THANK YOU Canada!

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Sometimes it feels like we Americans do all the "heavy lifting" for the rest of the world. It turns out that our Canadian neighbors to the north have stepped up to the plate, although little has been reported of their offers to help. Here's an article in the Sun News out of Ottawa that you might find
interesting:

Thumb's up to the Canadians!

OTTAWA -- Canada has offered to supply the U.S. with troops, military engineers and water purification expertise to assist in relief efforts in devastated areas hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Gen. Rick Hillier spoke to his U.S. counterpart Gen. Richard B. Myers late yesterday and made the offer, confirmed Steve Jurgutis, spokesman for Defence Minister Bill Graham. America's health and human services department also contacted the Canadian Public Health Agency yesterday and asked for an inventory of medical supplies and personnel that could be provided.

But Canada has yet to receive a request for assistance, Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan said.

"There may very well be things that they will need, whether in the short term or as the days go ahead. For example, clean water is at a premium now," she said.

"We need to work closely with the United States so that we understand what they need the most, at the right time."

Prime Minister Paul Martin vowed Canada will provide any emergency help our U.S. neighbours need. "During this most difficult time, Canada stands with you, and we are ready to provide whatever support you may require in the days, weeks and months ahead," he said.

"We are sending some of our most highly trained disaster response volunteers," said Red Cross spokesman Suzanne Charest. "They will be dealing with people who are grieving, who have faced an extraordinary amount of loss, so they have to be trained to deal with this sort of thing."

Cash donations can be made by calling 1-800-418-1111.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/09/01/1197592-sun.html

Yes, thank them and the Swiss. As well as the offer of Japan's oil reserves.

It is nice to see some of our generosity returned by others.

Well, I'm not surprised to not see it here, but know that France offers to send civilian help - expetrs, ingeneers..... - , fireman, and military forces, to help the US national guards and rescue teams.

The military forces would probably be the Troupes de Marine 's regiments based in the french Antillas.

Anyway, everybody's thoughts are with the casualites of Katrina and to the people who live hell actually.

padisha emperor said:
Well, I'm not surprised to not see it here, but know that France offers to send civilian help - expetrs, ingeneers..... - , fireman, and military forces, to help the US national guards and rescue teams.

The military forces would probably be the Troupes de Marine 's regiments based in the french Antillas.

Anyway, everybody's thoughts are with the casualites of Katrina and to the people who live hell actually.
Thanks PE for posting that....haven't seen that in US media

padisha emperor said:

First Ive heard about this.

I'm really sad for this hurricane...

i went to New Orleans some years ago...now, this city is under water... God...I hardly realize.

I hope the reinforcements from Canada, France and other countries will come quickly on the zone.

padisha emperor said:

That's excellent! As I said before, thanks to everybody who is willing to help. It is nice to see some of our Karma coming back to us.

Believe me, if there were an attack or catastrophe in France of this nature, we would be there to help as well. Regardless of the little personal feelings.

no1tovote4 said:
That's excellent! As I said before, thanks to everybody who is willing to help. It is nice to see some of our Karma coming back to us.

Believe me, if there were an attack or catastrophe in France of this nature, we would be there to help as well. Regardless of the little personal feelings.

I hope so ! ;)

France and USA are not ennemies, there are allied nations and friends since more than 220 years. It's not because actually the realtions are fresher that we can't help you when you need help :)

First Ive heard about this.

Here it is reported by the news network that Conservatives no longer admit to watching for fear of being called "the choir". As in the liberal rhetoric of, "Faux News is just a Bush mouthpiece preaching to the choir!"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168129,00.html

NEW ORLEANS — French humanitarian aid officials met on Thursday to examine ways of providing support for victims of Hurricane Katrina (search) in the United States, a French Foreign Ministry spokesman said. France is considering ways of mobilizing relief teams from the French Antilles (search) in the Caribbean, ministry spokesman Denis Simonneau said at a news conference.

"France expresses its readiness to bring this aid based on the needs American authorities express," he said. French authorities were following Katrina's aftermath "with particular attention," he added.

Authorities set up a telephone hotline in France for people to obtain information about relatives or friends who may be missing in the hurricane-ravaged region, Simonneau said.

Forum List

Back