Thank God for Rich People

Note i was discussing INCOME taxes. The perecentages quoted refer to INCOME taxes. If I was discussing total taxation then you may have a point.

Duh, I said that. So I must have known it!

The point is that by focusing exclusively on personal income taxes you paint a completely false picture, and the whole premise of any reason to erect a monument to the rich becomes a lie.

You are perpetuating a lie. If your OP had included all federal taxes it would be obvious that the middle class deserves the monument if anybody does at all.

Taxation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down to the tables, and they do include Social security, which as an effect, but not as much as you make it out to be.

Note i was discussing INCOME taxes. The perecentages quoted refer to INCOME taxes. If I was discussing total taxation then you may have a point.

The point is that by focusing exclusively on personal income taxes you paint a completely false picture, and the whole premise of any reason to erect a monument to the rich becomes a lie.

You are perpetuating a lie. If your OP had included all federal taxes it would be obvious that the middle class deserves the monument if anybody does at all.

Scroll down to the tables, and they do include Social security, which as an effect, but not as much as you make it out to be.

So if I have to pay 7% on all my income and they don't pay a cent on a million dollars over the $110,000 cut off, there is no impact?

My boss is rich, a millionaire [...]

[...]
"Millionaire" is an increasingly elastic word. It once implied that one had reached the pinnacle of the American Dream by acquiring a million dollars.

Today we've grown accustomed to hearing about CEOs who earn fifty million dollar salaries and take home 300 million dollar bonuses -- and we don't even blink. We hear about people like Buffett, Gates, Bloomberg, et. al, who have billions and billlions and billions of dollars in their pockets. Then we hear about people who are busting their asses but can't keep up with usurious mortgage payments and are being evicted from their modest homes.

We wonder, at least some of us wonder, if we're living in a democracy or a kingdom and it occurs to me that too few Americans perceive a distinction between wealth and excessive wealth.

So the word "millionaire" is no longer sufficient to accurately categorize someone. Now we need to know how many millions of dollars one is worth to know if we are talking about a citizen or a de facto aristocrat.

You don't believe in god DUmmie. Yer an atheist.

I didnt say GOD BLESS THE RICH someone else did.

Should Jesus have been whipping the poor for being lazy instead of the money changers for being rich?

defect. deflect defect you talked of entering the kingdom of GOd.. you don't believe in god. you izz a atheist.

Willow , the OP asked his god to bless the rich.

I quoted the OPs religion on what they think of the rich.

Why cant you understand that ?

Now should Jesus have whipped the poor for being too lazy to be rich like many on the right here are saying about them?

Why is it so many christains seem to twist their own religion to fit their political view?

They seem to put party even over what Jesus taught.

Last edited:
I didnt say GOD BLESS THE RICH someone else did.

Should Jesus have been whipping the poor for being lazy instead of the money changers for being rich?

defect. deflect defect you talked of entering the kingdom of GOd.. you don't believe in god. you izz a atheist.

Now should Jesus have whipped the poor for being too lazy to be rich like many on the right here are saying about them?

Why is it so many christains seem to twist their own religion to fit their political view?

If a man will not work, he shall not eat. 2 Thessalonians 3:10

Don't tell that to the libnuts on this website, Christ they'll fucking blow a gasket.

Don't tell that to the libnuts on this website, Christ they'll fucking blow a gasket.

Those weren't the words of Jesus. Jesus was the one who used his power to perform miracles to hand out free food.

I like Rich people...I really do

They do so much for this country and ask for so little in return. The problem is that we have this nasty deficit thing. $13 trillion is a lot of money that we owe. Keeping the tax cut will add another $2 trillion to the $2 trillion we added in 2001-2010.

I would be perfectly willing to give them a tax cut once we get this nasty deficit out of the way. Rich folks are reasonable people, they understand that we should not borrow money to give them tax cuts

the problem with that is our pols cannot be trusted NONE of them of of ANY stripe. they say oh hey help us get past this, then go right on spending....have you checked out the fine print of 1.1 trillion budget bill?

the problem with that is our pols cannot be trusted NONE of them of of ANY stripe. they say oh hey help us get past this, then go right on spending....have you checked out the fine print of 1.1 trillion budget bill?

And giving everybody in the nation a tax cut is gonna solve that problem?

I don't know the details but what I heard today over FM radio and lunch is that this compromise is actually gonna raise taxes on the poor. Some $153/year on average was the claim.

I think it is completely nutz to be considering tax cuts when the deficit is outrageous, esp after serving tax cuts to finance a war. It's like Americans suddenly share a collective negative IQ.

And giving everybody in the nation a tax cut is gonna solve that problem?

I don't know the details but what I heard today over FM radio and lunch is that this compromise is actually gonna raise taxes on the poor. Some $153/year on average was the claim.

I think it is completely nutz to be considering tax cuts when the deficit is outrageous, esp after serving tax cuts to finance a war. It's like Americans suddenly share a collective negative IQ.

For the umpteenth time, no one's taxes are getting cut. The rates are simply staying the same as they have been the past ten years.

but go figure even in a simple bill to keep tax rates from rising the fucking idiots in DC have to shove shit down our throats like extending the ethanol subsidy to the tune of 600 million dollars.

This kind of shit is what's costing the tax payers not that they will be keeping more of their own money.

So if I have to pay 7% on all my income and they don't pay a cent on a million dollars over the $110,000 cut off, there is no impact?

The cutoff is so that the goverment doesnt have to pay out gobs of money to people who dont need it. SS was never designed so that richer people subsidize poorer people. By lifting the cap you do just that. That may be an acceptable solution but it goes against the original intent of SS, which is a defined benefit/defined cost retirement program.

The cutoff is so that the goverment doesnt have to pay out gobs of money to people who dont need it. SS was never designed so that richer people subsidize poorer people. By lifting the cap you do just that. That may be an acceptable solution but it goes against the original intent of SS, which is a defined benefit/defined cost retirement program.

The original intent of SS doesn't matter. What does matter is that the fucking corrupt politicians have turned into the biggest Ponzi scam that ever existed.

Thank GOD for the rich, eh?

For those of you who claim to be fiscal conservatives?

That compromise?

It will cost $80 Billion going to six million unemployed.

The other $720 billlion is it will cost comes in the form of tax breaks, the vast majority of which goes to millionaires and billionaires.

A rather telling example of Republican fical conservism in action

The only time many of us seem to care about being fically conservative is when being conservative hurts working Americans.

As this example so obviously show us.

Just admit, boys, you folks truly hate the working people in this nation.

Last edited:
I offer a few numbers to make my case:

Did you know that the top one percent of American wage earners (adjusted gross income) pay about 38 percent of all our federal personal taxes (according to the National Taxpayer Union)? The top one percent, by the way, account for 23.5 percent of all income — a substantial amount, yes, but considerably less than 38 percent.

personal taxes don't include FICA which is 14% of a person's income up to a cap of $110K. Once you adjust for SS those in the top 2% pay a lower % of tax on income and capital gains than those in the lower 98%.

So maybe you should build a monument to the middle class who bears the biggest tax burden of all.

Its only 14% if you are self employed. For a wage earner it is half of that. And it still doesnt counter that the 1% gets 23.5% of the income, but pays 38% of the taxes.

they DO NOT pay 38% of the TAXES.....

we only collect 1 trillion in income taxes, the other trillion we collect in taxes are PAYROLL taxes, and gas taxes and cigarette taxes....

and SS surplus taxes are being USED to PAY for what income taxes should be paying for........

to the tune of 200 to 300 billion a year of the lowly worker's surplus SS taxes, of which the wealthiest pay near ZIP of....

personal taxes don't include FICA which is 14% of a person's income up to a cap of $110K. Once you adjust for SS those in the top 2% pay a lower % of tax on income and capital gains than those in the lower 98%.

So maybe you should build a monument to the middle class who bears the biggest tax burden of all.

Its only 14% if you are self employed. For a wage earner it is half of that. And it still doesnt counter that the 1% gets 23.5% of the income, but pays 38% of the taxes.

they DO NOT pay 38% of the TAXES.....

we only collect 1 trillion in income taxes, the other trillion we collect in taxes are PAYROLL taxes, and gas taxes and cigarette taxes....

and SS surplus taxes are being USED to PAY for what income taxes should be paying for........

to the tune of 200 to 300 billion a year of the lowly worker's surplus SS taxes, of which the wealthiest pay near ZIP of....

Listen, the numbers change from year to year, and depending upon what you include, not include. The number i quoted was based on income taxes only. Lets just go to the fact that the top 20% of the earners in this country carry most of the tax burden, be it from federal income, to state, to local.

SS was never intended to be another tax, it was intended to be a giant pension system you pay into, and then get in proportion to what you paid into. That is why it is capped. If you want to remove the cap fine, but at that point it basically becomes another progressive income tax, where people at the higher end pay in more for less.

Forum List

Back