thank you, Cameron Crowe!

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
So, I'm sitting here working on a script I've been writing for a long time now, about two people who meet and decide to just leave their lives and just drive as far away from their town as they possibly can. I take a break, turn on the TV, and see a preview for Elizabethtown, Cameron Crowe's new movie. Now, I may be wrong, but it seems like the plot of this movie is extremely similar to my script (called The World at Large, BTW). This is so irritating! It's happened before, way back when I was in high school, I was working on a script that would be sort of like those old teen comedies like Porky's. Just as I start writing it, what comes out? American Pie! A lot of the scenes in that (and, oddly, Not Another Teen Movie) seemed to be right out of my script. I actually had an idea wherein all the teachers at the school would be played by former Brat Packers. And Not Another Teen Movie even sort of stole that!!!

All that said, I'm sort of looking forward to Elizabethtown, since I really love Cameron Crowe's work a lot, and I think Kirsten Dunst is a great actress when she's given a role that she can do something with (see The Virgin Suicides, her best role in my opinion).

True. I have no real delusions about it ever getting made, anyway, it's just a little irritating. But, it's also slightly uplifting to see stuff that's a lot like my stuff getting made and being pretty popular.

I don't know anything about showbusiness, but I think it's one of those "it's who you know, not what you know" types of businesses. Good luck on finding success though!

True that, thanks for the support.

I actually had one, maybe two contacts sort of in the film business, but I don't know how well that's going to work now, since they lived in New Orleans and their jobs were pretty area-specific.

My cousin was the director of the New Orleans Film Festival. You don't really hear a lot about that, but apparently, last year they had Richard Linklater there.

Her husband did sound for Saints games, but he also had a small hand in a few films, last time I talked to him he was working on that kids' movie Because of Winn-Dixie.

Forum List

Back