Thank You to Our Veterans

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
"We sleep soundly in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."
-Winston Churchill-

I salute all the men and women who had the courage to serve our country. Thank goodness we have a national day on your behalf.

"We sleep soundly in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."
-Winston Churchill-

I salute all the men and women who had the courage to serve our country. Thank goodness we have a national day on your behalf.

Well I do wish the rules for their national day were a bit differnent. All vets should get the day off regardless of where they are working. If I were running a restaruant, vets would eat free today. If I were running a bar, the first two drinks would be on me.

I do thank the vets for their sacrifices for our freedom.

I too, salute you.

thank you to all who have served honorably and put your life on the line for freedom!

it is the veteran, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

it is the veteran, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

it is the veteran, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

it is the veteran, not the organizer,
who has given us the freedom to assemble.

it is the veteran, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

it is the veteran, not the politician,
who has given us the right to vote.

may God bless all America's veterans.​

In Europe, it's called Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, or sometimes "Poppy Day". At 11am GMT in Britain, there is 2 minutes silence to remember the fallen and say thank you to those who have made our freedom their personal responsibility.

Millions of people buy a 'poppy' to wear (a paper one) and the proceeds go to help those who have been badly injured or the families of those killed. Use of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance stems from this poem, written by a Canadian during WWI

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae

So, I'm a little late on this occasion, but....

Thanks to all of you, British and American servicemen. Thanks also to you families, whose sacrifice is sometimes more than anyone should have to bear.

To all those who have served this great country (and the country of my birth - Great Britain)...I thank you for all your sacrifices, for your service and for my freedom.

Have any of you picked up a newpaper today....?
Was there ANY mention of Veterans Day on the front page?
On any page?
Big article or small?

I looked at my local papers...nothing on the front page
a couple of major city rags....same thing...

Small articles, inside the paper...you would miss them if not actually looking for them...
sad....

:drillsergeant:

:salute:

Thank you, Veterans!

You are welcome.

Served in Vietnam from Nov 1965 to Nov 1966 in the early years.

BEST BEER I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE (3 BEERS ACTUALLY)

On return home trip we flew from Saigon to Tokoyo and were able to deplane during refueling. Where do you think about 175 guys head to under those circumstances -- THE BAR. We had a few beers and most of us SMOKED REAL CIGARETTES INSIDE THE BAR. No one gave it a thought.

Then we flew to Anchorage, then to Trafvis AFB, Calif.

Then on to San Francisco Airport.

I was age 20 (by a few months) - we belly up to the bar at the San Francisco Airport - in uniform. Drinking age in Calif was 21. I had to use a FAKE I.D. to purchase a 12 oz beer while on my way home from Viet Nam.

Prior to going to Viet Nam I had the fake I.D. made by a buddy.

In Europe, it's called Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, or sometimes "Poppy Day". At 11am GMT in Britain, there is 2 minutes silence to remember the fallen and say thank you to those who have made our freedom their personal responsibility.

I would support something identical done here in the US. Hate the war, not the warriors. The treatment Vietnam vets got when they got back here from the war was disgusting.

Have any of you picked up a newpaper today....?
Was there ANY mention of Veterans Day on the front page?
On any page?
Big article or small?

I looked at my local papers...nothing on the front page
a couple of major city rags....same thing...

Small articles, inside the paper...you would miss them if not actually looking for them...
sad....

Unfortunately, American culture could give two craps about its veterans. Smaller, more rural cities near military bases do, but by in large Americans don't care. It's a definite drawback to being an American. In Israel, it's very different.

You are welcome.

Served in Vietnam from Nov 1965 to Nov 1966 in the early years.

BEST BEER I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE (3 BEERS ACTUALLY)

On return home trip we flew from Saigon to Tokoyo and were able to deplane during refueling. Where do you think about 175 guys head to under those circumstances -- THE BAR. We had a few beers and most of us SMOKED REAL CIGARETTES INSIDE THE BAR. No one gave it a thought.

Then we flew to Anchorage, then to Trafvis AFB, Calif.

Then on to San Francisco Airport.

I was age 20 (by a few months) - we belly up to the bar at the San Francisco Airport - in uniform. Drinking age in Calif was 21. I had to use a FAKE I.D. to purchase a 12 oz beer while on my way home from Viet Nam.

Prior to going to Viet Nam I had the fake I.D. made by a buddy.

At least you can drink on base. I've always felt if you are old enough to give your life for your country, you are old enough to drink.

Clark S and I were drafted into the Army that day 1 April 1970 from our small town in Oklahoma.

We had gone to high school together. Now we went through basic training together.

That was the last time I ever saw him.

Clark S. stepped on a mine while in Nam.

I still can't visit the Wall......................

Unfortunately, American culture could give two craps about its veterans. Smaller, more rural cities near military bases do, but by in large Americans don't care. It's a definite drawback to being an American. In Israel, it's very different.

Not true, at least here in Indy.

We always have a big Veterans Day Parade, and the newspaper and the tv stations cover it, and pay tribute to our vets. We honor and respect them, it's a shame that other cities don't. {if that's true}

Millions of people buy a 'poppy' to wear (a paper one) and the proceeds go to help those who have been badly injured or the families of those killed. Use of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance stems from this poem, written by a Canadian during WWI

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae

So, I'm a little late on this occasion, but....

Thanks to all of you, British and American servicemen. Thanks also to you families, whose sacrifice is sometimes more than anyone should have to bear.

It used to be called Armistice Day here as well. Don't know when nor why they changed it.

Not true, at least here in Indy.

We always have a big Veterans Day Parade, and the newspaper and the tv stations cover it, and pay tribute to our vets. We honor and respect them, it's a shame that other cities don't. {if that's true}

It's not true here either. Now this is just my opinion based on observation, but the second you get off the East or West Coasts, we get a lot more respect.

Forum List

Back