Texting-cellphones-car

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
How would you feel if law enforcement urged citizens driving that see other drivers to report via license plate numbers of those they "catch" yapping while driving? How would that stand in court without proof? But would it make those doing such things think twice?
Too many dangers going on and what if the person that thwaps in to you or your loved one was on the phone? Or you thwapped in to someone while jabbering and it killed the person you hit?

Your thoughts?

• Banned
Or what if the person reporting you to the cops causes an accident while trying to write down the license plate number, call the cops and reporting said occurrence?

Oh, the irony.

Mind boggling, isn't it? I watched a show tonight on tv (I think it was 20/20) about this problem but instead of reporting to law officials, they had a cop that patrolled around looking for them. He found a lot. Made the city some money too, from all the tickets he handed out. And another company gave out free vid cameras to young drivers parents.

Government wants no cells phones at all while behind the wheel. Not even hands free with a blue tooth. I think that is a splendid idea.

How would you feel if law enforcement urged citizens driving that see other drivers to report via license plate numbers of those they "catch" yapping while driving? How would that stand in court without proof? But would it make those doing such things think twice?
Too many dangers going on and what if the person that thwaps in to you or your loved one was on the phone? Or you thwapped in to someone while jabbering and it killed the person you hit?

Your thoughts?

I read an article today about how some phone companies, the iPhone being one of them, saving location and call data that is easily handed over to the authorities. It may take some effort, but it is possible.

And of course you would want to pull over before making the call. But I don't think many would want to take the time unless they have some kind of vendetta with such device use.

the cell phone laws are great for stoners....now we can pull over and roll a joint....if a cop shows up....we just pulled over to use our cell phones

Here you can report people who throw their cigarettes out of the car. Accounting for the fact, it could be out of revenge, they send you a warning and a liter bag.

• Banned
I'm not a stoner, but when I get a call while on the road, I always pull over.

just don't see a problem with the phones in the steering wheel or other hands free. Texting is a different story.

just don't see a problem with the phones in the steering wheel or other hands free. Texting is a different story.

The show tonight asked those busted what they thought about getting the tickets and they said the same thing. So the guy producer asked if they would be willing to take a test while driving and they agreed. They failed. This was for talking on the phone, hands free and with hands.
The studies and "experts" said doing anything other than concentrating on the road ahead of you takes away focus. Even hands free. The tests proved that true in this particular instance.

The show tonight asked those busted what they thought about getting the tickets and they said the same thing. So the guy producer asked if they would be willing to take a test while driving and they agreed. They failed. This was for talking on the phone, hands free and with hands.
The studies and "experts" said doing anything other than concentrating on the road ahead of you takes away focus. Even hands free. The tests proved that true in this particular instance.

Was it an obstacle course?

Was it an obstacle course?

Yes. Personally, staying focused on the road can make ya sleepy if you are on a long drive. Wouldn't listening to the radio and singing along with it make one unfocused as well? Still, I think cell phones should not be used at all in vehicles. Radio, cds, pull over when tired. Just don't put on makeup, eat, or talk on a phone while driving. However, it is still a slippery slope. What about kids banging around in the back seat? Rover jumping from front to back? etc etc etc.

I know a lot of the truckers use bluetooth. The law that might be instituted in Indiana says no handlheld devices can be used while driving. Bluetooth or other devices that can be used without using your hands are ok. The major aim was to eliminate texting but because authorities could not tell who was texting or just calling someone all of it is illegal.

As to citizens reporting to police about offenders, I would think nothing but a warning could be issued. But since eye witness accounts are used in courts I guess that their testimony if under oath could be used to prosecute offenders. Not likely to happen unless there is an accident though.

Your thoughts?
You can ALREADY report a vehicle plate to the police if you witness erratic driving, speeding and such. The Police will investigate if they have the resources, but more than likely nothing will happen or that citizen will have to end up testifying in court as to what he or she saw.

SIDEBAR: Why can't you fuckin' people just not talk on the God Damn phone while you drive? Why don't you just concentrate on what your doing instead? What's so fuckin' important that you MUST call that person while you drive?

Your thoughts?

It should be legal to ram them into a light pole or specially design road pits.

Your thoughts?

I would sentence them to 20 years of telemarketing!

Forum List

Back