Thank G_d It Can't Be Proved!

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I mean, if it could be, then perhaps something would have to be done. So much better this way:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070410/ap_on_re_eu/nuclear_iran

2. CTRLALTDEL

CTRLALTDEL Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    We had no PROOF OF SADDAM'S WMD, that didn't stop us from raping that country. Why are we hesitating with Iran. Is it because they could actually FIGHT BACK??

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Do you think we should? Do you think we can't take Iran?

4. Rosotar

Rosotar Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Probably not with our military stretched to the breaking point.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and if they are not at the 'breaking point?'

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    With US ground forces stretched, almost to the breaking point, no, we can't. The Bush administration's game of brinksmanship with Iran is as likely to spark a war with Iran by mis-step as by design.

More than a few neo-con talking heads seemed disappointed that Britain was successful in securing the release of its sailors and marines absent the use of military force. Their lust for war is equaled only by their lack of understanding of tis nature and consequences.

7. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <blockquote>WASHINGTON - Stretched by frequent troop rotations to Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army has become a “thin green line” that could snap unless relief comes soon, according to a study for the Pentagon. - <a href=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11009829/>AP</a>, 1/245/06</blockquote>

<blockquote>"We're running out of Army units for the mission," says Robert Scales, a retired Army two-star general.

The Army is about to be "broken," he says. What would be the "canary in the mine" is if junior officers and mid-grade enlisted soldiers become so frustrated with the repeated deployments that they simply get out. Pentagon officials maintain that the retention rates of military personnel remain strong, but if they begin to weaken, it could take years to reverse the trend. - <a href=http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0404/p01s01-usmi.htm><i>The Christian Science Monitor</i></a>, 4/4/07</blockquote>

<blockquote>he Pentagon made that clear April 2 when it announced that two Army units will soon return to Iraq without even a year at home, compared with the two years units have traditionally enjoyed. One is headed back after 47 days short of a year, the other 81. "This is the first time we've had a voluntary Army on an extended deployment," says Andrew Krepinevich, a retired Army officer who advises his old service. "A lot of canaries are dropping dead in the mine."

The main consequences of a tightly stretched Army is that men and women are being sent into combat with less training, shorter breaks and disintegrating equipment. When those stories get out, they make it harder to retain soldiers and recruit them in the first place. "For us, it's just another series of never-ending deployments, and for many, including me, there is only one answer to that—show me the door out," wrote an officer in a private e-mail to Congressman Steve Rothman of New Jersey. - <a href=http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1606888,00.html><i>TIME</i></a>, 4/14/07</blockquote>

When the Pentagon says that the military is being stretched to the breaking point, don't you think it's time to listen? And it is the ill-considered, ill-conceived, invasion and occupation of Iraq, under the Bush Administration, that has brought it to this point. The responsibility cannot be laid anywhere else.

And with the "coalition of the willing" now being little more than a "coalition of the leaving", what small relief and support US troops got from these allied forces is rapidly dwindling away to nothing. Not that their presence, save for the British, was sufficient to be more than a token to begin with.

So, dear lady, there can be little doubt that our military is stretched far too thin. With National Guard units serving in Iraq, we are stripped of needed resources at home to respond to natural disaster or terrorist attack. Any attempt to engage Iran on the field of battle would likely break our military and leave US defenseless at home. How can you, in good faith, continue to support an administration that would knowingly leave this nation so vulnerable?

8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    bump

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Again, what if 'not at the breaking point'?

10. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Again, when the Pentagon says it's stretched to the limit, don't you think it's time to sit up and listen?

Come now, dear lady, you can surely do better than that.