Tesla’s electric pick up. What say you truck lovers

I think it's pretty cool that they designed something that looks different and not like other cars/trucks.

Do I want one? Not really, if I got a pickup I'd want to put a fiberglass cap/topper/whatever you want to call it on and it would look stupid on that one.
Most people who want a pickup truck want something that can carry lots of weight and pull a big load. Electric, yeah, great as soon as it is loaded or hauling, the mileage goes to shit. Dont doubt me.
That hasn't been true for the last two decades, most people who buy a truck these days buy it as a status symbol otherwise trucks wouldn't cost $40 - 50K.
/----/ I'm not a truck guy.If all you need is a workhorse, trucks start at less than $19,000 and I'm sure you can get one cheaper.- stripped down to the bare minimum just like the old days.
10 Cheapest New 2018 - 2019 Pickup Trucks - 2019 and 2020 Pickup Trucks
Yup, all my trucks in the 70s and 80s cost me about half of what a passenger car cost at the time.

Even the $69,900 one won't do a third of what it will say it will do and end up costing twice as much even IF it is ever actually produced.

82fac6e8a9ab08cb351629b3969ecdf3657c78ee64d6cf518e3b7917adeaedaf_1.jpg

While I personally think that anyone buying a "pickup truck" with a bed shorter than six feet is a fairy, my opinion is obviously in the minority. Even the most humoungous trucks these days are four-door vehicles with pathetic five foot (60 inch) beds. This trend appllies to both full-sized and mid-size trucks.

What appears to matter to pickup buyers is PAYLOAD and TOWING CAPACITY, by which measures the Tesla "doorstop" measures up nicely. Indeed, if you are willing to pay extra for more juice, you can get both payload and towing comparable to the best standard (half-ton) trucks, albeit with dramatically reduced range under load.'

For those who want the traditional eight foot bed, Tesla has no answer. So they walk away from 20% of the customer pool.

And yet...I recall you own a Ridgeline, with its <6' bed.

HYPOCRITE!

I like some of the specs on it. 16 inches of ground clearance and 14,000 pound towing capacity is good for a stock pickup. I don't like the price tag or the way the sides of the box slope upward. They would get just in the way when you chuck stuff over the side. And I much prefer a minimum of 8 foot x 4 foot box so that standard sized sheets of building material will fit in there.

After that "unbreakable glass" demonstration fiasco, no thanks. I'd be afraid to park it anywhere in public because someone will, no doubt, want to test it for themselves.

For many, an EV pickup just won't work for their needs. Especially, if they go to remote areas and need to haul and/or tow stuff. I can easily carry a jerry can with 5 gallons of extra gas on my Jeep Wrangler, and know I have 80 more miles to find a gas station if I need one.

Obviously, an EV is not right for everyone. But the specs make it essentially better than anything else in the current marketplace. If not having an 8' bed is a problem, nobody seems to have told THE AMERICAN PUBLIC, which buys 75% 4-door trucks with 5' beds. The important dimension is that it's more than 48" between the wheel wells.

If he can hit the $40k base price he will kick ass.

Forum List

Back