Texas woman sues wal mart for ripping up her money and false imprisonment

have you ever been held against your will and humiliated in public and falsely accused of a crime?

just how much is your reputation valued? i value mine a lot and have built a rep for being an honest person.....i would be mortified if this happen to me....but i would not have stayed for the 3 hours...i would have forced them to touch me and keep me there....as the kids say ...it would be on like donkey kong

I dont usually like the whole "humiliation" thing, however both the cashier and the manager should have been criminally booked for destruction of property, and wal-mart should at a minimum give her the money back.
She should be awarded more than just her money back. a couple of million.

If I couldn't get a couple million for a 30 day false imprisonment in Cook County Jail, there's no way she should get anything close to that. The only thing she's got going is walmart doesn't want bad publicity. Compared to the government that could care less who they destroy and pretty much put a low value on it's citizens make sure they pay as little as possible.

Sorry but you'er wrong and your lawyer failed you. Wal-Mart had no right to do what they did to her. She should by all means be awarded at least a couple million as a lesson for the Corporation called Wal-Mart.

have you ever been held against your will and humiliated in public and falsely accused of a crime?

just how much is your reputation valued? i value mine a lot and have built a rep for being an honest person.....i would be mortified if this happen to me....but i would not have stayed for the 3 hours...i would have forced them to touch me and keep me there....as the kids say ...it would be on like donkey kong

:clap2:

The destruction of US currency is a federal crime.
If it really is, then may them people who destroyed that lady's money get what they deserve for doing that.

God bless you and her always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Even if that money was counterfeit, I have heard it said that instead of discarding it in anyway, it is supposed to be turned over to the police.

She is not going to get a million for being detained. I don't care how humiliate she was, she doesn't deserve anything more than a refund and some compensation, not to exceed, say, ten thousand.

false imprisonment is a serious crime.....i would expect much more than 10 k

she was held against her will for 3 hours....she should have left...period.....

they accused her of a crime without reason......

They shouldn't have done that and those responsible should be sacked. But she doesn't suffer any long lasting damage, and demanding a million is way too much. She doesn't deserve it.

Now Noomi, I would think you would want this lady to get a million or two and then perhaps the government can force her to redistribute.

She is not going to get a million for being detained. I don't care how humiliate she was, she doesn't deserve anything more than a refund and some compensation, not to exceed, say, ten thousand.

They shouldn't have done that and those responsible should be sacked. But she doesn't suffer any long lasting damage, and demanding a million is way too much. She doesn't deserve it.

A milloin bucks to Wal Mart is like a 20 dollar parking ticket to you or me.

BTW - it should come as no surprise to folks that Wal Mart treats a customer like a criminal, they have been treating their customers like criminals for years now.

A milloin bucks to Wal Mart is like a 20 dollar parking ticket to you or me.

BTW - it should come as no surprise to folks that Wal Mart treats a customer like a criminal, they have been treating their customers like criminals for years now.

Wal-Mart joins Homeland Security terror fight - US news - Security | NBC News

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced the unusual alliance Monday on the department's blog and in a promotional video posted to YouTube.
“Homeland security starts with hometown security, and each of us plays a critical role in keeping our country and communities safe,” she said. "This partnership will help millions of shoppers across the nation identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to law enforcement authorities.”
Should the war on terror be fought in the aisles of Wal-Mart stores?
At least 200 Wal-Mart stores will roll out security announcements within 24 hours, Wal-Mart spokesman Dan Fogleman said. By month's end, 588 stores in 27 states will be participating in the program. A short video featuring Napolitano will appear on TV screens at select checkout lanes, asking Wal-Mart shoppers to contact local law enforcement to report suspicious activity.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czoww2l1xdw]Walmart Public Service Announcement - YouTube[/ame]

Yes you read it right they destroyed her 100 dollar bills and held her against her will.

Raquel Erhard – Fourth Estate Cooperative Contributor
Texas, United States (4E) – A Texas resident is suing Wal-Mart after its employees ripped up her $100 bills and detaining her without cause for hours despite getting a validation that the money is real.
Julia Garcia said that she was publicly humiliated during the late-night December 2010 Christmas shopping incident at the San Antonio Wal-Mart.
The court document acquired by the Court House News stated that it was around 2 a.m. when Garcia approached the cashier to pay cash for her $150 worth of purchases. She handed over a $100 bill and a $50 bill. The cashier started inspecting the $100 bill, had a short discussion about the bill with a nearby cashier, and declared the complainant’s money as fake.
Wal-Mart sued for ripping up Texas woman’s $100 bills | GantDaily.com

You gotta wonder what she did to piss off the local walmart.....

That doesn't matter

It does and it doesn't. Nothing excuses what they did to her, but still you gotta wonder if there isn't something that set them off.

What was she doing in walmart with her kids at 1:30 in the morning? Who really takes their children shopping at that time, the kids should have been in bed.
Why did it take her two years to file this complaint?
Things don't add up here, about this story.

Actual file from the Texas court
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/09/13/WalMart.pdf

Her kids were not with her. She sold her vehicle so she could have money to purchase Christmas presents for her kids and Walmart humiliated her. Making her stand in front of the store for more that 2 hours while passers by whispered about her passing "fake" money, until the cops got there and proved her money was good. In all ways, Walmart made mistakes and should pay and I'm not just talking about the two good $100 bills they ripped up or the more than two hours they cost this woman right before Christmas when she was trying to provide a good Christmas for her children.

A few years ago some illegal aliens were held on an American's ranch against their will while the border patrol was called. The illegals now own the ranch. If our justice system truly has justice, she should own that Walmart store.

Forum List

Back