Thanks for What?

That's a broad sweeping generalization about the left. IMO, government is wasteful and inefficient. We can cut back without hurting people.

I have no problem with reducing the size of the government. I have a problem with keeping the Bush tax cuts for the rich.
This government is vastly inefficient and corrupt beyond Einstein's imagination.

The Pentagon and HUD seem to be where much of the fraud takes place with Wall Street and the 1% positioned to reap the profits.

I don't see how to change that at the polls by "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat.

I understand your point. We can't give up and give in to despair. What I'm not going to do, is be at war with other citizens over left or right leaning solutions to our very dire financial circumstances, as a country and worldwide.
It would certainly be easier to make changes if the 99% would spend more time looking for common ground than for ways to undermine each others arguments. There does appear to be a centuries-old divide between conservatives and liberals that is on display today.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, some of Monarchy's most loyal servants were rural conservatives who choose their king over democracy. Like many of today's conservatives they were very good foot soldiers, perfectly willing to die or kill innocent human beings for the glory of their assorted Lords and Masters.

Despair won't help us find the right answers; however, any solutions we do find will not be politically acceptable to well over one-third of contemporary US voters, probably.

This government is vastly inefficient and corrupt beyond Einstein's imagination.

The Pentagon and HUD seem to be where much of the fraud takes place with Wall Street and the 1% positioned to reap the profits.

I don't see how to change that at the polls by "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat.

I understand your point. We can't give up and give in to despair. What I'm not going to do, is be at war with other citizens over left or right leaning solutions to our very dire financial circumstances, as a country and worldwide.
It would certainly be easier to make changes if the 99% would spend more time looking for common ground than for ways to undermine each others arguments. There does appear to be a centuries-old divide between conservatives and liberals that is on display today.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, some of Monarchy's most loyal servants were rural conservatives who choose their king over democracy. Like many of today's conservatives they were very good foot soldiers, perfectly willing to die or kill innocent human beings for the glory of their assorted Lords and Masters.

Despair won't help us find the right answers; however, any solutions we do find will not be politically acceptable to well over one-third of contemporary US voters, probably.

Nonetheless, taking pot shots at each other isn't working. The problem is much deeper than one party or the other.

It's the corruption on both sides.

The vast majority of Americans, no matter how little they have, are grateful for what they do have. Especially if they have their good health. Money can't buy that. It can get the best care money can buy, but ask Michael J. Fox how he's doing with his full recovery from Parkinson's.

this is the poison of leftism in general.

We live in a democratic state. I have lived in on for all my 53 years, and I am grateful for that I have visited an anti democratic state twice. That increases the gratitude factor substantially.

I have been out of work for more than two 1/2 years, partly due to the economy but mostly due to a really stupid mistake that makes getting a new job very hard, and impossible in the industry where I spent most of my career. I have done quite well despite that.

I live in the 21st Century, not the 14th. There is enough to be grateful for right there.

My kids are healthy. When they were really young they got all kinds of awful shots, but they missed out on smallpox, diphtheria, Chicken pox, measles, Rubella, TB and all the rest of it. I had to have chicken pox. They survived pregnancy, and provided the boy survives the insanity that is a normal boy's teen age years they should booth live to a ripe old age.

When I was in Moscow I visited the palace there, where they have a museum of how the Tsars lived. They thrones were gilt or ivory, they had fancy jeweled and gilt carriages (they had the one Alexander II was blown up in on display) but the windows were mica or just empty air, they had to use garderobes and several of them died of the incompetence of doctors.

Worrying about others does not really do you any good. Count what you got, be grateful for that. You really don't want to lack any of it. We all of us live richer and better lives than the emperors did a century ago.

I'll tell you what the poor, and any other American have to be thankful for today.

You can be thankful that in America, you have the liberty to voice the complaints you do here, without fear of the State knocking on your door in the middle of the night. You can be thankful that the vast majority of Americans have had that freedom bought, paid for and guarded today by someone other than themselves.

You can be thankful, that Americans are the most generous giving people on the planet. Yes, there is still poverty, and want, but today, all across America, people who are homeless and down on their luck, will sit down to a Thanksgiving dinner provided, NOT be the government, but by the generosity of their fellow Americans, and cooked for and served to them by their fellow Americans who volunteered to take time from their own celebration to see that the less fortunate have one.

You can be thankful, that while you enjoy at least a hot meal, if not a feast, other Americans are voluntarily having an MRE on some cold, rocky ridge half a world away from home and family, protecting your right to bitch about what they do and how they do it. Some of them won't come back; there is a vacant place at their family's table, that may never be filled again. If there is no vacant chair at YOUR table, be thankful for that; it is better than dinner with all the trimmings, where there is one.

Incidentally, with all your supposed concern for the poor, how will YOU spend this day? Have you taken food to a family in need? Will you be volunteering at the homeless shelter, this year? Did you take some food to your local food bank, or even write a check to buy some? Well, DID YOU? Or is your "compassion" just a bunch of good intentions, mixed with a desire to score political points? We all know you can talk the talk, but do you walk the walk? Or do you let someone else take care of that, or ask government to do it for you? You don't have to have money to give of yourself-just give your time; you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:
Americans have no concept of what real poverty is. Because not one of us lives in real poverty. Not one. And Thank (insert deity of choice here) for that.

Republicans are working on that.
Congress is rapidly approaching the status of nonfactor in finding new solutions:

"Old rules are being used in newly aggressive, partisan ways, and routine Congressional activities have become politicized — most notably, the vote to raise the nation’s debt ceiling. Once a nonissue, it brought the nation to the brink of default.

"As former Republican Congressman Mickey Edwards points out, 'Leaders of both chambers have embraced the strategy of precluding minority amendments, out of fear that even members of the majority party might vote for them.' This means, Edwards argues, that 'to be in the minority is essentially to be made a nonfactor in the legislative process.'”

Republicans AND Democrats depend on the 1% to fund their campaigns.
Any politician that deviates from party doctrine will face a well-funded opponent in her next primary.

Our Reading Guide on Congressional Dysfunction - ProPublica

I'll tell you what the poor, and any other America have to be thankful for today.

You can be thankful that in America, you have the liberty to voice the complaints you do here, without fear of the State knocking on your door in the middle of the night. You can be thankful that the vast majority of Americans have had that freedom bought, paid for and guarded today by someone other than themselves.

You can be thankful, that Americans are the most generous giving people on the planet. Yes, there is still poverty, and want, but today, all across America, people who are homeless and down on their luck, will sit down to a Thanksgiving dinner provided, NOT be the government, but by the generosity of their fellow Americans, and cooked for and served to them by their fellow Americans who volunteered to take time from their own celebration to see that the less fortunate have one.

You can be thankful, that while you enjoy at least a hot meal, if not a feast, other Americans are voluntarily having an MRE on some cold, rocky ridge half a world away from home and family, protecting your right to bitch about what they do and how they do it. Some of them won't come back; there is a vacant place at their family's table, that may never be filled again. If there is no vacant chair at YOUR table, be thankful for that; it is better than dinner with all the trimmings, where there is one.

Incidentally, with all your supposed concern for the poor, how will YOU spend this day? Have you taken food to a family in need? Will you be volunteering at the homeless shelter, this year? Did you take some food to your local food bank, or even write a check to buy some? Well, DID YOU? Or is your "compassion" just a bunch of good intentions, mixed with a desire to score political points? We all know you can talk the talk, but do you walk the walk? Or do you let someone else take care of that, or ask government to do it for you? You don't have to have money to give of yourself-just give your time; you'll be glad you did.

Some of us work on behalf of the needy every day. We don't make a big deal out of it on Thanksgiving.

Nonetheless, I thank anyone who helps others ANYTIME.

We are supposed to be the richest nation in the world, but conservatives will turn a blind eye to or "poo poo" the income inequality here because poor people in this country have microwaves.

Hell the poor here have 50" plasma screen TV's!

Nonetheless, taking pot shots at each other isn't working. The problem is much deeper than one party or the other.

"One senator on the super committee, Democrat Max Baucus of Montana, told The Washington Post, 'We’re at a time in American history where everybody's afraid — afraid of losing their job — to move toward the center. A deadline is insufficient. You’ve got to have people who are willing to move.'”

I think Max may have accidentally got one right.

Unless the 99% proves willing to move 99% of elected Republicans AND Democrats out of DC, there will never be a deadline that gets any attention on Capital Hill. The same social networking tools that fill Tahrir Square could mobilize millions of US voters to send Max and every other DC incumbent a pink slip next November.

That wouldn't eliminate the potential for corruption, but it would level the political playing field for those of us earning less than $350,000 a year.

Americans have no concept of what real poverty is. Because not one of us lives in real poverty. Not one. And Thank (insert deity of choice here) for that.

You are absolutely correct - Americans have no concept of what real poverty is. But on the other hand, the majority of Americans have no concept of what real wealth is either and never have.
I sure do. It's a hell of a lot more fun hanging with friends in a shack in Nicaragua, with no electric, than it would be hanging out under a bridge in the empire with a lunatic.

Attachments

• $p1010708.resized.jpg
    $p1010708.resized.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 69
  • $p1010706.resized.jpg
    $p1010706.resized.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The vast majority of Americans, no matter how little they have, are grateful for what they do have. Especially if they have their good health. Money can't buy that. It can get the best care money can buy, but ask Michael J. Fox how he's doing with his full recovery from Parkinson's.
I agree.
After working and volunteering for a local Meals-on-Wheels program for ten years, I've come to the conclusion that becoming home bound and dependent on others for all facets of your existence is about the last future I would choose. I suppose even that level of existence is easier for the 1%, but I know it's a real challenge for those living in poverty and below.

I agree.
After working and volunteering for a local Meals-on-Wheels program for ten years, I've come to the conclusion that becoming home bound and dependent on others for all facets of your existence is about the last future I would choose. I suppose even that level of existence is easier for the 1%, but I know it's a real challenge for those living in poverty and below.

Keep in mind that conservatives want to cut services for the elderly.

"One senator on the super committee, Democrat Max Baucus of Montana, told The Washington Post, 'We’re at a time in American history where everybody's afraid — afraid of losing their job — to move toward the center. A deadline is insufficient. You’ve got to have people who are willing to move.'”

I think Max may have accidentally got one right.

Unless the 99% proves willing to move 99% of elected Republicans AND Democrats out of DC, there will never be a deadline that gets any attention on Capital Hill. The same social networking tools that fill Tahrir Square could mobilize millions of US voters to send Max and every other DC incumbent a pink slip next November.

That wouldn't eliminate the potential for corruption, but it would level the political playing field for those of us earning less than $350,000 a year.

I am happy to vote every one of those dysfunctional representatives out. They don't know how to work for the American people.

Petty bickering is bs.

this is the poison of leftism in general.

We live in a democratic state. I have lived in on for all my 53 years, and I am grateful for that I have visited an anti democratic state twice. That increases the gratitude factor substantially.

I have been out of work for more than two 1/2 years, partly due to the economy but mostly due to a really stupid mistake that makes getting a new job very hard, and impossible in the industry where I spent most of my career. I have done quite well despite that.

I live in the 21st Century, not the 14th. There is enough to be grateful for right there.

My kids are healthy. When they were really young they got all kinds of awful shots, but they missed out on smallpox, diphtheria, Chicken pox, measles, Rubella, TB and all the rest of it. I had to have chicken pox. They survived pregnancy, and provided the boy survives the insanity that is a normal boy's teen age years they should booth live to a ripe old age.

When I was in Moscow I visited the palace there, where they have a museum of how the Tsars lived. They thrones were gilt or ivory, they had fancy jeweled and gilt carriages (they had the one Alexander II was blown up in on display) but the windows were mica or just empty air, they had to use garderobes and several of them died of the incompetence of doctors.

Worrying about others does not really do you any good. Count what you got, be grateful for that. You really don't want to lack any of it. We all of us live richer and better lives than the emperors did a century ago.
I'm glad your children are healthy, but I'm wondering if they have the same access to the "American Dream" that you did?

We all live richer and better lives than emperors did because the cultural inheritance of mankind has increased exponentially since the time of the Tsars. I would argue the 1% have taken an undue amount of that historical dividend for themselves while leaving the scraps for the rest of us to fight over.

And the gap between the 1% and the 99% grows ever wider.

I'll tell you what the poor, and any other America have to be thankful for today.

Some of us work on behalf of the needy every day. We don't make a big deal out of it on Thanksgiving.

Nonetheless, I thank anyone who helps others ANYTIME.

As I do, Sky; but there is so much more we COULD do, if more people would give just a little of their time and talent. This isn't a partisan issue, or at least, it shouldn't be. Today, as we give thanks for the blessings even the least of us enjoy, seems a good time to say that. A few hours a week can do a lot of things-give someone the gift of literacy, give kids mentors and role models, build houses for people who otherwise wouldn't have one, clean up our streets and our parks, take meals to shut-ins; we can shape the kind of communities we live in, instead of waiting and hoping for someone else to do it, or government to do it. There are organizations of all kinds that needs volunteers; everything from trained people to someone to stock shelves, serve food, make deliveries or man telephones. A lot of people help, but so many more who could, don't. If just a small percentage more would help do little things, we could do so many great things.

We can't solve every problem just by throwing more money at it; we need to throw time, energy and talent at it. It matters; it matters, a lot.

We are supposed to be the richest nation in the world, but conservatives will turn a blind eye to or "poo poo" the income inequality here because poor people in this country have microwaves.

You may be listed as poor by a government lackey but let's get real here.
Poor people have.

A place to live.
Big screen TV's,Xbox PS3
Heat,hot water,electricity.
Food,clothes education.
They are in bad shape of course but have tons of help
from government.

Technically poor yes...but not third world poor.
The left wants you to believe that they are fighting over the
last can of cat food but it's far from it.

Under this President we have the most people on food stamps.
The administration doesn't have a plan to overcome this it seems.

Neither Republicans NOR Democrats have any intention of reversing income inequality.

Both parties are fully responsible for tax rates on the super rich that are now lower than they've been in three decades.

Both parties ignore revenue solutions to the long term budget deficit so that tax rates aren't raised on the 400 richest Americans whose wealth is larger than the combined wealth of the bottom 150 million Americans.

Experts are predicting the 2012 presidential race could cost $6 billion, enough for even John McCain to point out, "It is far worse than it has ever been."

"If there's a single core message to the Occupier movement it's that increasing concentration of wealth and income at the top endangers our democracy. With money comes political power."

The First Amendment Upside Down. Why We Must Occupy Democracy | Common Dreams

Forum List

Back