Texas Used Stimulus to Cover 97% of Its Deficit in 2009

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Texas Used Stimulus to Cover 97% of Its Deficit - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic

Turns out Texas was the state that depended the most on those very stimulus funds to plug nearly 97% of its shortfall for fiscal 2010, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Texas, which crafts a budget every two years, was facing a $6.6 billion shortfall for its 2010-2011 fiscal years. It plugged nearly all of that deficit with $6.4 billion in Recovery Act money, allowing it to leave its $9.1 billion rainy day fund untouched.

In FY 2012, Texas' deficit is projected to come in at $12 billion, more than 30 percent of its budget -- the third highest rate in the country. But the states, which are collectively facing a $120 billion shortfall next year, are unlikely to see any more stimulus, in large part due to the efforts of conservatives like Gov. Perry, who have slammed the Recovery Act as a wasteful and ineffective government bailout. You make your own bed, etc.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40&feature=related[/ame]

How dare they use the money they were given!

If you are really upset over this, perhaps you shouldnt have given them the money in the first place.

If you are really upset over this, perhaps you shouldnt have given them the money in the first place.

swing and a miss, in fact you just struck out your whole team.
He doesn't have a team...And what seems to be lost in the lefty "NEENER-NEENER!" cacophony is the fact that the "stimulus" spending didn't create any of those mythical "shovel ready" jobs...It, in fact, created NO JOBS.

It was a giant lie of a bailout for all state overspending, and all this self-serving little piss puddle of a thread is the old Texas pile-on.

He doesn't have a team...And what seems to be lost in the lefty "NEENER-NEENER!" cacophony is the fact that the "stimulus" spending didn't create any of those mythical "shovel ready" jobs...It, in fact, created NO JOBS.

It was a giant lie of a bailout for all state overspending, and all this self-serving little piss puddle of a thread is the old Texas pile-on.

:eusa_shhh: Trust me, it's for the best.

Alright, so what is your point? Since you clearly dont want to make the point that Texas is bad. What is your point.

Are we going to have a continuing argument about who did what with the porkulus? Yeah, Texas spent the handout. So what? We should be arguing about whether the giveaway accomplished it's intent to drive down unemployment and stimulate the economy. It failed in a spectacular way. Unemployment rose from 7% to 10% and higher after the stimulus. The economy is on the skids and the jerk in thw White House tells us that "happy times are here again" while foreclosures are at a record.

Alright, so what is your point? Since you clearly dont want to make the point that Texas is bad. What is your point.

It has nothing to do with the theory that Texas is bad. How can Texas itself be bad? It's land. It also has nothing to do with the fact they were given money (though if any of it was wasted, that also is bad).

No, the point here is Texas used the Stimulus to cover 97% of it's deficit in 2009 and did none of the necessary cuts or changes to prevent a deficit of this size from occurring again the next time around. That is a example of poor governing in my opinion. Instead, all they essentially did was rearrange the chairs around on the Titanic. Secondly, Rick Perry is a complete hypocrite.

texas made fun of my mom....

actually one could argue by using it to pay off debt, they kept jobs....one could argue, but that point you are making is a deflection on what the OP is referring too..
I know what the churlish OP is referring to, and he failed miserably with his diversion from the fact that the lie known as "stimulus" was just another bailout.

I know what the churlish OP is referring to, and he failed miserably with his diversion from the fact that the lie known as "stimulus" was just another bailout.

Swing and a miss.

It has nothing to do with the theory that Texas is bad. How can Texas itself be bad? It's land. It also has nothing to do with the fact they were given money (though if any of it was wasted, that also is bad).

No, the point here is Texas used the Stimulus to cover 97% of it's deficit in 2009 and did none of the necessary cuts or changes to prevent a deficit of this size from occurring again the next time around. That is a example of poor governing in my opinion. Instead, all they essentially did was rearrange the chairs around on the Titanic. Secondly, Rick Perry is a complete hypocrite.

I agree on both parts. However, I also see a big problem with the fact that they were given a bail out to begin with.

Thar you go! Don't ever say the stimulus didn't do what it was supposed to do, and using con-Tex as the example!!

Forum List

Back