Thank you Bill Clinton.

why wouldn't we send Hillary, though, if it's traditionally been the job of her position?
Chia Head specifically wanted Bill. He'd said that if Bill wasn't available, maybe Jimmy Carter. Bill said, "hell, I'll go."

why did we follow Chia's orders?
That's the slippery slope. "If you want the ladies back, here are my demands." If you meet their demands, gives them incentive to do it all again later and make MORE demands. It's rewarding bad behavior, as I said earlier.

Looks to me like this administration is willing to risk the possibility of encouraging acts such as what NK did, in order to secure the release of our citizens. It's a tradeoff that you don't know, no one really knows, might come back to bite us later.

A good example of this is Bill Clinton himself, dealing direct with Chia Head all through the 90s. Got us nowhere, got Chia Head his whole nuke program.

It's a judgment call on the part of the administration in charge. I myself don't know what decision I would make -- let the ladies do their 12 years or take Chia head up on his offer?

It was a tough call and they made it, and for now at least it turned out well.

Wait, there's a Bill Clinton Chia head now? I want one. :razz:
:lol:

There might be, but with the NK megalomaniac dictator, it's a natural thing. HE looks like a chia!

And he looked like hammered dogshit up next to Slick Willie, who made sure he had a surly pout in all the photos he had to stand for with this sloth.

It actually helped to make Obama look weak - Bill looked presidential - Obama has looked increasingly anxious and uncertain in recent weeks...

Obama was too far up the food chain to deal with a tosser like Kim....

If Obama handled it himself, that's exactly what they would have said. Because, you know, the loons can't acknowledge anything good he does....
Obama is wise not to give this loon or Iran's Mymoodswings Imanutjob the sweat off his balls. Or any other such despot. A lesson I believe he learned from Chavez, and the book "gift" deal.

Obama handled this just right, because I'm sure he is the one who ultimately approved this deal, and he just quietly watched it unfold, didn't use it to gloat afterword, and all in all did just fine. Once the decision was made.

I still question the decision, but damned if I know what I would have done given the same set of circumstances. So I gotta tip my hat, it worked. We got the ladies back and Bill made Chia Head look like the human dung beetle he is.

I think it's good that Bill Clinton did this, and I respect him for doing so. For those that think this gives incentive for North Korea to do the same in the future and make further demands, I don't think this has to happen. I think we need to make it clear that anyone that travels in that area now does so at their own risk.

I think it's good that Bill Clinton did this, and I respect him for doing so. For those that think this gives incentive for North Korea to do the same in the future and make further demands, I don't think this has to happen. I think we need to make it clear that anyone that travels in that area now does so at their own risk.
It never HAS to happen. Let's not get into blaming the victims here. That border area they were seized in has been more or less fluid for decades, and everyone travelling there knows it's at their own peril.

However there is no question that appeasement of this sort does encourage more bad behavior. We don't know if it will in this case, when, if or in what form it might take. Not saying Chia Head will grab more Americans, but hell, since we rewarded him for doing so, he's got no reason not to do it again if a opportunity arises.

As I said, I have no idea what decision I personally would have made on this. Therefore, I tip my hat to a job well done that turned out well, and wait for the other shoe to drop.

It never HAS to happen. Let's not get into blaming the victims here. That border area they were seized in has been more or less fluid for decades, and everyone travelling there knows it's at their own peril.

However there is no question that appeasement of this sort does encourage more bad behavior. We don't know if it will in this case, when, if or in what form it might take. Not saying Chia Head will grab more Americans, but hell, since we rewarded him for doing so, he's got no reason not to do it again if a opportunity arises.

As I said, I have no idea what decision I personally would have made on this. Therefore, I tip my hat to a job well done that turned out well, and wait for the other shoe to drop.

Well you're right it doesn't have to happen, but North Korea's regime is unpredictable so there's really no telling what they're likely to do. I agree with this move in this case and I'm glad we got our citizens home where they belong. However, I think we should make it absolutely clear from now on that going there would be at your own risk. Not that the United States wouldn't try diplomacy to get it's citizens out if it should happen again, but that we simply won't appease North Korea in this way again.

Well you're right it doesn't have to happen, but North Korea's regime is unpredictable so there's really no telling what they're likely to do. I agree with this move in this case and I'm glad we got our citizens home where they belong. However, I think we should make it absolutely clear from now on that going there would be at your own risk. Not that the United States wouldn't try diplomacy to get it's citizens out if it should happen again, but that we simply won't appease North Korea in this way again.
I'm almost sure they would appease Chia head this way again, under similar circumstances.

But we got the ladies back physically unharmed, and whisperin' Bill made Chia head look bad in the process. And the President stayed cool, not gloating or trying to take credit. All in all, a good job.

Forum List

Back