Thank you for your service. Now piss off!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Bootneck, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Bootneck

Bootneck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    It never ceases to amaze me as to how the present administration in Britain treats the needs of veterans who have served the country in combat, particularly in the area of mental health. They do not hesitate to send us to fight their wars in the most goddamned awful places, but when we’re done it’s thank you for your service, here’s a campaign medal, now piss off.

At least the MoD goes through the motions, but senior government seems not to care. After all, why would they waste budget on those past their ‘sell by date’.

This report is typical:

What our prime minister seems to ignore is that Britain has a 'duty of care' to its armed forces. This began as an unspoken pact between society and the military as far back as the 17th century and was formally codified as a 'covenant' in 2000. It is not a law but is reinforced by custom and convention.

The covenant only officially applies to the army, but its core principles are taken to extend to the air force and navy too.

Sorry to whack on about this, but it does anger me. Are US vets treated with the same contempt by government?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    bootneck good to read you....i read your post but i am a little more concerned about you...and how you are doing etc...let us know....you have been missed....i know i didnt get here till you were leaving but i have kept you in my pagan prayers...

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bootneck, I think the US government backs the troops and retired, but not to the degree they've earned. I do think that in the main, most Americans agree, regardless of politics.

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    i do not think us vets are well treated....instead of being given the basic treatments they should be given the state of the art medical treatments that politians receive...

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Depends, Boot.

Sometimes the vets were treated well, and sometime not.

And, judging from what I'm hearing how Vets are treated in our Vets hospitals really depends on what part of the country you;re in, too.

Here in Maine the Vet hospital is fairly good.

Elsewhere it's pretty damned shoddy according to Vets I know who've been in other areas.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    We actually have a good one in Brooklyn from what I'm told. But the reality is that there are waits and right now I'm not sure the VA is equipped to deal with all of the injured returning vets. I have been told that it takes months for a vet with PTSD to see a doctor, but again, I was told that a while back. I don't know if it's still the case or if that was across the board since it's just anecdotal.

but this site deals with a lot of vet concerns, bootneck, perhaps it will answer your questions.

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Its just crazy how vets are treated here.

I have hope that it will get better under Obama.

8. Bootneck

Bootneck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    Thanks SB! No worries. I'm fine, or will be once I adjust to normalcy. Got back Saturday and haven't done much since then except mooch around here. Plan to spend some quality time with family and friends - and any young women who may be interested:evil: -over the next few weeks.

Out with some of the lads later for :booze::booze::booze::booze::booze::booze:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    riddle me this?

why dont vets have state of the art artifical limbs? i am talking about state of the fucking art...ankles that move....wrists that turn.....borg bullshit ...hell yes...why not?

items like these:

http://www.pipoinc.com/services.htm

cost is why...they are willing to give it all...the governments all of them....want to give as little as possible...

if i were empress.. doctors who received government funds for education would not be forced into the military but would be allowed to work off ...allowed my ass...forced to work off their loans by giving time to these vets...treating vets free of charge...companies would be donating or selling state of the art shit at cost....if i were empress....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    it is just good for you to be home....takes a while to unwind...