Texas state board of education eliminates Hillary Clinton & Helen Keller from history curriculum

Texas Board Votes To Cut Hillary Clinton, Helen Keller From History Courses

This is how curriculum is decided in US public schools.

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from the state’s mandatory history curriculum — but will keep in Moses’ influence on U.S. founding documents, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The changes are part of an effort to selectively ”streamline” information in history classes for some 5.4 million schoolchildren.

As a part of the board’s assessment, each historical figure was given a numerical importance rating from one to 20 by committee members, according to the newspaper. Clinton, the first woman in U.S. history to win a presidential nomination by a major political party, only ranked a five. Keller, a writer and activist born in 1888 who was the first deaf and blind American to earn a college degree, rated a seven.

Local members of the Texas legislature rated a 20. All students are required to learn about the current U.S. president, so Donald Trump was not assessed.

Texas Monthly reported that board members had considered cutting a “value-laden” phrase about “all the heroic defenders who gave their lives” in the 1836 battle of the Alamo against Mexican soldiers in what was then Mexican Texas. One state official called it “politically correct nonsense,” and the board chose not to drop it.

“In Texas, you don’t mess with the Alamo and you don’t mess with our Christian heritage,” Texas Values President Jonathan M. Saenz said in a statement. “We applaud the majority of the State Board of Education for doing the right thing by restoring our foundational rights and history.”

The vote is preliminary and may still change. The final vote is in November.
Republicans have already messed with the Christian heritage. It’s completely unrecognizable from traditional Christianity.

Are you capable of posting anything other than, "The GOP sucks", or "The GOP is the reason for all evil in the world", without backing up such inane claims?

I mean really. There must be a little deanrd brain activity in there some where.
You’re kind are actually kind of funny. Instead of saying we’re not racist or we’re not homophobic or we’re not anti-other religions or we don’t hate poor people or any of those things and backing them up with facts, instead, since you can’t say why and so you whine and complain that you’re being mistreated and misrepresented.

The facts are Republicans have a long list of people they hate and they’re a racist party.

Look who they elected president. Some Mexicans don’t rape? Really? I rest my case!

Fifth column?

He assumed that because they had slanted eyes, they might be sympathetic to the enemy who also had slanted eyes.
How can you know this?

You don't.

But what you don't do, is assume guilt based upon race.

That is racist.
What Republican say about blacks Muslims Hispanics gays and so on proves the point. It’s nice to know we agree what racist is.

Islam is not a race. Nor are gays.

Anyone who embraces Islam, embraces theocracy via Sharia law.

That is the religion.

So if you have a problem with theocracy, chances are you have a problem with Islam.

As for gays and gay marriage, the secular state should have nothing to do with marriage whatsoever. Why should it?

Why should I get state perks for who I want to have sex with a while others are denied them?
No one said gays and Muslims were a race. But blacks are and many Hispanics don’t consider themselves white. But Republicans are equal opportunity racist hateful bigots. That’s something we can both agree on. Republicans hate all kinds of people just because of who they are.
Blacks don't consider themself white? You learn something everyday here.

When I was in public education, I was taught how great Progressive Presidents like FDR were. There was not one bad word mentioned about him

However, as I learned latter, he was one of the most racist Presidents of our day, as he locked up innocent Japanese Americans just for having slanted eyes. He also despised the Constitution as the Supreme Court struck down many of his programs as unconstitutional, and then preceded to try and remove them all.

it has not changed. Today it is OK to cut classes if someone like Donald Trump is elected, or cut class to go protest a Left wing cause like gun control, while telling kids that Trump is a racist President and praising Barak Obama.

Meanwhile, it is revealed that people like Obama once wrote a paper of admiration of Trump in college showing once and for all that the racist BS about Trump is just that. And it is also BS that Trump is trying to take over the government. He would never dream of removing the Supreme Court justices.

Hell, they won't even let him appoint any.
He didn't lock them up for having slanted eyes, he locked them because he was afraid of a fifth column. I do not agree with his actions though.

Fifth column?

He assumed that because they had slanted eyes, they might be sympathetic to the enemy who also had slanted eyes.
How can you know this?

You don't.

But what you don't do, is assume guilt based upon race.

That is racist.
What Republican say about blacks Muslims Hispanics gays and so on proves the point. It’s nice to know we agree what racist is.

Says the guy who lives in Lilly white Wrigley ville????

As a Dem I don't. The first woman nominee is a huge thing, and since in 2020 it will be only a century women were allowed to vote.

Texas is a rat hole state.

Hillary was NOT the first female nominee for President. Your State obviously didn't teach an accurate version of history or you'd be advocating for Victoria Woodhull. 12 Women Who Ran For President Before Hillary | HuffPost

Pretty sure it is framed as "first woman to be nominated to run for President by one of the major political parties." I mean... Jill Stein also has run for President.

As a Dem I don't. The first woman nominee is a huge thing, and since in 2020 it will be only a century women were allowed to vote.

Hillary was NOT the first female nominee for President. Your State obviously didn't teach an accurate version of history or you'd be advocating for Victoria Woodhull. 12 Women Who Ran For President Before Hillary | HuffPost

Pretty sure it is framed as "first woman to be nominated to run for President by one of the major political parties." I mean... Jill Stein also has run for President.

Not what he said.

Not what he said.

It's what the article says... which is what's relevant.

" who was the first woman to win a major political party's presidential nomination"

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to remove mentions of Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller from the state’s mandatory history curriculum — but will keep in Moses’ influence on U.S. founding documents, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The changes are part of an effort to selectively ”streamline” information in history classes for some 5.4 million schoolchildren.

As a part of the board’s assessment, each historical figure was given a numerical importance rating from one to 20 by committee members, according to the newspaper. Clinton, the first woman in U.S. history to win a presidential nomination by a major political party, only ranked a five. Keller, a writer and activist born in 1888 who was the first deaf and blind American to earn a college degree, rated a seven.

Local members of the Texas legislature rated a 20. All students are required to learn about the current U.S. president, so Donald Trump was not assessed.

Texas Monthly reported that board members had considered cutting a “value-laden” phrase about “all the heroic defenders who gave their lives” in the 1836 battle of the Alamo against Mexican soldiers in what was then Mexican Texas. One state official called it “politically correct nonsense,” and the board chose not to drop it.

“In Texas, you don’t mess with the Alamo and you don’t mess with our Christian heritage,” Texas Values President Jonathan M. Saenz said in a statement. “We applaud the majority of the State Board of Education for doing the right thing by restoring our foundational rights and history.”

Its Texas.

We were not expecting anyone from there to be able to split the atom or even a lunch bill for that matter.

This is not about Texas. This is about a small group of biased and ideological adults making decisions on how all children should be indoctrinated.

Who appoints/elects the small group?

Republican Party Platform Texas

GOP Opposes Critical Thinking

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

--------------------

Yep, that's the GOP Texas State party platform. KEEP KIDS STUPID!

That's how they want them not educated in Texas.

I'm a teacher. The middle approach is best. IOW students must have some foundation of knowledge before they can think critically. But the best course of action is to think critically, to be able to use the skills and knowledge they've learned not just to recite facts but to come to their own conclusions and build on their knowledge.

The Left can be too stupidly "forward thinking" and the Right can be too stupidly "backward thinking" to reduce it to simplistics.
stupidly "forward thinking"?

Because figuring out stuff is stupid?

Makes no sense to me.

Yes, being "forward thinking" is stupid when you think kids can construct their own knowledge out of nothing. It would be like giving a three year old a book and saying, "Here, figure out how to read this," without much or any instruction. Humans are not born knowing how to read. A very few can actually figure it out on their own; most can not.

You have to give them so much information and knowledge first, THEN they can figure out more. It is more than just "sense". It is actually common sense. I know that is in sad short supply these days.
Kids can construct their own knowledge out of nothing? That’s something I see Republicans do all the time with all their weird and bizarre conspiracies but I’ve never seen kids do that. And I don’t know anybody who supports it.

Um.....yes, and there's a whole theory and practice based on this called "constructivism". It is considered a Progressive practice and, while it does have its uses, produces poor test results and little accountability for students or teachers.

Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel every time you want to understand how a wheel works. Someone already did that, thousands and thousands of years ago. So go on, learn about it, and invent something else.

When I was in public education, I was taught how great Progressive Presidents like FDR were. There was not one bad word mentioned about him

However, as I learned latter, he was one of the most racist Presidents of our day, as he locked up innocent Japanese Americans just for having slanted eyes. He also despised the Constitution as the Supreme Court struck down many of his programs as unconstitutional, and then preceded to try and remove them all.

it has not changed. Today it is OK to cut classes if someone like Donald Trump is elected, or cut class to go protest a Left wing cause like gun control, while telling kids that Trump is a racist President and praising Barak Obama.

Meanwhile, it is revealed that people like Obama once wrote a paper of admiration of Trump in college showing once and for all that the racist BS about Trump is just that. And it is also BS that Trump is trying to take over the government. He would never dream of removing the Supreme Court justices.

Hell, they won't even let him appoint any.

That's not even what "racism" means Dippity. Racism means the belief that one race is superior to another.

By your ad hoc wacko definition Rump would also have to be "racist" on the basis of banning Muslims. And of course "Muslim" isn't a race so that still wouldn't work.

Yuh huh. Why don't you link us to where he said that.

Its Texas.

We were not expecting anyone from there to be able to split the atom or even a lunch bill for that matter.
This is not about Texas. This is about a small group of biased and ideological adults making decisions on how all children should be indoctrinated.

Who appoints/elects the small group?

Well….
Who elects or appoints these small groups?

U don't care about clunton. As a white citizen i am hoping Texas has enough class to teach history of slavery to the extent that all slave owners were lazy...unimaginably lazy and bad folk. That anyone could teach slavery as even somewhat acceptable goes against American ideals. C'mon losers defend slave owners the puked they wete. Abject bad people.

Forum List

Back