"Thank You For Your Service"

How about "Thanks for wearing the uniform"? I would never say such a thing if I wasn't sincere about it.

Even if I don't always agree with the frequency with which our Commander-in-Chief decides to use our militarily overseas, I greatly respect all those that served.

Why ?...I do not disrespect them but why would I have any greater respect for them than the average joe ?

So you don't think someone who serves in the Military deserves more respect than someone who works in Pizza Hut for example?

No I do not...you have no clue who the person behind a pizza hut counter may be and a uniform is no real measure of a man either..to give respect based on ones employment or uniform makes little sense..

The other thing eots, is what is going on in the world. We are at war. When I was at prime age to enter the military it was real safe. We were not in any major conflicts and the reality is that I would have spent four years in the military and would almost certainly have never seen actual combat. That's not the case today. When someone enlists in the military now, they know good and god damn well they are probably going to be deployed into a combat situation. Yes it's a choice they make, but today they are making the choice to fight. When I was that age we were making the choice to get money for college and getting shot at was the last thing on our minds.

We are not at war...and there are more dangerous professions..try fishing the Bering sea in January

We are not at war?!?!?! Really?!?!? I know several thousand soldiers in the Middle East who might find that surprising. And yes, there are other professions that are very dangerous as well, granted. Fishing is certainly one of them, but again I come back to the point. Without fishermen, society eats more beef and chicken. Without a military we don't exist.

Where did you get that crazy Idea ?

Last edited:
How about "Thanks for wearing the uniform"? I would never say such a thing if I wasn't sincere about it.

Even if I don't always agree with the frequency with which our Commander-in-Chief decides to use our militarily overseas, I greatly respect all those that served.

Why ?...I do not disrespect them but why would I have any greater respect for them than the average joe ?

So you don't think someone who serves in the Military deserves more respect than someone who works in Pizza Hut for example?

I can't speak for Eots, but I don't, in the sense that the one who served in the military doesn't deserve any special status for choosing that particular career path. They were well aware that they could be thrusted in harm's way. And all this is coming from an ex-Royal Engineer. In terms of employment, I disrespect people who choose to remain unemployed or make no effort to better themselves; not people who just happen to earn less than the next man.

The 'thank you for your service' line is almost exclusive to the U.S. in the West. And to be brutally honest it comes across as insincere, as well as some kind of apology for not serving themselves.

I can't speak for Eots, but I don't, in the sense that the one who served in the military doesn't deserve any special status for choosing that particular career path. They were well aware that they could be thrusted in harm's way. And all this is coming from an ex-Royal Engineer. In terms of employment, I disrespect people who choose to remain unemployed or make no effort to better themselves; not people who just happen to earn less than the next man.

The 'thank you for your service' line is almost exclusive to the U.S. in the West. And to be brutally honest it comes across as insincere, as well as some kind of apology for not serving themselves.
It is being PC when you get right down to it. And that is very amusing and ironic.

No I do not...you have no clue who the person behind a pizza hut counter may be and a uniform is no real measure of a man either..to give respect based on ones employment or uniform makes little sense..

I don't disrespect people that work at Pizza hut....but have they laid their lives on the line for YOU?

It is an invasion to serve the military industrial complex..afghanistan is no threat to us

You say they're no threat to us...but those Afghans in the military, who are being trained by our military, are killing our soldiers that are training them!! They hate us...and those soldiers over there do not know any longer who to trust. But they're still fighting so you have the right to be stupid!

I always felt awkward since I really didn't do that much.

Served during the Cold war and Desert Shield/Storm, but didn't do more than my duty

You still served.....it doesn't matter if you job was to be in harms way or to be a pencil pusher. They all had an important job. You were lucky you didn't have to go to war. You should still be proud :)

Someone who serves you at risk of life, limb, and years of misery doesn't deserve a little graditude?
If that is your opinion you are a pathetic excuse for a citizen vet or not.

Forum List

Back