as so many were used to the old rules and call 'fouls' when they are really 'outs.' It really is a matter of choice, which I believe was your point all along.

Yeah, I was hoping to attract a core of left and right that could actually debate something without all the venom. By now you know I hate being labeled anthing other than a realist. Choice is the thing. Good thing about the internet is that if you don't like it here, there, or yonder then "somewhere else" is only a click away.

Yeah, I was hoping to attract a core of left and right that could actually debate something without all the venom. By now you know I hate being labeled anthing other than a realist. Choice is the thing. Good thing about the internet is that if you don't like it here, there, or yonder then "somewhere else" is only a click away.

Great summation of three pages. Thanks Peg!

I have to say, I really liked your board, but never could get 'accepted' by the core. I understood and really enjoyed reading the posts.

While it's no secret that I'm 'conservative' anyone that reads my posts know I'm not exactly in lockstep with the truebelievers. I would be even more libertarian, if they didn't keep fronting such idiots.

Two posts were moved to the closed post, 'about reading pm's', it would behoove some posters to read those, before posting more on this topic.

And you agree that it was unscrupulous? You might not want to answer that directly. In any case, if you are more comfortable there, good for you. If you feel that we are not allowing free expression of opinions or you have privacy issues or don't like rep or smilies, leave.

If you are comfortable, stay. If you are comfortable we don't wish to be dealing with conspiracies of pm's, rep, etc. Actually, we will not deal with those. We DO NOT have hidden forums outside of moderation/admin-whoops there is one which Greg is 86'ing, (do that Greg, please), after some 'honorable' mod pruned many entries, before releasing a mass mailing. Funny thing that.

In any case, those that are comfortable should stay. Those not, should go.

Okay. Bye. If y'all can't even answer questions concerning unilateral decisions that DO affect members, then I'm NOT comfortable here anymore. I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing coming from you.

Okay. Bye. If y'all can't even answer questions concerning unilateral decisions that DO affect members, then I'm NOT comfortable here anymore. I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing coming from you.

We all make our choices. I'm surprised at you too, but I respect your decision. Bye.

We all make our choices. While I'm surprised at you too, I will always admire your forthrightness, but I respect your decision. I also respect your service. I'm sorry to see you go. Bye.

It's been pretty interesting hearing from posters over the past few weeks and particulary the past day since first posting this thread, thought I'd share some observations...

*I'd say it's no surprise that most seem quite capable of posting on multiple boards, without running others down. I think that says alot about the poster. Different boards have different tones and memberships. I post on some pretty liberal boards and some that are more conservative than our current membership. What's of import to me are the topics. Sure I like a bit of chit chat, but I guess less than most, though I have a few 'friends' on all the boards I visit. The 'blog' section lets me chit chat on things of importance/relevance to me, you might wish to check that out. We do not have 'hidden forums' which were popular here in the past. All are welcome, until they choose not to be.

*A few seem to feel caught between boards, I don't know why it's an issue. No loyalty oaths are taken here. :rofl: All we ask is if you have a complaint while visiting us, pm us. If you don't agree with the management, leave. We promise: We will NOT stalk you, threaten you, or try to make you feel guilty. Our goal is to build a strong community of differing points of view, so that we can all learn from one another. Sometimes I learn best from those I truly disagree with, though I've learned to answer them based on their perspective, a truly valuable lesson to learn.

*A surprising number of posters asked if we are aware of some of the accusations about the owner and administrator here? Yes, we have read other sites as guests. Even if I didn't read, there have been numerous attempts by some to post their accusations on this site. The whole brouhaha was brought on by obvious solicitation of our members, while also spreading innuendo about the whole pm system. That was brought to my attention by members here, which helped in identifying a serious problem.

What was truly astounding about that was that prior to a 'head's up'; I was giving out the address for the new board. I had also let Greg know that I was, knowing that many would want to keep in contact with old 'friends'. Some of those very posters are now calling me fascist! LOL! Poor trolls. I had made that clear to that owner and other moderators on that board. That's all I know, as I have not logged in there for quite a long time. My feelings were hurt for a few days, then I realized that everyone was being true to form, I had just ignored those particular personality features, when they didn't hurt me. It stopped hurting after recognizing that, after all it's just alternative reality. ;)

*What is not alternative reality are true threats against one's livelihood, with information to make it known that it's meant. I had been appalled at such an attempt on one of the moderators here months ago by a poster. It was dealt with by the moderator, his boss, and the owner of the board, quite properly. I guess that is why I was shocked when it happened to me, by some of those involved with the earlier problem. While that has been dealt with, using the example that had come earlier, any further harrassment/stalking will be through the proper authorities.

I am saying this with all seriousness, since we've seen it before in posts-do not, REPEAT, DO NOT make threats against anyone for any reason. (Yes, that includes those things which the poster will say, 'I was just joking, he lives across the country...'). If you need help dealing with another poster, contact staff. If the poster's very existence bothers you, breathe deeply and walk away. If you make threats, you will be banned, permanently.

*Which brings me to another point. Greg has been true to his word, contrary to the nonsense that others have brought up. I cannot think of one instance where he didn't back up the staff. That some chose not to be honest in their dealings with him or did not like that he wouldn't follow the old rules, there was no help for that, nor in the results.

Because he hasn't been heavy handed, I think the moderating has been light. The infraction system, which I admit to thinking 'childish' in the beginning has helped. No need for 'time outs', each poster knows where they stand and that's that. There hasn't been flaming by mods/admin. to members and there has been NONE* that I've seen from posters to staff, *psychoblues who is gone for a considerable period now, will be perm banned if he chooses to repeat his flaming, With the notable exception of threads in this announcement section. Which is why I posted this:

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=527526&postcount=13

Surprise, some chose to try it and were banned, their threads deleted. They thought it unfair. Sorry, it's not.

We're all grown ups, you makes your choices. Unlike in the past, we are not going to have the threads where members get to bash staff. I think we all have better things to do. We do not want to put our posters 'out' for days, weeks, months, only for them to return again and cause the same brouhahas. Sure it helps the post counts, for a bit, but costs so much more in quality. I guess this addresses those that have noticed that the site is more serious, less 'personable' than in the past. The personable will come over time, out of respect. No, it's not about bashing others, no matter their political ilk. Sure, some will be razzed, but for posting repeatedly in the wrong forums or something along those lines. Just screaming, "Pile on" on similar, no. Those that have remained and those that have joined/rejoined are quality posters. Even where there's been extreme differences in opinions, respect/humor have won out. That's what I first found here back in 2003 and is here again.

*I want to say thank you to those of you that have pm'd me about how the site is now being administered. Some were taken by surprise that I don't wish to respond to what's being said about the way I post or how much I post on other sites. All I can say is let some of those try living my life. There is some relief to going to alternative reality, when reality is kicking you in the teeth. Regarding my ability to post on news, I will quote, "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." --Charles Caleb Colton. It fits several, though they do not do it nearly as well, (yea, I know an inferiority complex is not what I suffer from.)

We are happy to see that some of the 'drama' is now going down and that those that wish to post feel comfortable doing so. Hopefully others will return, without feeling they need only post on one site. To those 'new', welcome! This really is a new site, with new ownership, and a desire to build a community through the net. Do not be put off by this announcement section, it's part of our transition, but you will be happy you joined. Whether or not you are from the US, conservative, liberal, libertarian, or heavens forbid, a conspiracist, welcome!

As for the 'kissing Greg's ass' nonsense, fo! I mean that in the nicest possible way, ft's! ;)

I looked up to you when I joined this board. You were most kind. Beyond a doubt.

I asked you a straight forward question, you closed the thread. I then took it personal, and you still refuse to answer to me.

You know me better, however, I am not sure I know you anymore. I have always been an outsider/poster, you have known this and appreciated it. What gives now?

Honestly.

I have PMd you, with no response. Then again, PMs are the question in terms of privacy. I implore you to help me understand.

Yurt

I looked up to you when I joined this board. You were most kind. Beyond a doubt.

I asked you a straight forward question, you closed the thread. I then took it personal, and you still refuse to answer to me.

You know me better, however, I am not sure I know you anymore. I have always been an outsider/poster, you have known this and appreciated it. What gives now?

Honestly.

I have PMd you, with no response. Then again, PMs are the question in terms of privacy. I implore you to help me understand.

Yurt
I don't think anyone should need to 'look up to me.' We're adults, 18 is minimum for those not lying. I'm glad you liked me at some point, but that's not the case now from what I've read.

Seriously, you don't 'know' me anymore than I 'know' you. THAT has been made very clear with this transition. I should have been more aware of it back when, but I got it now. How could YOU have missed it? It's not between 'us', never was or will be. I've 'seen' what you posted elsewhere, yes, it's colored my view of the net, as it would any thinking person that thought they 'knew' others. That was addressed, I've read the threads open to guests, big surprise.

With that said, are you welcome? Sure. Will I respond to each pm you send me, to defend point by point stuff? No. I will and did respond to reasonable. You haven't crossed any lines, you are still here, still posting. As for the insinuation we are not responding, pfffttt. If you are not comfortable here, there are places waiting with open arms, go. If you are, fine, you are welcomed here. Post away.

I think we can begin to move on from this debacle. Thanks for your initial kind works Kathiannne and anyone with questions left can PM either of us. Now lets go out and chitchat! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back