Texas suffers the most severe drought in 100 years

Can you believe it? Right wingers think Climate Change is a conspiracy, but believe a "power prayer" to God will bring rain.

And with all the droning from Chris and the liberal punditry from US citizen the simple fact that it took over 100 years to break the previous record is lost on the AGW true believers.

Think about it for a minute. The claim is that man is adding CO2 to the atmosphere at an ever increasing rate. Why then did it take 100 years to break these records? Additionally, what caused the previous record if it wasn't CO2?

I know, it's hard, but try and think about it.

LOL. Walleyes knocking anybody for failure to think.

The Missouri and Mississippi in flood from May, to at least September. Looks like mybe longer, because of the storms they are having as we post.

Texas in a huge drought, one that is destroying a huge portion of the agriculture there.

Australia had nearly a quarter of the continent flooded. Destroying much of the agriculture and coal export.

Russia had a enormous drought, losing 40% of their grain crops. Today, Eastern Europe is in a drought.

Pakistan lost the majority of it's agriculture to floods.

Today, China has major areas in drought.

And I am sure that I have left out some major developments.

All within the last 12 or 14 months.

Just a normal year. Sure, Walleyes, sure.

And with all the droning from Chris and the liberal punditry from US citizen the simple fact that it took over 100 years to break the previous record is lost on the AGW true believers.

Think about it for a minute. The claim is that man is adding CO2 to the atmosphere at an ever increasing rate. Why then did it take 100 years to break these records? Additionally, what caused the previous record if it wasn't CO2?

The Missouri and Mississippi in flood from May, to at least September. Looks like mybe longer, because of the storms they are having as we post.

Texas in a huge drought, one that is destroying a huge portion of the agriculture there.

Australia had nearly a quarter of the continent flooded. Destroying much of the agriculture and coal export.

Russia had a enormous drought, losing 40% of their grain crops. Today, Eastern Europe is in a drought.

Yes it is. Try looking at some history books. You know what those are don't you? I know it requires effort but try it soem day. You'll be amazed at what you learn.

Texas is suffering its worst one-year drought in a century, amid a heatwave that has killed dozens of people across the American south and turned agricultural land into parched desert.

Last month was the hottest on record in the state, which has had only had 40 per cent of typical rainfall since January. Reservoirs and lakes are now bone dry, with billions of dollars worth of crops destroyed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8687263/Texas-suffers-record-drought.html

My cattle will sell for more now.

Sorry just a burst of greed there ;)
I am not in fact a Republican in thought.

Actually that price rise will be in the spring, but I have plenty of hay and such for the winter.

Do you use lotion on your hands rocks to keep from literally rubbing the skin off your hands from the incessant hand wringing?

Can you provide any evidence at all that proves that the climate today, ANYWHERE, is outside the boundries of natural variability? Can you provide any evidence that proves that the climate today, ANYWHERE, is even close to the boundries of natural variability? Can you provide any evidence to prove that man is in any way responsible for the climate today which is not even approaching the boundries of natural variability?

Give your hands a rest rocks. Stop wringing them. The climate is fine. When we even begin to approach the boundries of natural variability, and have some actual proof that we are responsible, then wring them all you like. Till then, however, you are just being an old woman.

Texas is suffering its worst one-year drought in a century, amid a heatwave that has killed dozens of people across the American south and turned agricultural land into parched desert.

Last month was the hottest on record in the state, which has had only had 40 per cent of typical rainfall since January. Reservoirs and lakes are now bone dry, with billions of dollars worth of crops destroyed.

Texas suffers record drought - Telegraph

Got any proof, or even relatively hard evidence that man is in any way responsible?

I ask again, if this is the worst drought in 100 years, that means there have been worse droughts going back farther. So did man made global warming cause those droughts too?

Did you mean to say that you believe that this drought is caused by man-made global warming?

I ask because you just did say that, you know.

Now, nobody else was suggesting that in this thread, except you.

I ask again, if this is the worst drought in 100 years, that means there have been worse droughts going back farther. So did man made global warming cause those droughts too?

Did you mean to say that you believe that this drought is caused by man-made global warming?

I ask because you just did say that, you know.

Now, nobody else was suggesting that in this thread, except you.

Having a hard time with sarcasm eh?

100 years ain't much in geological time. Less than 100 years ago FDR managed to work a drought in the midwest into a major catastrophy called the "great depression. Texas isn't that bad off yet and hopefully Obama is on his way out. Tropical storms are what they need.

Has dust from Texas darkened the skies in DC yet?
It did during the "dustbowl".

Green techniques in agriculture prevented another great dustbowl.

conservation of our planet is the ultimate in conservatism.

As Texas continues to bake in record heat, the drought news for the state continues to be bleak – Texas is now in the midst of its most severe one-year drought on record, according to John Nielsen-Gammon, the Texas State Climatologist and professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas A&M University.

Preliminary reports from the National Climatic Data Center indicate that July 2011 was the warmest month ever recorded statewide for Texas, with data going back to 1895, Nielsen- Gammon reports. The average temperature of 87.2 degrees broke the previous record of 86.5 degrees set in 1998. The June average temperature of 85.2 was a record for that month and now ranks fifth warmest overall.

State sets heat records as drought intensifies | www.bullardnews.com | The Bullard Banner

Today marks the 44th consecutive day of temperatures above 100 degrees in Waco, Texas. That's an all-time record for the city, beating out the 42 straight days of triple-digit horror in 1980.

As in D.C., July was the warmest month in documented history for Texas. Because of an upper-level ridge of high pressure that just won't leave, the state has been left unattended on the burner. The Dallas/Fort Worth area just escaped from its second-hottest streak ever, with 40 running days above 100. If the nights at the DFW International Airport keep above 80 degrees until tomorrow, the all-time local record of 14 consecutive warm nights set in 1998 will have been broken.

The heat has turned an almost unimaginable 99.9 percent of Texas soil into a dry, chalky material more suitable for cactus planting (though even cactus would shrivel, as they need water occasionally). Ongoing since at least January, the drought is the worst in Texas history, and has prompted the feds to declare much of the state a natural disaster zone:

Record: 44 days of 100-plus heat in Waco, Texas, and counting - StormWatch 7 | WJLA.com

Increasing drought conditions in America's southwest region has been one of the predictions of the climate models for the last few decades. Now it is happening.

There have been some mega droughts in that area in the past. Most recently there were long droughts during the medieval warm period when temperatures in the northern hemisphere were a bit higher than normal and comparable to our temperatures in the 80's.

Now global warming is accelerating and intensifying the trend towards drought conditions. As has been predicted by climate scientists for some time now.

An imminent transition to a more arid climate in southwestern North America
Richard Seager
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
(excerpts)

Projections of anthropogenic climate change conducted by nineteen different climate modeling groups around the world, using different climate models, show widespread agreement that Southwestern North America - and the subtropics in general - are on a trajectory to a climate even more arid than now. According to the models, human-induced aridification becomes marked early in the current century. In the Southwest the levels of aridity seen in the 1950s multiyear drought, or the 1930s Dust Bowl, become the new climatology by mid-century: a perpetual drought. A PDF of the complete article (Seager et.al, 2007) can be downloaded from Science Express.

Take home lessons:

Southwestern North America and other subtropical regions are going to become increasingly arid as a consequence of rising greenhouse gases.

The transition to a drier climate should already be underway and will become well established in the coming years to decades, akin to permanent drought conditions.

This is a robust result in climate model projections that has its source in well represented changes in the atmospheric hydrological cycle related to both rising humidity in a warmer atmosphere and poleward shifts of atmospheric circulation features.

Expert: Texas is getting hotter due to global warming
USA Today
10/5/2010
(excerpts)

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Triple-digit temperatures will be the norm in Texas within a few decades, and 115-degree heat won't be surprising, according to the state climatologist. Texas A&M University atmospheric sciences professor John Nielsen-Gammon said recently that models he's analyzed show temperatures rising as much as 1 degree each decade, meaning that by 2060, temperatures around the state would be 5 degrees hotter than now.

"Decade by decade it's been getting warmer," Nielsen-Gammon said. "From here going forward, if temperatures keep rising as the models project they will, it will certainly be in large part due to global warming." Two unusually warm summers — in South Texas in 2009 and North Texas this year — are signs of what's ahead, he said.

Bruce McCarl, an agricultural economist at A&M said the higher temperatures in decades ahead could reduce the amount of land that can be used for farming. He predicted a 25% decrease in acres for crops and 10% less for livestock. The heat "reduces the grass growth so it reduces the number of animals you can graze," he said. And the heat will further deplete Texas' aquifers, McCarl said. "It would be pretty hard after 20 or 30 years to have enough (water) for agriculture," he said.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)

Now global warming is accelerating and intensifying the trend towards drought conditions. As has been predicted by climate scientists for some time now.

You would be laughable if you weren't so damned pathetic. A loudmouthed blowhard whose repertoire constists of little more than name calling, rediculously predictable cut and paste, and bullying that smacks of a fat kids fantasy of being the toughest kid on the playground.

Accelerating global warming? I am laughing great donkey laughs HE HAW HEEE HAAAAW in your idiot face. Accelarted warming? What a putz. The fact is that globally, the warming is over and has been for quite some time. Every where you look, it seems that sensors are being caught with a warming bias and most of the places your priests claim to be warming the quickest have no sensors at all.

The hoax is falling down around your ears thunder. It is all falling apart and I am sure that you find it all terribly disturbing as you are emotionally invested at such a deep level. But that is the way it goes when you are a dupe, unable to think for himself. Unscrupulous people will take advantage of you and use you for whatever purpose they see fit.

Accelearating warming...what a laugh. If you had a lick of common sense, you might catch on to the fact that the time frame your priests reference as "evidence" for their prophesies keeps getting shorter and shorter. By next year, the claim will be that this place or that place has had the hottest temperature in the past month, or week, or since 8:00 in the AM.

Your priests predict drought and increased rainfall. Warming and cooling. Dry winters and more snow. Your hypotheses is unfalsifiable and therefore invalid.

Or is it falsifiable? Tell me thunder, what would falsify the AGW hypothesis? My bet is that you have no answer because to answer is to falsify it.

What is Perry doing about all this?

And he wants to run the country?

So there was a worse drought over 100 years ago? Was that caused by man made global warming too?

Such silly question as the above makes me think you simply are not capable of getting it.

Every weather event ( however small or large) is the outcome of the GLOBAL climate.

To imagine that 7 billion animals and their techology is not, to SOME extent, altering the planet's atmosphere is ignorant beyond words.

FYI, life (not just mankind but life itself) has been changing the atmosphere (hence the climate) of this planet since life first manifested.

Mankind is merely the latest lifeform to have an effect on the world's climate, and even if we dispatch ourselves, life will continue to play a role in the composition of the atmosphere, and hence the state of the world's climate.

I think he gets it just fine, but you on the other hand... Not so much..

How many insects in the world? They breathe right? Of course they do. And since we are talking numbers of things, how about numbers of green leafy plants that convert CO2 to oxygen? How many animals altogether? How much flora and fauna have died over the life of this planet to make make ever more CO2?

If you are going to play the point and blame game, lets spread it around a little...

By the way who said we haven't altered the atmosphere to some extent? I don't recall seeing that said here or anywhere else. The issue is not whether or not we effected the atmosphere, all life effects the atmosphere hell even the planet itself effects the atmosphere. The issue is if you want to buy into the entire claim that a trace gas making up only 0.039% of the atmosphere by volume is responsible for a global warming and dictates climate changes...

I do not buy into that and their own studies back my feelings on it. Just one point I will mention here that is really enough for me, is the fact in the past and present their own studies show that CO2 is a product of warming and not the cause of warming.

Forum List

Back