Texas BOE claims pro-Islamic, anti-Christian bias in textbooks

Sheldon

Apr 2, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/education/23texas.html
HOUSTON — Some conservative members of the Texas Board of Education assert that the history books used in this state have a pro-Islamic bias, and they are upset about it. Never shy about wading into the culture wars, they are planning to vote Friday for a resolution that would send a blunt message to textbook publishers: Do not present a pro-Islamic, anti-Christian version of history if you want to sell books in one of the nation’s largest markets. “The purpose of this resolution is to ensure there is balanced treatment of divergent groups,” Gail Lowe, the chairwoman of the board, said. “In the past, the textbooks have had some bias against Christianity.”

As evidence of Islamic influence in textbook publishing, Mr. Rives cited a 2008 decision by the Dubai royal family to invest heavily in a company that owns the publishing house Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Boston. Earlier this year, the family’s investment arm, Istithmar World Capital, lost its stake in the publishing house after the publishing company restructured its debt, said Josef Blumenfeld, a spokesman for the publisher.

The resolution asserts that textbook writers habitually call Christians “violent attackers” or “invaders” while playing down Muslim conquests in Europe as “migrations.” Dan Quinn, a spokesman for the Texas Freedom Network, which advocates religious freedom in the classroom, said the resolution amounted to political grandstanding. “What it comes down to is pushing a misleading and inflammatory resolution to score political points,” he said. “It’s as if the board cannot go one meeting without dragging classrooms down into the culture wars.”

The textbooks called christians "violent attackers"? When? In the paragragh on the Crusades?

This is just goofy. Until 9/11, there just was not enough "American Muslins In The News" stuff to capture in any history book on the US.

The Texas Board of "Education" is pretty high on the list of reasons I consider Texas to be the most fucktarded state in the Union. In fact, it ranks right behind Gunny.

The textbooks called christians "violent attackers"? When? In the paragragh on the Crusades?

This is just goofy. Until 9/11, there just was not enough "American Muslins In The News" stuff to capture in any history book on the US.

TX just came out with a whole new set of books....it could be the new ones they are having the problems with.

T'aint the whole state, Kalam. Austin is way cool.

texas+history+books2.jpg

TX just came out with a whole new set of books....it could be the new ones they are having the problems with.

i'm pretty sure the new books were specified by the brainiacs on the BOE

T'aint the whole state, Kalam. Austin is way cool.

texas+history+books2.jpg

I know the whole state isn't like that. To me, it just seems like Texas has one of the world's highest concentrations of fat, loud assholes. ;)

High-school history textbooks are still Western centric. The medieval part of world history in my sophomore year pretty much glossed over the contributions of the Islamic world at the time, which was basically the repository for ancient Greek and Roman literature and knowledge while Europe bathed in a cesspool. The Islamic Golden Age is over-looked in favor of the black plague and knights in shining armor.

i'm pretty sure the new books were specified by the brainiacs on the BOE

They're not 'brainiacs' del, they are just 'unbiased' patriots who logically replaced the teachings and influence Thomas Jefferson had on the founding of our country with John Calvin, who lived 200 years before Jefferson.

Texas believes it is better to align American history with a Christian bigot from 16th century Europe, than a Founding Father who shaped this country. The Texas school board also refuses to teach students that the Constitution prevents the government from promoting one religion over another.

Oh, and of course, Hispanics no longer exist.

Sure sounds logical and unbiased to me...

Forum List

Back