Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!!!

Ridgerunner

'Ole Wise One'
Apr 20, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

This link is rather long for a read on the internet, but imo well worth the time... I spent quite a bit of my misguided youth in the shadow of the Indiana town where the Marine Colonel was raised...

The Bravest Thing Col. Randy Hoffman Ever Did Was to Stop Fighting

:salute:

What I always heard when I was in the Army was "If you ain't tough enough to suck another Marine's dick without gagging, you ain't tough enough to be in the Corps."

:laughing0301:

God bless the USMC.

The day I was to be inducted into the Army, we were loaded on a bus in my hometown and driven to the courthouse in Oklahoma City for the swearing in ceremony.

I was in a room with about 50 other guys. After being sworn in, the Sergeant pointed to me and one other kid, and said to come up front and stand by him. The other guy and I were the only two people in the group with long hippy hair. I knew something was up, and was afraid this was going to turn into an Arlo Guthrie song.

The Army sergeant sent for the Marine sergeant and ask him if he needed a couple of men. (most people don't know that the Marines drafted several thousand men during the Vietnam war)

The Marine sergeant looked at his clipboard and said that he already had his quota for the day.

With a great sigh of relief, we were told to get back in line with the rest of the people, and wait for transportation to the airport and flown to Ft Lewis for basic training.

And that's how the Sunni Man almost became a Jarhead. .....
aJa1Xg9jOzFqD_D0ns0UraoqPnwDHhLdN_HZe_UcBoW5H02SnuoBaZ_rZoQUbx2AgZTf-jScC56-R4WAMdfHAa9gpGJLvSq7onbEfeaby4cR=s0-d-e1-ft
:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
The day I was to be inducted into the Army, we were loaded on a bus in my hometown and driven to the courthouse in Oklahoma City for the swearing in ceremony.

I was in a room with about 50 other guys. After being sworn in, the Sergeant pointed to me and one other kid, and said to come up front and stand by him. The other guy and I were the only two people in the group with long hippy hair. I knew something was up, and was afraid this was going to turn into an Arlo Guthrie song.

The Army sergeant sent for the Marine sergeant and ask him if he needed a couple of men. (most people don't know that the Marines drafted several thousand men during the Vietnam war)

The Marine sergeant looked at his clipboard and said that he already had his quota for the day.

With a great sigh of relief, we were told to get back in line with the rest of the people, and wait for transportation to the airport and flown to Ft Lewis for basic training.

aJa1Xg9jOzFqD_D0ns0UraoqPnwDHhLdN_HZe_UcBoW5H02SnuoBaZ_rZoQUbx2AgZTf-jScC56-R4WAMdfHAa9gpGJLvSq7onbEfeaby4cR=s0-d-e1-ft
..the day I went to BootCamp, I was up from about 430 am [ I set my alarm too early ] to very late at night...it was so long ago....I thought we got to MCRD SD when it was dark and didn't hit the rack till after midnight

..the day I went to BootCamp, I was up from about 430 am [ I set my alarm too early ] to very late at night...it was so long ago....I thought we got to MCRD SD when it was dark and didn't hit the rack till after midnight

Do you need us to call you a Waaaaahhhhmbulance?

Crayon eaters!

A 4 Star once gave an order that he needed a Hill taken. 4 Branches volunteered.

The Army took an entire Division, it costs hundreds of lives but they finally reached to top of the hill and presented the hill to the General.

The Navy leveled the hill and said, Mission Accomplished

The Air Force Bombed it and just left a crater and said, Oops.

A single Marine took the hill, carried it back to the General and asked him where he wanted it.

After the Marine Corps sacrificed so much in the Pacific in WW2 Harry Truman proclaimed "the Marine Corps is the Navy's police force and as long as I am president that's what they will remain" and the profoundly insulting "the Marine Corps has a propaganda machine equal to Stalin". It's ironic that it was the Marine Corps that bailed Truman's negligent General out of the Korea quagmire.

Marines have always been the Navy's Infantry. Their role was to secure the vessel from boarders and provide light weapons fire in naval engagements.

As Infantry, they were used in land excursions, often led by naval officers.

Up to 1946, they were also used as couriers for the State Department.

The formal and permanent use of Marines as security guards began with the Foreign Service Act of 1946, which authorized the Secretary of Navy to, upon the request of the Secretary of State, assign Marines to serve as custodians under the supervision of the senior diplomatic officer at a diplomatic post. The first joint Memorandum of Agreement was signed on 15 December 1948 regarding the provisions of assigning Marines overseas. Trained at the Foreign Service Institute, the first Marines arrived at Tangier and Bangkok in early 1949. The Marine Corps assumed the primary training responsibility in November 1954.

When I was assigned to the American embassy in Vienna, I interacted with the Marines there and found them to be true soldiers in dedication, morale, and attention to duty. They were proud of themselves and their responsibilities. Every one of them was taking some kind of correspondence course, including the Gunny in charge. As I was the only Amy enlisted guy there, we seemed to get along better than they did with the USAF types.

I have nothing but respect for the USMC.

The Boot Camp scenes in the movie FMJ were exaggerated regarding the individual harassment of the fat recruit who finally went crazy but other than that they had MCRD Parris Island down pat the way I remember it. The worst day of my life and finally the proudest day of my life 12 weeks later.

Forum List

Back