Texas State-Certified Handgun Instructor Refuses To Teach Muslims, Obama Supporters

Has there been any news about follow-ups to this?

Will his license be pulled for discrimination against a protected class? Has it been yet? (Sorry if this has already been addressed. I haven't read the whole thread.)

Well, no – that could be a protracted process.

If someone were to identify himself as Muslim, and be denied service for that factor only, then the injured party could file suit in Federal court for damages, citing the CRA.

A court order would likely be issued enjoining the business owner from withholding services to the Muslim patron. If services are provided accordingly only the issue of damages is reviewed.

If the business owner continues to refuse service to the Muslim patron, the business owner could find himself in contempt and subject to a fine or imprisonment.

The Department of Public Safety is currently investigating Crockett Keller’s operation. But Keller says that he isn’t going to back down.

Which is idiotic to say the least, and offensive as well.

Although Keller’s not subject to the Constitution, he should at least support every Americans’ right to own and carry a firearm, exercising his right to self-defense – regardless of one’s religious or political belief.

And it could be well argued that Muslims of all people are in greater need of a means to self-defense.

Statement from the Texas Department of Public Safety:

"Conduct by an instructor that denied service to individuals on the basis of race, ethnicity or religion would place that instructor's certification by the Department at risk of suspension or revocation."

Ad for gun training bars Muslims and Obama voters | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

So all you armchair lawyers can go back to bed.

Wow..really? Thats a pretty intrusive law. But hey, I'm taking a class right now myself (not in handguns but the medical profession) and if they denied me matriculation based on my race; I think there'd be grounds for suit so we may need to re-examine this.

Just to clarify however....that passage you quoted in blue is about Concealed Handguns right? If he's violating the ordinance, they need to investigate and take appropriate punitive measures.

He's a state certified instructor. He can't deny that instruction to someone because of their religion. Period.

The Department of Public Safety is currently investigating Crockett Keller’s operation. But Keller says that he isn’t going to back down.

Although Keller’s not subject to the Constitution, he should at least support every Americans’ right to own and carry a firearm, exercising his right to self-defense – regardless of one’s religious or political belief.

And it could be well argued that Muslims of all people are in greater need of a means to self-defense.

His rationale is that you cannot be a Muslim AND an American. IOW, he suffers the common conservative affliction of being deranged.

I find it rather flattering, if only to myself, that I don;t match this "typical right wing nut job" mold.

The guy is an asshole.

I could never get away with refusing service to someone based on religious or political party affiliation

His rationale is that you cannot be a Muslim AND an American. IOW, he suffers the common conservative affliction of being deranged.

because there are no Liberals who believe this right?......what affliction is it you suffer from?......is it called naive derangement?......

I find it rather flattering, if only to myself, that I don;t match this "typical right wing nut job" mold.

The guy is an asshole.

I could never get away with refusing service to someone based on religious or political party affiliation

How can ya not like this guy.... ?
:cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7iwW6XvRQE&feature=player_embedded]Crockett Keller explains his gun ad - YouTube[/ame]

The guy is an asshole.

How can ya not like this guy.... ?
:cool:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7iwW6XvRQE&feature=player_embedded"][/ame]

15 minutes?

Got a readers' digest version?
:D

Probably agree with a lot of his points.
Just not customer service
:cool:

Whatever...It's his shop. He can do what he wants. Under the law he cannot deny access to the store. Under the law after the appropriate background checks pass, he cannot deny a sale. He can however use his best judgement on whom he must offer a class.

Under the law he cannot discriminate based on race or religion. It's a pretty straight forward concept.

That is what rational people do. They don't make half assed assumptions about 'racism'.

Rational people would notice that the guy explicitly made it a racist issue. There's nothing to assume on that note. Rational people would also be mindful of the fact that it is against the law to discriminate on the basis of race or religion.

Who the hell is going to pay for non-licensed gun lessons?

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for him to give non-licensed lessons. Even if he could, he's still be open to civil liability because the law still prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or religion.

Who the hell is going to pay for non-licensed gun lessons?

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for him to give non-licensed lessons. Even if he could, he's still be open to civil liability because the law still prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or religion.

It wouldn't be "illegal" for him to give lessons if he didn't have a license, it would just make his "lessons" worthless. The certificate he'd supply would mean nothing.

He would be still open to civil suits though.

Rational people would notice that the guy explicitly made it a racist issue. There's nothing to assume on that note. Rational people would also be mindful of the fact that it is against the law to discriminate on the basis of race or religion.

For conservatives, for the most part, however, facts of law are irrelevant. If they disagree with a law, they feel entitled to ignore it.

It wouldn't be "illegal" for him to give lessons if he didn't have a license, it would just make his "lessons" worthless. The certificate he'd supply would mean nothing.

He would be still open to civil suits though.

Correct.

And the certificate is needed to apply for the concealed carry permit.

So much for Frank’s ‘plan.’

Forum List

Back