Texas Voter ID Law Blocked

Sure it will. If one shows an ID of a person other than the named registered voter, they cannot vote. If they show up with the ID of a dead person well not only will they be charged with voter fraud but the crime of identity theft as well. See how that works? Voter ID is a deterrent to fraud.
Why is it you people are opposed to integrity and honesty?

There is no integrity if dead people are on the registered voters list. Voter ID does not fix that problem.

Actually removing the names of dead people off the list will solve the actual problem.

So...no one has yet to prove the need for this Un-Conservative new law.

They have certainly proven that voter registration needs to be better managed.

Oh please.. Anyone using the name of a dead person to vote is knowingly committing fraud. Voter ID is at least a deterrent if not it goes as far as preventing this.
Your premise states the dead person's name just trots in the door and casts a ballot. No, a LIVE person must present them self to a poll worker, give their name and then place a ballot.
That is a deliberate act. If done in the name of another, it is fraud.

Yes, it is fraud. I clearly asked for examples of fraud...that can only be solved by Voter ID.

This has never been accomplished.

This is how we know its true purpose is something else.

This is how we know the Un-Conservatives who parrot the call for this new law are being manipulated.

Texas has the burden of proving that the law would not have the effect (not intent) of discriminating on the basis of race. The record clearly shows that currently the law would disproportionately prevent Hispanics from voting. Texas rebuts this by arguing that at some point in the future they will issue millions of ID cards in a non-burdensome way to address this issue. To say that they have not proved (a very high burden) that they can and will accomplish this is an understatement.

Note that the issue is not whether Texas's law is constitutional: under current jurisprudence it may very well be. The issue is whether it violates the VRA.

No, it does not. Those challenging voter ID laws have played the race card as a deflection to evade the actual issue.
The race aspect should be ignored as this is not about race. And no matter how many studies and statistics the dissenters from integrity and honesty dig up, it's irrelevant.
I am sick and tired of people who oppose common sense using the term "disproportionately" for their own purposes. Use of that term presupposes an act is deliberate. With voter ID there is no attempt deliberate or otherwise to deny voting rights to any legitimate adult that is not a convicted felon or a non citizen.

I think you might be describing the way you think things ought to be. Under the law race absolutely matters, it's explicitly described in the VRA. In jurisdictions subject to preclearance the intent of the law is not the only issue-- a law with a discriminatory effect, regardless of its intent, must not be cleared. The word "disproportionately" does not in any way presuppose that an act is deliberate. As I used it the word applied to the effect, rather than to the intent.

As I have discussed many times in other threads, eligible voters are prevented from voting by voter ID laws. I don't care to reproduce all the evidence for this position in this thread.
The way things ought to be..First let me be clear that I do not stipulate to your assumption.
Now, in this instance common sense must win out.
Requiring a person to identify themself insures the integrity of the process.
We as adults have the responsibility to obtain proper identifying documents.

There is no integrity if dead people are on the registered voters list. Voter ID does not fix that problem.

Actually removing the names of dead people off the list will solve the actual problem.

Oh please.. Anyone using the name of a dead person to vote is knowingly committing fraud. Voter ID is at least a deterrent if not it goes as far as preventing this.
Your premise states the dead person's name just trots in the door and casts a ballot. No, a LIVE person must present them self to a poll worker, give their name and then place a ballot.

Yes, it is fraud. I clearly asked for examples of fraud...that can only be solved by Voter ID.

This is how we know the Un-Conservatives who call for this new law are being manipulated.

You still haven't answered as to how you could possibly cull the rolls quickly enough to prevent someone from voting a newly dead person's ballot. As was established during the New Hampshire primary, it was a simple matter to read the obituary columns for the day and obtain a ballot in that person's name. A photo I.D. would certainly have prevented that. What is your problem with only legal voters voting?

This is how we know the Un-Conservatives who parrot the call for this new law are being manipulated.

Your question is designed in a narrow fashion so as to elicit a predetermined response. It is a pigeonhole question.
The sole purpose of voter ID is to set up a deterrent to fraud.
There are many things human of which human beings are capable. Our society set up laws to make those acts illegal BEFORE they occurred.
Your premise is equivalent to locking the barn door after the horse runs away.
In other words you say because there is not rampant voter fraud we should ignore the real possibility that it has happened and will happen and hop no one notices.
Voter ID proponents insist that if just one vote is fraudulent the integrity of the entire system is called into question.
I will give you an example.
Suppose a medical examiner was to falsify evidence in a murder case. The alleged perpetrator is convicted. Later it is discovered that the evidence was falsified.
The facts are uncovered and the person has his conviction overturned.
Now, what is to prevent every person which was sent to prison based on this one ME's findings from filing lawsuits to have their convictions overturned?
It stands to reason and fits in with public perception that this particular ME most likely did not "just do it this one time"...
Voter ID is just one line of defense against voter fraud.
The electoral process MUST be protected.
I find it appalling that anyone would be opposed to this important safeguard.

You were given several examples of your request in this thread

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/212534-list-of-things-that-require-photo-identification.html

It is your choice to deny the facts.

I dont know my drivers license is spendy, especially needing one to purchase firearms. Then if I want it the same day, the cost of the CCW, brother that 60 bucks hurts :D

If your point is that $60 is not a burdensome cost to impose as a requirement to vote, poll taxes of substantially smaller amounts have been ruled unconstitutional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(United_States)).

No, my point is if I dont need an ID to excersize one right I shouldnt need it for the other.
that must be a problem WITHIN your State?

Maine's gun laws are very relaxed:

Quick Reference- Maine

Rifles and Shotguns
  • Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
  • Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
  • Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
  • Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
Handguns

• Permit to purchase handgun? No
  • Registration of handguns? No
  • Licensing of owners of handguns? No
  • Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Purchase

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Dealers must keep a record of all firearm sales, rentals or loans. This record shall consist of the make, caliber, and serial number of the firearm and the name and address of the purchaser or recipient.

This record shall be open to the inspection of any sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer, constable, game warden or prosecuting attorney.

A firearms dealer must include a safety brochure with every firearm sold.
Maine Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Maine?

you don't need a gvt id to own or buy a gun

The Federal Government requires dealers to have gun purchaser fill out form 4473.

Form 4473 requires the firearm seller to obtain from the purchaser the following information: name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, make/model/serial number of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law.

If your point is that $60 is not a burdensome cost to impose as a requirement to vote, poll taxes of substantially smaller amounts have been ruled unconstitutional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(United_States)).

No, my point is if I dont need an ID to excersize one right I shouldnt need it for the other.

Quick Reference- Maine

Rifles and Shotguns
Handguns

Purchase

Dealers must keep a record of all firearm sales, rentals or loans. This record shall consist of the make, caliber, and serial number of the firearm and the name and address of the purchaser or recipient.

This record shall be open to the inspection of any sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer, constable, game warden or prosecuting attorney.

Your argument has no validity. You libs are trying to smoke screen your way out of this issue.
The vote is far too important to take the risk of fraud. Therefore it is necessary for voters to identify themselves in order to vote. Period.
In most places a government ID can be obtained at a very low price or even free of charge.
Now those who choose not to obtain one are either being cheap lazy or just being a stick in the mud. I any of those cases, those who cannot or will not take responsibility for themselves should not vote. Too bad.
No one is claiming they don't have the right to vote. The do. But sooner or later we have to draw a line. We have to decide where can stop baby sitting adults.

The Federal Government requires dealers to have gun purchaser fill out form 4473.

Form 4473 requires the firearm seller to obtain from the purchaser the following information: name, address, date of birth, government-issued photo ID, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, make/model/serial number of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law.
oops! didn't think of looking up the Fed requirements, ty mabelle

So far the only scenario discussed is dead people voting. While that may be a problem, it is not nearly as large as the problem of ineligible voting. Using Texas as an example, their immigrant population is over 4 million, most of whom are ineligible to vote,yet they wind up registered anyway through the Motor voter program.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I think this is a problem!

Quick Reference- Maine

Rifles and Shotguns
Handguns

Purchase

Your argument has no validity. You libs are trying to smoke screen your way out of this issue.
The vote is far too important to take the risk of fraud. Therefore it is necessary for voters to identify themselves in order to vote. Period.
In most places a government ID can be obtained at a very low price or even free of charge.
Now those who choose not to obtain one are either being cheap lazy or just being a stick in the mud. I any of those cases, those who cannot or will not take responsibility for themselves should not vote. Too bad.
No one is claiming they don't have the right to vote. The do. But sooner or later we have to draw a line. We have to decide where can stop baby sitting adults.
sorry spoon, i simply disagree with you. I do believe your only concern is to disenfranchise LEGAL VOTERS from voting and the photo ID laws do NOT STOP the mega voter fraud that is taking place....it is a GUISE, phony and a fake concern to keep minority CITIZENS from voting or giving them hurdles to jump over while the more affluent in this country who ALREADY have a gvt pictured ID the easy street....and that just doesn't cut it with me.

There are hundreds of thousands of citizens throughout the United States that don't drive, thus no gvt pictured id....

The major voter fraud that takes place, does so THROUGH ABSENTEE BALLOT and this guise of the right wing DOES NOT even approach that issue and fraud, which makes you and the right wing on this issue a fraud, and shows your true motives on your coat sleeve.....we are ON TO YOU!

IF you really wanted to stop voter fraud and not just make it difficult for the poor and elderly citizens from voting you would address the true causes of voter fraud, but you don't....so why is that? Huh?

A pictured id at the poll does NOT stop voter fraud that an id without a picture would stop....like using your SS card and a bill with your name and address on it from your electric bill that month.....but noooooooo, you need these people who don't have cars to miss work, and the money for that day's work, to take a bus or train or taxi (more money) to get to a spot where gvt pictured id's are issued, which could be 5-10 miles away from them...believe me, that's not something that is easy for the poor or elderly....it's just typical bull crap.

Did you see the thread where an old man who was veteran was not allowed to cast his vote in a booth, because of these stupid laws...he was too old to drive, he had his expired pictured drivers license AND HIS VETERANS Administration card with a PICTURE and this law SHUT HIM DOWN from going in to the voter booth to vote....and that is simply UNACCEPTABLE to me.....sure he could have voted provisional .....something he felt he could not read....
but he did not because he was incensed with fury over him being stopped from voting in the first place.

what you should be fighting for is States purging their voter rolls of DEAD PEOPLE and felons if your state does not allow them to vote...in keeping their voter roll UP TO DATE with any moves or deaths, and also strengthening their over site on what registrants get registered through their own vetting process....but to stop these people at the polls or to prevent these citizens from voting at the poll itself for NO GOOD REASON is absurd.

ABSENTEE BALLOT is where the voter fraud is taking place....there haVE been a few threads on this already, NONE SHOWING that voter fraud would have been stopped by an ID at the poll, NONE, ZIP, ZERO, NOT A ONE....yet it shows the fraud took place via absentee ballot and NONE of you all on the right are having conniptions over it...and I ask again WHY NOT? Instead you are focused on making every one "get papers" (can you say gestapo?) with a photo on it at the polls and all for NIL.....its just bullcrap to the enth degree imo.

Absentee ballots by the droves can produce voter fraud, ESPECIALLY if the States DO NOT clean up and keep up to date their rolls and allow dead people to stay on them, AND also, in the voter registration process but NOT at the polls....

What good is having a voter pictured id when ALL IMMIGRANTS that are not citizens can get a gvt drivers license? you are not even stopping illegals from voting when you require this id at the polls cuz many of them can drive and have a license. At the time of registration is where the States can vet and stop this from happening, but nooooooooooooo, you don't even talk about it or make suggestions on how to stop the real FRAUD....

soooooooooo, excuse me if you all really have pissed me off....and I am having to call it as I see it.

Last edited:
The state has a compelling interest in verifying the identity of a prosepctive voter, as it is imperative that a person who wants to cast a vote is who he says he is - failure to do so undermines a basic tenet of democracy. A picture ID is the least restrictive means to this end.
If the state has a compelling interest it can provide evidence in support. A court isn’t going to accept a state’s compelling interest simply because it says it exists.
I believe I desctibed the compelling interest in, well, more than obvious terms.

How is it NOT imperative that a person who wants to cast a vote is who he says he is?
How does the failure to do so NOT undermines a basic tenet of democracy?
How is a a picture ID NOT the least restrictive means to this end?

If your too f---ing dumb to acquire Id, your too dumb too vote............

No wonder liberals oppose it.........

I'm inclined to think that certain practical differences (of which there are many between ballots and concealed firearms) motivate differences in regulating them.
Of course you are.
What you are -not- inclined to do, however, is to try to post an argument as to how/why requring a photo ID to vote creates an undue burden while requring a photo ID to buy a gun does not -- because to do so is, well, nigh impossible.

Last edited:
The state has a compelling interest in verifying the identity of a prosepctive voter, as it is imperative that a person who wants to cast a vote is who he says he is - failure to do so undermines a basic tenet of democracy. A picture ID is the least restrictive means to this end.

Why do liberals oppose positively verifying a prospective voter, but demand the same for a prospecive gun owner?

Appeal to Common Practice logical fallacy.

Out of over two centuries of voting, no one has been able to find a single case of voter fraud in the US which can only be solved by Voter ID. If there is fraud, it is because voter registration management is broken. So fix what is broken. Don't add an unnecessary layer of bureacracy. That is not the conservative philosophy.

You are being manipulated. And how do we know this? Because not one of you has a case of voter fraud at your fingertips which proves the need for Voter ID. This means it is ALL in your imagination.

This means Voter ID is a solution looking for a problem.

Don't be a sucker, and don't be an Un-Conservative who would add a further impediment to a Constitutional right.
You do not understand.
The compelling state interest exists absent any evidence of voter fraud.

As to the claim that simply culling the rolls would suffice would has to be brain dead to believe that, it would require a comprehensive culling before EVER single election no matter how small or big. And still dead people could vote because that information takes time to move from one Government office to another. Assuming it even gets reported.

Then how do we know dead people voted?

Because someone cross-checked. In fact, they were not only able to find out who died that was on the list, they were able to find out they voted.

So it is not as difficult as you are trying to make it sound.

If they were able to cross-check, then so could anyone else.

The FACT dead people voted proves that the culling of rolls is not an answer. That we found out later is not acceptable.

Quick Reference- Maine

Rifles and Shotguns
Handguns

Purchase

Yes you do Federal LAW requires that a seller of a firearm ( in business with a Federal License) must obtain positive ID with address of the person purchasing a handgun.

...to disenfranchise legal voters from voting and the photo id laws do not stop the mega voter fraud that is taking place....it is a guise, phony and a fake concern to keep minority citizens from voting or giving them hurdles to jump over while the more affluent in this country who already have a gvt pictured id

care, all of the new voter id laws, pending or recently passed, that i have read, offer free picture id.

there are hundreds of thousands of citizens throughout the united states that don't drive, thus no gvt pictured id...

The major voter fraud that takes place, does so through absentee ballot
absentee ballots and mail in ballots are checked against signatures from the original voters reg form.

if you really wanted to stop voter fraud and not just make it difficult for the poor and elderly citizens from voting you would address the true causes of voter fraud, but you don't....so why is that?

Did you see the thread where an old man who was veteran was not allowed to cast his vote in a booth, because of these stupid laws...he was too old to drive, he had his expired pictured drivers license and his veterans administration card with a picture and this law shut him down from going in to the voter booth to vote....and that is simply unacceptable to me.....sure he could have voted provisional .....something he felt he could not read....but he did not because he was incensed with fury over him being stopped from voting in the first place.
the laws didn't prevent him from voting, he prevented himself from voting by choosing not to exercise his right to vote provisionally. Election officials will validate his ballot.

what you should be fighting for is states purging their voter rolls of dead people and felons if your state does not allow them to vote...in keeping their voter roll up to date with any moves or deaths
agree with purging. I believe it is fed law that states voter rolls cannot be purged 90 days before an election. As for deaths, it would be ideal to cross reference with ssdi, but it can take up to or over 90 days for ssdi to update death records. Moving registrants are responsible for updating their voters registration.

absentee ballot is where the voter fraud is taking place...see above
....in the voter registration process but not at the polls....
this is one way, but each state registers their voters differently. If each state aligned with having a registrant having to prove who they are at the time of registration, that would solve part of the problem.

what good is having a voter pictured id when all immigrants that are not citizens can get a gvt drivers license?
if immigrants are not citizens, they cannot register to vote.

you are not even stopping illegals from voting when you require this id at the polls cuz many of them can drive and have a license.
illegals cannot register to vote because they are not citizens.

at the time of registration is where the states can vet and stop this from happening...
only if voters reg is done in person. Many states all one has to do is download a form from the internet, fill it in and send it off.

soooooooooo, excuse me if you all really have pissed me off....and i am having to call it as i see it.

Sorry to have snipped your post, but I think I hit the high points. :D

If your too f---ing dumb to acquire Id, your too dumb too vote............
No wonder liberals oppose it.........
The costs and requirements to obtain a state-issued ID are miniscule; state-issued IDs are the least restrictive means to show that you are the person you say you are when you show up to vote.

If you cannot prove you are who you say you are, then you should not be allowed to vote.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back