Thank You, Active US Military and Veterans

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
For the right to say snotty things to other USMB-ers. For the right to hang a controversial political bumper sticker on my car. For the decent standard of living my whole family enjoys. For everything that makes being an American good....so good, everyone else fights to get here......

I know it isn't November, but it occured to me that one time a year just does not feel like enough, sometimes. And I did not care to wait until Memorial Day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdKlnXCP94]YouTube - An american soldier Tribute (Soldier's Creed)[/ame]

• Banned
Right you are, Granny. I'm unfamiliar with this holiday, but I approve. I wish I had known of it BEFORE it was over.

I got a few of these videos on facebook today, and presumably this is why. I pondered for a moment on the freedom I have to say any inflammatory thing I want, criticisize any politician or Big Business, etc. I like, and I just felt like saying "thank you".

I know damned well, I don't get my freedoms from the Freedom Fairy. They are paid for in blood and sorrow and loss and courage, as they have always been.

This might be one FUBAR nation, but it still beats all the others. I think our men and women in uniform, and their families, are responsible for that.

• Banned
Your welcome. (Navy, 84-04 and I loved it).

Thank you Zona. Most especially, thank you to you parents, your spouse and kidlets, and your friends...everyone who had to suffer and pray whilst you were in danger, or even just away.

One of the things I appreciate most about our First Lady is her campaign to recognize the sacrifices of military families and to support them. I have three such Mommies and Daddies among my close friends now. Their courage takes my breath away.

Armed Forces Day was Saturday. So THANKS to everybody who is currently serving in the armed forces or who has ever served in the armed forces or anybody that is even thinking about serving in the armed forces. I appreciate your service.

Armed Forces Day was Saturday. So THANKS to everybody who is currently serving in the armed forces or who has ever served in the armed forces or anybody that is even thinking about serving in the armed forces. I appreciate your service.

If there is anyone in here who is thinking about joining the Navy, or any branch for that matter, please start a thread. I bet there is a world of knowledge in here from all branches and I can give my perspective of the Navy for him or her. From What to look for when talking to recruiters, to which field within the navy I think is best (Aviation of course):) to programs outsiders know nothing about.

Remember, I know it sounds corny, but when you see someone in a military uniform, please go up to them and thank them. I know it always felt good to me.

Thank you Madeline, you are most welcome.

There are three holidays that actually have to do with the US Military. many people tend to forget what they mean, and many forget at least one every year.

Veterans Day, is meant to honor all living veterans. It originated as a celebration of the end of WW1

Armed forces Day Which we just had and was ignored by many, is to honor those on active duty today.

And memorial Day which most people treat as the beginning of the summer grilling season, Is to Hnor those who have served and are no longer with us. As we say in the American Legion, "they are now in that Army whose footfalls cause no sound."

Well, I vote in every election. I do try to do more, but I at least do that. It astounds me to see the children of vets or of Civil Rights workers who do not vote. How can we lose touch with that thrill in just one generation?

Well, I vote in every election. I do try to do more, but I at least do that. It astounds me to see the children of vets or of Civil Rights workers who do not vote. How can we lose touch with that thrill in just one generation?
It's sad really. People who don't exercise their fundamental right to vote really don't have any reason to bitch, or chime in on the issues.

thank you for this thread...i love it when i can read a thread on this messageboard and not everyone is arguing and calling names!!! :)
My son is a Sgt in the Army (28 yrs old last month), he and his family have been in Germany for 3 years now (FINALLY coming back to the states in August!). He's been to Iraq 3 times (I really hope that's the last time!). When he's been home (Michigan) and someone finds out he's military or was just back from Iraq, they always thank him for his service and i can see the pride (and thankfulness) in his face when this happens...it's awsome! He loves the Army and joined after the war started - and i thank God everyday for keeping him safe (of course God is very much in his life!).
Thank you to all of you who have served or is serving, and may God protect you....

For the right to say snotty things to other USMB-ers. For the right to hang a controversial political bumper sticker on my car. For the decent standard of living my whole family enjoys. For everything that makes being an American good....so good, everyone else fights to get here......

I know it isn't November, but it occured to me that one time a year just does not feel like enough, sometimes. And I did not care to wait until Memorial Day.

YouTube - An american soldier Tribute (Soldier's Creed)

As a retired Navy Vet I thank you for your comments. It's not often you and I agree on anything but that's what makes this country great.

OMG....i got news from my son Friday night that he has just gotten selected for Special Forces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's gone to Ft. Bragg 3 times for this, the last time he did make it all the way through, but just didn't get selected. This time when he went he didn't tell anyone about it (except his wife) so it was a complete surprise to us when he told us, we didn't think he could go back and try again! Of course it's not my choice of jobs for him (he's 28 yrs old, wife and two beautiful kids)..but i'm so happy for him because this has been his dream and he's worked very hard for it. Sometimes i wonder where we got this kid from! Lol!

The courage and unselfishness of military families just blows me away. Congrats, Ma'am.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQ9zbLiUno]YouTube - The Ballad of the Green Beret[/ame]

When I retired my wife received a Certificate of Appreciation signed by the Secretary of the Army. It isn't near enough for all that the family goes through. She was my strength all those years.

When I retired my wife received a Certificate of Appreciation signed by the Secretary of the Army. It isn't near enough for all that the family goes through. She was my strength all those years.
They keep the home fires burnin'!........They serve just the same, just not in the same capacity....They deserve recognition. It's not an easy life, particularly for a "lifers" family who are uprooted so many times in a twenty/thirty year period.............IMHO.

Forum List

Back