Testing for all Babyboomer's

peach174

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
S.E. AZ
The Center for Disease Control wants all baby boomer's to get tested for hepatitis C.
What gets me is they are assuming that all of us experimented with drug needles at least once during our life and then suggest that we don't remember it.
One in thirty have the virus, yet they want insurance companies to pay for the test to all 78 million of us.

Facts on how you may have gotten it:

People who are at risk for hepatitis C include:

Peopleborn between 1945 and 1965.
People who had blood transfusions or organ transplants before 1992.
People with tattoos or body piercings.
People who used intravenous drugs, even once.
People who work in a health care setting.
People with HIV.

Seems to me if you never did any of the above, chances are slim to none, that you are not infected and you are one of the 29 who don't have it.
It's the assumption that all baby boomer's fit into this category that really pisses me off.

Not all baby boomer's did needles, not all baby boomer's did piercings or tattoos.

It is possible some people were infected in ways other than injection drug use or long-ago blood transfusions. Some experts say tattoos, piercings, shared razor blades and toothbrushes, manicures and sniffed cocaine may have caused the virus to spread in some cases.

Those kinds of experiences might not raise flags in the minds of many patients or their physicians, experts said.

TODAYonline | World | Baby boomers urged to go for hepatitis C test: CDC

I tell you what. Don't get the voluntary test and if you find out later in life that you're dying of hepatitis c, die quietly on your own dime and not medicare's.

:thup:

It is possible some people were infected in ways other than injection drug use or long-ago blood transfusions. Some experts say tattoos, piercings, shared razor blades and toothbrushes, manicures and sniffed cocaine may have caused the virus to spread in some cases.

Those kinds of experiences might not raise flags in the minds of many patients or their physicians, experts said.

I tell you what. Don't get the voluntary test and if you find out later in life that you're dying of hepatitis c, die quietly on your own dime and not medicare's.

Yet its the right that is cold and heartless.

I tell you what. Don't get the voluntary test and if you find out later in life that you're dying of hepatitis c, die quietly on your own dime and not Medicare's.

Many of us did nothing like that.
We were taught not to share personnel things between others.
1 in 30 do not have it.
I sure as hell, did not do any of those things, so I will not die of hepatitis C. It's the assumption that we all did this and it is not correct.
Medicare and SSI more than likely will not be there for us born towards the tail end of the boomer's. If congress does not reform both SSI and Medicare they will not be there for any of us.
The new Health Care bill throws all seniors off a cliff, because Doctor's are not accepting new patients with Medicare.

I tell you what. Don't get the voluntary test and if you find out later in life that you're dying of hepatitis c, die quietly on your own dime and not Medicare's.

1 in 30 do not have it.
I sure as hell, did not do any of those things, so I will not die of hepatitis C. It's the assumption that we all did this and it is not correct.
Medicare and SSI more than likely will not be there for us born towards the tail end of the boomer's. If congress does not reform both SSI and Medicare they will not be there for any of us.
The new Health Care bill throws all seniors off a cliff, because Doctor's are not accepting new patients with Medicare.
Never had a manicure or got your ears pierced. Sure.

Like I said, die on your own dime.

TODAYonline | World | Baby boomer's urged to go for hepatitis C test: CDC

1 in 30 do not have it.
Never had a manicure or got your ears pierced. Sure.

Like I said, die on your own dime.

No I didn't. I have always done my own nails and I never pierced my ears.
See, even you are assuming everyone does go get manicures or that all have pierced ears.
It's not true.
Just ignore that 29 out of 30 don't have it.

There's no apostrophe in plural forms.

Just sayin'.

Oh for heaven's sake. At least you can read it and know what I'm talking about, unlike many in here who can't spell worth a damn.
boomers got it! Ok?
Why is that conservatives must be absolutely correct with spelling and no typo's, while the left can do whatever and not be corrected?

Actually, it probably has more to do w/blood. My aunt got it from a blood transfusion during an operation back before blood was really tested (in the 70's I think). It only really started to be tested in 1990.

Actually, it probably has more to do w/blood. My aunt got it from a blood transfusion during an operation back before blood was really tested (in the 70's I think). It only really started to be tested in 1990.

My brother is a heroin addict and shared needles, I think he had hepatitis before he even went to prison.

The Center for Disease Control wants all baby boomer's to get tested for hepatitis C.
What gets me is they are assuming that all of us experimented with drug needles at least once during our life and then suggest that we don't remember it.
One in thirty have the virus, yet they want insurance companies to pay for the test to all 78 million of us.

People with HIV.

Seems to me if you never did any of the above, chances are slim to none, that you are not infected and you are one of the 29 who don't have it.
It's the assumption that all baby boomer's fit into this category that really pisses me off.

Not all baby boomer's did needles, not all baby boomer's did piercings or tattoos.

If there is an overall cost benefit to pinpointing everyone with Hep C, then it makes sense. With cure rates at near 100%, it would seem to make sense to identify anyone with Hep C now, rather than wait to treat them at advanced stages of the illness. Hep C can lead to cirrhosis of the liver among other things. It will kill you eventually if you have it. However, if you are treated successfully, then that removes all of the long term consequences. Seems to be a win win to me.

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/news/20070521/hepatitis-c-cures-now-common

Last edited:
Seems to me that it would be more reasonable to say, if you have done or think you have been exposed to it you need to get tested.
Requiring all babyboomers to me, is accusing all of us of having done any of things mentioned.
What really was insulting is that they think you might not remember ever having experimented with drugs or a needle.
3% of boomers out of 78 million.
I think the majority of us did none of things mentioned and that is why the majority of us don't have it.

Seems to me that it would be more reasonable to say, if you have done or think you have been exposed to it you need to get tested.
Requiring all babyboomers to me, is accusing all of us of having done any of things mentioned.
What really was insulting is that they think you might not remember ever having experimented with drugs or a needle.
I think the majority of us did none of things mentioned and that is why the majority of us don't have it.

:rolleyes:

It isn't required, merely recommended. If this had happened under Bush I'm sure you would have been first in line.

:rolleyes:

It isn't required, merely recommended. If this had happened under Bush I'm sure you would have been first in line.

No way !
It is still insulting no matter who the president was or is.

People with HIV.

Most women have pierced ears. That is considered a 'body" piercing.
Most people have visited a hospital.... slim chance...but still a risk.
When you have sex with someone.. you are also having sex with every single person they ever slept with and so on and so on....

The important thing is.... most people interact with other people who have one or all of the risk factors. Even if you yourself have none of the risk factors.... you do interact with them... and that is a risk.

Yep, 85 percent have pierced ears or some type of piercing.
So I should think that they want everyone who has done any of above mentioned should go and get tested. Not a certain group.

ATLANTA – For the first time, the government is proposing that all baby boomers get tested for hepatitis C.

Yep, 85 percent have pierced ears or some type of piercing.
So I should think that they want everyone who has done any of above mentioned should go and get tested. Not a certain group.

ATLANTA – For the first time, the government is proposing that all baby boomers get tested for hepatitis C.

I am so getting off of you that you seem to think you are above any of this and have zero risk. Have you lived in a bubble all your life?

Forum List

Back