Texas Gov Rick Perry monkeys with justice

I would wait jumping to conclusions, especially when it's from CNN or any corporate owned news source.

Good read on this story, 17 pages long:

Cameron Todd Willingham, Texas, and the death penalty : The New Yorker

On February 13th, four days before Willingham was scheduled to be executed, he got a call from Reaves, his attorney. Reaves told him that the fifteen members of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, which reviews an application for clemency and had been sent Hurst’s report, had made their decision.

“What is it?” Willingham asked.

“I’m sorry,” Reaves said. “They denied your petition.”

The vote was unanimous. Reaves could not offer an explanation: the board deliberates in secret, and its members are not bound by any specific criteria. The board members did not even have to review Willingham’s materials, and usually don’t debate a case in person; rather, they cast their votes by fax—a process that has become known as “death by fax.” Between 1976 and 2004, when Willingham filed his petition, the State of Texas had approved only one application for clemency from a prisoner on death row. A Texas appellate judge has called the clemency system “a legal fiction.” Reaves said of the board members, “They never asked me to attend a hearing or answer any questions.”

As for Perry, most of us can't wait for that RINO to get beaten by Kay.

Yeah, this story is truly bizarre. What would be really interesting is if some DA trying to make a name for himself filed murder charges against Perry.

Forum List

Back