Texas bans chaplains from its execution chamber

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The state of Texas has banned all prison chaplains from its execution chamber, days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the state could not execute an inmate without allowing a Buddhist chaplain into the death chamber with him.

The high court last week halted the execution of Patrick Murphy, a member of the infamous "Texas Seven," after Murphy claimed that the state was violating his religious rights by not allowing him to have a Buddhist chaplain in the room with him at the time of his scheduled death. The state only allows prison employees in the death chamber, and only Christian and Muslim clerics are employed with the state. During executions, a chaplain will often stand at the feet of the prisoner and rest a hand on his leg mouthing silent prayers.

The court stopped Murphy’s execution hours after it was scheduled to begin, ruling Texas could not execute him until his late appeal was considered unless the state provided a Buddhist spiritual adviser in the execution chamber. The ruling came less than two months after the same court decided against stopping the execution of a black prisoner in Alabama who requested a Muslim imam at his execution. Justice Brett Kavanaugh issued an opinion declaring that the exclusion of a Buddhist adviser was religious discrimination and proposed two alternatives for the Texas prison system: Don’t allow any chaplains into the execution chambers, or allow chaplains of all religions.

And that is exactly how that works.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh issued an opinion declaring that the exclusion of a Buddhist adviser was religious discrimination and proposed two alternatives for the Texas prison system: Don’t allow any chaplains into the execution chambers, or allow chaplains of all religions.

By proxy, Kavanaugh can extend this same ruling to Congressional sessions, where a christian preacher foists prayer for every kick off

~S~

It is a first amendment issue

A person should be allowed a chaplain of his religion, not the states chosen religion

Meh. Having said that it's a bit hard on the death rower to face death on their own. maybe one of the jailers could say a few words...like have a nice day??

Greg

A person should be allowed a chaplain of his religion, not the states chosen religion
I think "chosen religion" is horrible terminology for this but i agree.
Shouldnt be any at all imo.

Can't they all meet with their religious shaman of their choice before they are wheeled into the execution chamber?
There is no need to have the shaman in the execution chamber

Can't they all meet with their religious shaman of their choice before they are wheeled into the execution chamber?
There is no need to have the shaman in the execution chamber
I think it is an all or none situation

The state of Texas has banned all prison chaplains from its execution chamber, days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the state could not execute an inmate without allowing a Buddhist chaplain into the death chamber with him.

The high court last week halted the execution of Patrick Murphy, a member of the infamous "Texas Seven," after Murphy claimed that the state was violating his religious rights by not allowing him to have a Buddhist chaplain in the room with him at the time of his scheduled death. The state only allows prison employees in the death chamber, and only Christian and Muslim clerics are employed with the state. During executions, a chaplain will often stand at the feet of the prisoner and rest a hand on his leg mouthing silent prayers.

The court stopped Murphy’s execution hours after it was scheduled to begin, ruling Texas could not execute him until his late appeal was considered unless the state provided a Buddhist spiritual adviser in the execution chamber. The ruling came less than two months after the same court decided against stopping the execution of a black prisoner in Alabama who requested a Muslim imam at his execution. Justice Brett Kavanaugh issued an opinion declaring that the exclusion of a Buddhist adviser was religious discrimination and proposed two alternatives for the Texas prison system: Don’t allow any chaplains into the execution chambers, or allow chaplains of all religions.

I don't think this was the result the DP opponents were hoping for. They were hoping for a fight to keep the established protocols, with added chaplains.

Then they would claim the next guy to be executed was a member of the Jedi faith, and needed a Jedi to be with him.

I think "chosen religion" is horrible terminology for this but i agree.
Shouldnt be any at all imo.
I would think someone’s religion is a choice
You said the states chosen religion, which, i think, is ridiculous.
How many buddhists do you think live in TX? Enough for the state to hire a priest?
You are just a bigot.

Did they happen to mention WHY they restrict admittance to the execution chamber to prison employees? Sounds to me like a policy that had a reason behind it.

I can understand why the Department of Corrections only has Christians and Muslims on their staff. It's not like funding is unlimited, and they probably don't have a lot of call for Buddhists.

Moron, incarcerated felons rights are extremely limited. also, moron, there is no state religion.

Did they happen to mention WHY they restrict admittance to the execution chamber to prison employees? Sounds to me like a policy that had a reason behind it.

I can understand why the Department of Corrections only has Christians and Muslims on their staff. It's not like funding is unlimited, and they probably don't have a lot of call for Buddhists.

No.

Prison employees have extensive training. It would be a liability. Prison chaplains have some pretty extensive training and are certified. It's not just about a spiritual adviser that can go to a death chamber and be a security risk. It would also be irresponsible to allow a spiritual adviser with zero clinical training and experience in to watch the State execute a man, do nothing to stop it, and deal with the emotional and mental blow back that they are not equipped to handle while trying to help family members or others grieve. I would think at least.

Buddhists are about 1% of the Texas population (according to Pew).

This was a last ditch attempt to keep this guy alive. Most chaplains have extensive training to cater to an individual's spiritual needs. Cater is probably not the best word.

No.

Prison employees have extensive training. It would be a liability. Prison chaplains have some pretty extensive training and are certified. It's not just about a spiritual adviser that can go to a death chamber and be a security risk. It would also be irresponsible to allow a spiritual adviser with zero clinical training and experience in to watch the State execute a man, do nothing to stop it, and deal with the emotional and mental blow back that they are not equipped to handle while trying to help family members or others grieve. I would think at least.

This was a last ditch attempt to keep this guy alive. Most chaplains have extensive training to cater to an individual's spiritual needs. Cater is probably not the best word.

Certainly seems reasonable to me to not want random civilians wandering around restricted areas of the prison. I just wondered if this was simply a result of that general policy, or if they'd actually had some sort of incident that prompted security concerns.

No.

Certainly seems reasonable to me to not want random civilians wandering around restricted areas of the prison. I just wondered if this was simply a result of that general policy, or if they'd actually had some sort of incident that prompted security concerns.
I don't think they had an incident.

No.

The other thing you have to worry about is creating a situation where the people trying to stop or delay the execution can point out a deviance from procedures.

You would get a catch-22 situation. "Let the buddhist in or we will sue to delay the execution because 1st amendment, but let the buddhist in and we will still sue to delay the execution because you are not following your own procedures.

Worrying. I see this "mit brennnender Sorge" - with burning anxiety. A human being should not be executed at all. Death penalty is definitely wrong. But if a state misuses the own might to execute a human being, then a consecrated man or woman from the own religion should be on the side of the doomed person. That's in my eyes a human right.

Last edited:

No.

Prison employees have extensive training. It would be a liability. Prison chaplains have some pretty extensive training and are certified. It's not just about a spiritual adviser that can go to a death chamber and be a security risk.

What a nonsense. Do you live in fear someone could be a suicide bomber in a death chamber?

No.

Prison employees have extensive training. It would be a liability. Prison chaplains have some pretty extensive training and are certified. It's not just about a spiritual adviser that can go to a death chamber and be a security risk.

What a nonsense. Do you live in fear someone could be a suicide bomber in a death chamber?

Neither you nor anyone else on this board is an expert on running a prison. You know who is? The Texas Department of Corrections. Absent any glaring evidence to the contrary, I think it's prudent to give them the benefit of the doubt that they MIGHT know something we don't.

Forum List

Back