Thank you President Obama!

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
So as long as we're on the roll of blaming Obama for the decisions people who he hired make, Obama's Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazaar has announced the re-opening of the Statue of Liberty's crown beginning July 4!!! Thank you President Obama!! I plan to be one of the first people to visit the crown on July 4. I never got to do this as a kid.

statueliberty.jpg

Statue of Liberty crown to reopen July 4th - 5/08/09 - New York News and Tri-State News - 7online.com

NEW YORK -- The Statue of Liberty's crown, with its exhilarating view of New York's skyscrapers, bridges and seaport, is reopening on Independence Day for the first time since terrorists leveled the World Trade Center just across the harbor.

Safety and security issues have been addressed and 50,000 people, 10 at a time, will get to visit the 265-foot-high crown in the next two years before it is closed again for renovation, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said Friday.

"On July 4, we are giving America a special gift," Salazar said at a news conference on nearby Ellis Island. "For the first time in nearly eight years we will once again be able to have one of the most awesome experiences in the world."

Interior Department officials said they had not yet determined how to choose who climbs to the top. Spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said a lottery is one possibility. Salazar "wants the tickets to be distributed not based on your connections but in a fair and equitable way," she said.

A long time ago, you used to be able to go up in the torch, as well.

After renovations, will everyone be able to go up to the crown?

When I visited the Statue of Liberty in 1967 with my parents the torch had already been closed the previous year.

Apparently there were concerns about the stuctural integrity of the arm especially with thousands of visitors every day.

So as long as we're on the roll of blaming Obama for the decisions people who he hired make, Obama's Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazaar has announced the re-opening of the Statue of Liberty's crown beginning July 4!!! Thank you President Obama!! I plan to be one of the first people to visit the crown on July 4. I never got to do this as a kid.

statueliberty.jpg

Statue of Liberty crown to reopen July 4th - 5/08/09 - New York News and Tri-State News - 7online.com

NEW YORK -- The Statue of Liberty's crown, with its exhilarating view of New York's skyscrapers, bridges and seaport, is reopening on Independence Day for the first time since terrorists leveled the World Trade Center just across the harbor.

Safety and security issues have been addressed and 50,000 people, 10 at a time, will get to visit the 265-foot-high crown in the next two years before it is closed again for renovation, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said Friday.

"On July 4, we are giving America a special gift," Salazar said at a news conference on nearby Ellis Island. "For the first time in nearly eight years we will once again be able to have one of the most awesome experiences in the world."

Interior Department officials said they had not yet determined how to choose who climbs to the top. Spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said a lottery is one possibility. Salazar "wants the tickets to be distributed not based on your connections but in a fair and equitable way," she said.

Glad to see he is focusing on important problems!

Believe it or not, it wasn't that great a thing to do, I went on a school trip in the 60s.

The windows wern't open as in that picture david posted.

I was actually disapointed with it.

I don't care. I want on this list. I have always wanted to go up in that damned thing. I'll drive to New York by myself if I have to.

DavidS--
I believe I share your enthusiasm and desire to visit the many historical locations, museums and monuments of this great country, but lets give thanks where thanks is due. That would be a huge thank-you to G.W.Bush for ensuring that the Statue of Liberty and all other historical points of interest are still here after 7.5 years so that king obama can come in, wave of his arm, snap his fingers and declare it "all safe".

statueliberty.jpg

You'd better apply for your lottery ticket now, 'cause that's how it's being handled....

One of the best things the French ever gave us was that statue.

I thought it was the fact that france gave the US freedom (the statue is only the symbol to remember the fact that it were the french that gave the US its freedom). It is doubtful that the US could have liberated itself without the help from the french. (but the US returned the favor back in WWII, by liberating the french from the germans)

Actually a lot of important US buildings are also "french", the architecture of the US captital building for example.

Btw did you know that there is a small eifel tower in the statue? (I also didn't know that until recently) It s made by the same guy that made the eifel tower, that is why he used a similar construction. It s really kind of weird that the statue of liberty is also a version of eifel tower.

Last edited:
You never went to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, DavidS?

And you're a New York City resident, too, aren't you?

Typical.

My EX, lived in Queens and she has never been there either.

It's an amazing thing to visit.

I was there when I was about 7 years old.

Do IT!

New Topics

Forum List

Back