Texans Fed Up With Texas Board Of Education

I didn't realize you were a teacher, Samson. May I ask, why is there (apparently...please dun holla at me any more) objection to the vouchers for private school tuition? This seems to me to be a terrific idea.

Yes, there are excellent and very reasonable objections to a voucher system, about which I've posted at length in the Education Forum, but which I'll highlight here:

TRANSPORTATION:

Just because you have a voucher, doesn't mean you can CHOOSE go to ANY school you want. How do you get there? You gotta go somewhere local.

Rural: What choice is there?
Urban: Ditto
Suburban: Here you find some guys that would benefit, because there are moms or dads can shuttle kids to wherever they want.

David Bradley and Bib Craig are, definitely, not teacher/scholars.

So, actually, it's the Texans that are FOS.
If they didn't want any politicians, or if they wanted only teachers...
They probably shouldn't have elected these 2 guys :D

"Scholar" is a pretty broad term

I wouldn't define either as a career politician.
They still have time
:eusa_shhh:

What about Lawrence Allen, Jr., who serves on the board's Committee on Instruction and previously served on the Committee on Planning?

Along with his service on the board, Allen is the director of special projects in the Houston Independent School District. He served as principal of the Jesse H. Jones High, assistant principal of Dowling Middle, Jones Senior and Jack Yates High School. He was a teacher at Lanier and Dowling Middle School.

He holds a bachelor’s and two master’s degrees from Prairie View A&M University.

two master’s degrees from Prairie View A&M University!!!!:eek:

How much more fuckin' scholarly do you want???:eusa_eh:

Easy, Sammy.

Just hard-assing ya :cool:
I ain't got a dog in this fight and, from what I've seen of these people's bios, they seem quite qualified (except for maybe the insurance/real estate guy, but if he has the district's best interest at heart, I can't fault him).

I should probably retire for the night. I'm not relaying my levity too well.
:D

And What about Terri Leo, who currently serves as secretary of the board.

Leo received her Master's Degree with honors in Educational Administration from Texas A & M University-Commerce. Graduating Summa Cum Laude from the University of North Dakota, she earned her undergraduate degrees in both elementary and special education. She is a former teacher of visual impairment students. She has served as a teacher in Dallas, Garland, and Conroe Independent School Districts.

Leo is a three-time recipient of the D.J. Robertson Achievement Award and the Larimore Matthews Scholarship.

Fuck, SHE's a TEACHER that's received SCHOLARSHIPS, for CHRISTSSAKES!!!

Easy, Sammy.

Just hard-assing ya :cool:
I ain't got a dog in this fight and, from what I've seen of these people's bios, they seem quite qualified (except for maybe the insurance/real estate guy, but if he has the district's best interest at heart, I can't fault him).

I should probably retire for the night. I'm not relaying my levity too well.
:D

Yeah I'm a little surprised at that guy's thin credentials, but, on the other hand, I'm glad to see that a regular joe-six-pack has a voice, rather than a bunch of egg-heads.

So what?

The poll results say Texans don't want politicians:

THEY DO NOT HAVE POLITICIANS ON THE TEXAS SBOE!

You're right! They're not politicians.

From the Article:

Texas' right wing-Christian dominated State Board of Education has mandated a bizarrely warped US history curriculum for Texas school children - and, because of Texas' enormous influence on the nation's textbook market, most non-Texan students as well.

I guess that means they are "Bizarrely warped right-wing Christians".

So, because the article says they are "bizarrely warped right wing christians," you believe they are "bizarrely warped right-winged christians?"

Lemming.

But I suppose simply believing anything you read is much easier than confirming it by actually reading the few bios of SBOE Chairpeople that I included in each of my posts.

the board included a plank directing students to learn about "the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association." Because they didn't care much for Thomas Jefferson, who coined the evil term "wall of separation between church and state," they erased him from the history books, only to be replaced by lessons on the Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas.

If that's what they want to teach, then yea, they are "bizarrely warped right-winged Christians".

I was surprised they included Phyllis "my son is gay and lives with me at home" Schlafly. Alan Keyes had the "moral fortitude" to throw his daughter out into the street penniless. He wanted to make a point about what a fine upstanding Christian he is who promotes "family values". The operation was a success, but the patient "died".

You're right! They're not politicians.

From the Article:

Texas' right wing-Christian dominated State Board of Education has mandated a bizarrely warped US history curriculum for Texas school children - and, because of Texas' enormous influence on the nation's textbook market, most non-Texan students as well.

I guess that means they are "Bizarrely warped right-wing Christians".

So, because the article says they are "bizarrely warped right wing christians," you believe they are "bizarrely warped right-winged christians?"

Lemming.

But I suppose simply believing anything you read is much easier than confirming it by actually reading the few bios of SBOE Chairpeople that I included in each of my posts.

the board included a plank directing students to learn about "the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association." Because they didn't care much for Thomas Jefferson, who coined the evil term "wall of separation between church and state," they erased him from the history books, only to be replaced by lessons on the Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas.

If that's what they want to teach, then yea, they are "bizarrely warped right-winged Christians".

I was surprised they included Phyllis "my son is gay and lives with me at home" Schlafly. Alan Keyes had the "moral fortitude" to throw his daughter out into the street penniless. He wanted to make a point about what a fine upstanding Christian he is who promotes "family values". The operation was a success, but the patient "died".

Retard regurgitating the retarded.

Lemming.

Retard regurgitating the retarded.

To right wing tards, the truth is always "retarded". They live in such a "scary" world.

Here is what the relevant poll results were:

Texans appear to have finally had enough. Last week the Texas Freedom Network released the results of a statewide survey showing that most Texans want an end to the curriculum battles that have divided the Texas State Board of Education. 72% of likely voters say they want teachers and scholars, not politicians, to be responsible for writing curriculum standards.

The Chairman of the Texas State Board of Education is Gail Lowe.

Prior to her election to the State Board of Education, Lowe served on the Lampasas Independent School District Board of Trustees, as well as district and campus site-based decision-making committees. She has been a longtime classroom volunteer, working primarily with elementary schoolchildren who have fallen behind in their reading and math skills

Clearly, Lowe is not a politician, but is a teacher and a scholar.

Who is on the Texas SBOE that IS a politician???

Where does it say she was a teacher? Missed it in the write up.

Nor is David Bradley, who serves as chair of the School Finance/Permanent School Fund committee, a "politician."

Bradley is married and has two children. Bradley, a self-employed businessman, is licensed in insurance and real estate sales

Who are all these politicians that are on the SBOE?

Huh?

:eusa_whistle:

Another one who was never a teacher.

streeter-61810-b.gif

streeter-61810-a.gif

The map shows county migration in the United States in pictorial form. Black lines show inward migration to a county, and red lines show outward migration. The thicker the line, the higher the volume.

Texas: Who’s Moving Where

Looks like a lot of Blue state people have been moving to Texas.
Uh oh. Does that mean that they aren't going to secede from the Union? And I had such high hopes. Oh well.

The ones going to TX are probably ones that it would be fine to see go with TX if it secedes. Or when it secedes (wishful thinking here)

Presumably schools replace books because they wear out, mostly. I would imagine only History and the like become truely out-dated. Your gizmo sounds terrific, though the screen would be too small for me. I can't see the upside to allowing school kids to use their e-readers as MP3 players, though.

Doesn't the iPad do just as many functions?

Schools replace books usually because they have some bizarre schedule (4-5 years) where they do another textbook adoption WHETHER THE OLD BOOKS ARE OBSOLETE OR NOT. I have friends and family who are teachers and sometimes the district...just because it's in the schedule...will get rid of perfectly good books and get crappy books because....it's time. And this, of course, costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Presumably schools replace books because they wear out, mostly. I would imagine only History and the like become truely out-dated. Your gizmo sounds terrific, though the screen would be too small for me. I can't see the upside to allowing school kids to use their e-readers as MP3 players, though.

Doesn't the iPad do just as many functions?

Schools replace books usually because they have some bizarre schedule (4-5 years) where they do another textbook adoption WHETHER THE OLD BOOKS ARE OBSOLETE OR NOT. I have friends and family who are teachers and sometimes the district...just because it's in the schedule...will get rid of perfectly good books and get crappy books because....it's time. And this, of course, costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You've been manipulated by the writer of the article, and your own POV: The fact is Texans are getting exactly what they want, and have always wanted for as long as I can remember.....30+ years of hard-core, conservative educational values.

I've gone through the Texas Public School System, worked in it, had kids in it, and can compare it to Colorado.

I was required to wear a tie: In Colorado, teachers wear sandals and ear-rings (males)

In Texas, schools don't "Celebrate" Halloween: In Colorado, classrooms have Halloween Parties!!

In Texas Teacher Unions are Outlawed: In Colorado, they have Teacher Unions

In Texas, the State Standardized test is taken VERY SERIOUSLY: In Colorado....meh, not so much.

Ah.

The ones going to TX are probably ones that it would be fine to see go with TX if it secedes. Or when it secedes (wishful thinking here)

Or, it could be something crazy:

1. 7/17/2010: The Texas Economy is comparatively good

Texas seasonally adjusted unemployment rate dropped to 8.2 percent in June, down from 8.3 percent in May, and continued to trend well below the U.S. seasonally adjusted unemployment rate of 9.5 percent for the same month. Texas total nonagricultural employment grew by 14,000 jobs in June for a total of 166,100 jobs gained since the beginning of 2010.

2. There is NO State Income Tax in Texas.

Where does it say she was a teacher? Missed it in the write up.

"She has been a longtime classroom volunteer, working primarily with elementary schoolchildren who have fallen behind in their reading and math skills"

Sounds like "A Teacher" to me, but you go ahead a split hairs over qualifications if you feel it might help the feeble arguement that Texas Voters are not satisfied with the SBOE.

Texas seasonally adjusted unemployment rate dropped to 8.2 percent in June, down from 8.3 percent in May, and continued to trend well below the U.S. seasonally adjusted unemployment rate of 9.5 percent for the same month. Texas total nonagricultural employment grew by 14,000 jobs in June for a total of 166,100 jobs gained since the beginning of 2010.

I'm sure the oil wells have nothing to do with it.:eusa_whistle:

That I can believe. Too many things really don't change like the math for high school students. And basic electricity, DUH Ohm's Law changed last week. :lol: But I remember beating my brains out trying to come up with the same answer that was in the back of a math book but it turned out that the book was wrong. If they would stop making useless changes in books the errors could be eliminated.

But if all of the kids had netbooks then the switch could be made to electronic books in all subjects. It eliminates books wearing out and small changes could be made without replacing entire books.

I think textbook publishers must be crapping their pants.

psik

I'm sure the oil wells have nothing to do with it.:eusa_whistle:

:eusa_eh:

A non sequitur is a conversational and literary device, often used for comedic purposes. It is a comment that, because of its apparent lack of meaning relative to what it follows, seems absurd to the point of being humorous or confusing.

:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back