Thank you Canada

Yukon

Rookie
Feb 7, 2009
Our Canada is a beautiful country at any time of the year, but is particularly breathtaking in the fall when the Thanksgiving celebration occurs. In autumn, leaves turn spectacular colours - red, orange, yellow and brown and fall to the earth as trees prepare for winter. The leaves are so brilliant as to appear almost neon in colour! Children love to make leaf piles and jump in them. The air is cool and crisp. Everything seems sharper and clearer.

Our Canadian Thanksgiving is held the second Monday in October, unlike the American Thanksgiving, which falls in November (is just an excuse to watch Football games). Some people believe this is because Canada, being farther north, has an earlier harvest. Others think that having Thanksgiving in November interfered with Canadian Remembrance Day, a day set apart each year on November 11th to remember those who died in wars. At any rate, deciding to have Thanksgiving in October when the weather is still warm enough for Canadians to enjoy the outdoors was a great idea!

Thanksgiving in Canada provides an opportunity for Canadians to give thanks for having the good fortune to live in a bountiful, free country, and to celebrate that day by feasting with family and friends.

Thank you Canada !

Our Canadian Thanksgiving is held the second Monday in October, unlike the American Thanksgiving, which falls in November (is just an excuse to watch Football games).

I generally celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving watching Monday Night Football.

I would be thankful too every year to be not thrown in jail if I were you Yukon.

Do you know why Canadians have Thanksgiving? Because America has Thanksgiving and Canadians wanted a holiday in October, so they made one and called it "Thanksgiving" like the Americans without all the pilgrims and stuff.

True story.

Do you know why Canadians have Thanksgiving? Because America has Thanksgiving and Canadians wanted a holiday in October, so they made one and called it "Thanksgiving" like the Americans without all the pilgrims and stuff.

True story.

Instead of calling it "Canadian Thanksgiving", they should have called it "Thanksgiving, eh?".

Hmmmmm - Mrs D who has just this day flown out of Melbourne on her way to TO for a few weeks told me it can be rather unpleasant this time of year. I hope the weather there is good for her though. She's not fond of rain but likes the snow (although it's too early for snow at this time I have been advised. I'd love to see a proper autumn with trees changing foliage colour and all.

Thank you Canada, for providing a real country with a park to hang out in when we're bored.

Hmmmmm - Mrs D who has just this day flown out of Melbourne on her way to TO for a few weeks told me it can be rather unpleasant this time of year. I hope the weather there is good for her though. She's not fond of rain but likes the snow (although it's too early for snow at this time I have been advised. I'd love to see a proper autumn with trees changing foliage colour and all.
It snowed in the Twin Cities this morning, not too much farther north.

True story.

Let's trade them Halloween and get Thanksgiving back. I got some candy from last year- I'll throw that in to sweeten the pot.

It snowed in the Twin Cities this morning, not too much farther north.

I've got a cousin in Edina, must see how she and her family are going.
That would be a fairly early snow? Could be a rough winter in the frozen north!

True story.

Let's trade them Halloween and get Thanksgiving back. I got some candy from last year- I'll throw that in to sweeten the pot.

You might have to take the Maple Leaf off theirs though :D

True story.

You might have to take the Maple Leaf off theirs though :D

Bullshit. I'm keepin' this baby. ;)

Canadian_Maple_Leaf_Gold_Coin.png

Forum List

Back