Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Texas bans shooting immigrants from helicopters | The Raw Story

While announcing the new policy, Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw insisted that the ban on aerial shootings had nothing to do with the October 2012 death of two Guatemalan immigrants, who were gunned down by troopers in helicopter while they were hiding in the back of a speeding pickup truck near La Joya.

Never mind Texasss wanting to secede ... The US should just throw them out of the Union.

But I'm sure the usual suspects will just love the thought of illegal immigration being a capital offense.

To bad they are banning it....

There is no need to shoot someone dead from a helicopter. Just because they may be illegal doesn't mean they deserve to die!

dont cross the boarder illegally and dont get shot at..... its their choice.

Again, an illegal immigrant doesn't deserve to be shot. Detain them and deport them. They didn't kill anyone. Since when does killing them fit their crime?

ACLU of Texas Executive Director Terri Burke welcomed the change, but faulted the Texas Legislature for not moving to force the policy earlier.

“We were shocked. We’re thrilled, but we were surprised,” Burke said in a statement “We hope that this decision is a step, if only a small one, toward ending the culture of violence that pervades enforcement of border security in Texas.

A sad reflection on Texas that such a policy had to be instituted at all.

What Is Criminal Trespassing?

By Jack S. Waverly, eHow Contributor

The act of criminal trespassing is often known by other names such as negligent trespassing, unlawful access or sometimes "breaking and entering." It is when you enter property not owned by you without the knowledge of the owner. Criminal trespassing can be as simple as walking into a house unannounced, or walking behind a building; it can also involve robbery, vandalism or other crimes. Criminal trespassing is usually used as an underlying charge to other charges.

trespasser will be shot - Google Search

Last edited:
There is no need to shoot someone dead from a helicopter. Just because they may be illegal doesn't mean they deserve to die!

Again, an illegal immigrant doesn't deserve to be shot. Detain them and deport them. They didn't kill anyone. Since when does killing them fit their crime?

I would prefer them dead at the border then alive and across the border, thank you very much. Gun turrets and a kill zone along the border.....works for me.

…Guatemalan immigrants, who were gunned down by troopers in helicopter while they were hiding in the back of a speeding pickup truck near La Joya.

That would be murder anywhere else, as the hiding immigrants clearly posed no threat to troopers in a helicopter:

State game wardens were the first to encounter the truck Thursday. After the driver refused to stop, they radioed for help and state police responded, according to Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Mike Cox.

When the helicopter with a sharpshooter arrived, officers concluded that the truck appeared to be carrying a "typical covered drug load" on its bed and was travelling at reckless speeds, police said.

After the shots were fired and the truck's tires blown out, the driver lost control and crashed into a ditch.

Eight people who were in the truck were arrested. At least seven of them were also from Guatemala. No drugs were found.

The sharpshooter was placed on administrative leave, a standard procedure after such incidents.

An expert on police chases said the decision to fire on the truck was "a reckless act" that served "no legitimate law enforcement purpose."

"In 25 years following police pursuits, I hadn't seen a situation where an officer shot a speeding vehicle from a helicopter," said Geoffrey Alpert, professor of criminology at the University of South Carolina. Such action would be reasonable only if "you know for sure the person driving the car deserves to die and that there are no other occupants."

Questions over fatal shooting of 2 Guatemalans in South Texas - CBS News

In this or a similar incident, the state could be subject to a wrongful death lawsuit, as well as potential civil rights violations. Consequently, it’s remarkable this policy wasn’t implemented long ago.

Aw, man! That's the trouble with this country! Everything fun is getting illegal. And I had an Air Cobra on order (second amendment, arms in use by the military) just for this hunt.

Damn!

I would prefer them dead at the border then alive and across the border, thank you very much. Gun turrets and a kill zone along the border.....works for me.

So you support the murder of people who pose you no threat.

How nice. How very conservative.

how do you know they dont pose a threat?

They do not pose a threat to you at the time they are shot and killed, do they?

again... how do you know they don't pose a threat?

The federal government has posted signs along a major interstate highway in Arizona, more than 100 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border, warning travelers the area is unsafe because of drug and alien smugglers, and a local sheriff says Mexican drug cartels now control some parts of the state.

The signs were posted by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) along a 60-mile stretch of Interstate 8 between Casa Grande and Gila Bend, a major east-west corridor linking Tucson and Phoenix with San Diego.

They warn travelers that they are entering an “active drug and human smuggling area” and they may encounter “armed criminals and smuggling vehicles traveling at high rates of speed.” Beginning less than 50 miles south of Phoenix, the signs encourage travelers to “use public lands north of Interstate 8” and to call 911 if they “see suspicious activity.”
Signs in Arizona warn of smuggler dangers - Washington Times

True....once you shoot 'em and kill 'em, the threat no longer exists, and that's a good thing.

Good observation, all though it really doesn't take much thought to reach the conclusion.:eusa_whistle:

again... how do you know they don't pose a threat?

Does an illegal immigrant pose a threat to you at the time they cross the border, when you reside comfortably in a home, three or four states away?

The answer is no, so please don't say they do.

True....once you shoot 'em and kill 'em, the threat no longer exists, and that's a good thing.

Good observation, all though it really doesn't take much thought to reach the conclusion.:eusa_whistle:

There IS no damned threat! If there is a serial killer operating in New South Wales, which is one state away from mine, does that killer pose a threat to me at that moment? NO THEY DON'T!

Forum List

Back