Texas livid over not getting gov't handout :-(

Maybe Houston is the home to our space program, and there's no good reason as to why they shouldn't be considered?

Sounds to me like this whole thing is going to be done to curry favor with politicians to get their support on legislation.

I personally agree completely, Houston should get the shuttle.

I just think it's pretty stupid to make a conspiracy out of it. There's a pretty simple explanation as to why it's going to NY: Tourism. The Intripid is already one of the biggest federally-owned tourist attractions in NY, this move will raise awareness and funding for NASA, which is clearly what they're trying to do.

If the Intrepid already has a great draw as you say, then adding the shuttle will generate nothing more in revenue.

I appreciate your thinking, but the truth is,it is a very poor decision if revenue is the issue...it makes absolutely no sense.

Wow....the irony...for an administration that wants to spread the wealth....it doesnt seem to want to spread the wealth as it appears to tourism and tourism revenue.

It's not about the tourism revenue for the city, it's about the exposure of NASA. It's a political play - but not in the sense that you guys seem to be thinking. It's not "payback" for favors, it's NASA trying to get more funding by increasing awareness, inspiring people, etc.

NASA funding has been a political football for a while now, and with the end of the shuttle program, NASA is less and less exciting. They're trying to change that, and NY makes more sense than Houston, in that sense. If you're already going to Johnson, you're already interested in space. But if you're on vacation in NY, the Intrepid is right there on 42nd Street.

At least that's my theory. I could be wrong, it could be part of a Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.

This decision makes no sense to me at all:

Mayor Parker's statement

"If he could overlook the history of human spaceflight here in Houston, if he could overlook the fact that we have been the home to the astronaut corps since its beginning, if he could overlook the fact that the memorial services for the Challenger and Columbia disasters were here, … I don't know what else we can do to convince him."

Shuttle squabble continues

it is not a handout...but nice spin.
They are not upset that they were not chosen to receive it.
They are upset as to why they were not considered to receive it.
And I agree.....there is no place for that type of childish game playing in Washington.

Let me guess. They're putting the shuttle in NY because of a liberal conspiracy?

Maybe because NY has a bigger tourism industry than Houston does?

The ONLY tourism that Houston has is NASA

It calls itself, "The Space City."

It has The Rockets (Pro Basketball), The Astros (Pro Baseball)

The first word spoken from the Moon: "Houston"

But, its in a Red State that will never vote for Obama, and the shuttles go to NY, LA, DC, and FL. Actually, I'm only surprised Chicago didn't get one.

No, no politics here, folks, just keep movin':eusa_whistle:

Chicago may not have gotten the Shuttle but Houston is being FORCED to give up other shuttle artifacts to Chicago.

Adler Planetarium in Chicago, Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, Ore., and Texas A&M’s Aerospace Engineering Department will each receive a shuttle simulator from Houston.

Houston's space snub only getting worse: Space City forced to give up shuttle gear to other cities - 2011-Apr-13 - CultureMap Houston

To all the Texans out there I say "MAN UP!!!" This shuttle is going to be < 20 miles from me:
Texas lawmakers: NASA, we have a problem - CNN.com
The Enterprise currently is on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia. The Enterprise, which never flew in space, will be moved to New York so the Smithsonian can make room for Discovery.

Texas already has JSC/Space City anyway. Let them eat cake.

To all the Texans out there I say "MAN UP!!!" This shuttle is going to be < 20 miles from me:
The Enterprise currently is on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia. The Enterprise, which never flew in space, will be moved to New York so the Smithsonian can make room for Discovery.

Texas already has JSC/Space City anyway. Let them eat cake.

Ahhhh, so now we get to the root of the matter. Its not about what makes sense or what is right, it's about "me, me, me, me, me!".

Figures.

CaféAuLait;3537237 said:
Let me guess. They're putting the shuttle in NY because of a liberal conspiracy?

But, its in a Red State that will never vote for Obama, and the shuttles go to NY, LA, DC, and FL. Actually, I'm only surprised Chicago didn't get one.

Chicago may not have gotten the Shuttle but Houston is being FORCED to give up other shuttle artifacts to Chicago.

Adler Planetarium in Chicago, Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, Ore., and Texas A&M’s Aerospace Engineering Department will each receive a shuttle simulator from Houston.

Houston's space snub only getting worse: Space City forced to give up shuttle gear to other cities - 2011-Apr-13 - CultureMap Houston

Worst thing to happen to Houston since Tennessee stole the Oilers

Seems I've ruffled the feathers of the usual suspects & they "Allie Babba'd" me. As I said before, quoting the great Sharron Angle :wink_2: "man up" :lol:

Last edited:
And I agree.....there is no place for that type of childish game playing in Washington.

I thought it was because they needed more "canvas" for graffiti.

I don't know what pisses them off more, not getting the federal handout or that it may be going to New York.

What it boils down to is that when push comes to shove these tough talking Conservatives have their hand out just like everyone else. :up:

What it boils down to is that when you're sending billions of dollars to Washington, you are entitled to get some of them back.

turds like you keep pushing the notion that anyone who objects to government programs is a hypocrite if they receive any of the benefits. That's like saying if a thief takes everything you own, but then gives you some groceries so you won't starve, you're a hypocrite if you take the groceries but still object to being robbed. Only morons and liberals are stupid enough to swallow that "logic."

Last edited:

Maybe it's because Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer live in New York, ya think?

Maybe it's because Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer live in New York, ya think?

Yes. Every state has 2 senators. That's how our system works.

What do Hilary Clinton and Chuck Schumer have to do with NASA?

CaféAuLait;3537237 said:

Worst thing to happen to Houston since Tennessee stole the Oilers

Heh.....No.

I remember watching the Oilers.

Texas owed TN a favor for sending Davy Crocket to help defend the Alamo.

By taking the Oilers, I figure TN got hood-winked.

I don't know what pisses them off more, not getting the federal handout or that it may be going to New York.

What it boils down to is that when push comes to shove these tough talking Conservatives have their hand out just like everyone else. :up:

Preiceless... a union drone yammering on about handouts.

:lol:

I thought the Republic of Texas didn't need anything from anybody???

(CNN) -- Texas lawmakers are demanding to know why the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston was not chosen to be a permanent home of a retired space shuttle.

Wasn't Gov. Perry talking about secession last year anyway? :eusa_eh: :lol:
At least they're lookin'-out for them, there womenfolk, down-that-way.......​

"Yesterday, the Texas Legislature passed legislation requiring doctors to perform a sonogram at least 24 hours before an abortion and to describe what the sonogram shows."

"Earlier this week, the Supreme Court declined to review the case of a recent Texas high school student who was kicked off her school’s cheerleading squad after she refused to chant the name of a basketball player who had allegedly raped her. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, one of the most conservative courts in the country, ruled last November that the victim — who is known only as H.S. — had no right to refuse to applaud her attacker because as a cheerleader in uniform, she was an agent of the school.

To add insult to injury, the Fifth Circuit dismissed her case as “frivolous” and sanctioned the girl, forcing her family to pay the school district’s $45,000 legal fees."

The OP, true to form, misses the point.

The real issue is fair and equal treatment under the law. If we are to have FEMA, it should not be used to reward cronies and punish opponents.

Preiceless... a union drone yammering on about handouts.

:lol:

How true. Union thugs are some of the biggest moochers on the planet.

Forum List

Back