Tesla - The First Legit Electric Car

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
These guys have succeed! And its a huge first step toward the electric car. A 5 seate cool looking family car.

Why it will sell:
(1) It looks sleek and cool. Image is important
(2) While $50K is expensive, its affordable to a lot of people in the upper middle class
(3) 300 mile range on a 45 minute charge. If you have a 20 mile commute, then you can go 15 days without charging. 45 min charge, is very short. Even outside salesmen can survive! Not too many people are going to do 300 miles in a day too often. 300 miles is more than enough for the vast majority of people!
(4) Family Car: It can fit 5 adults and 2 children.
(5) More Cargo space than station wagons!
(6) 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
(7) No Gas = No carbon Emission = No pollution
(8) People will like the fact that they are delivering a great economic blow to Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc and freeing America of foreign oil!
Model S FAQ

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510952,00.html
HAWTHORNE, California — Electric car start-up Tesla Motors Inc unveiled its newest, cheapest vehicle on Thursday, a four-door sedan that can carry five adults and could travel up to 300 miles per charge.

Click here for PHOTOS of the Tesla Model S

The Model S will cost $49,900, after a U.S. government tax credit of $7,500, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said at the car's unveiling. It is slated to go into production in 2011 and will be manufactured in Southern California.

In his remarks, Musk billed the Model S as the first mass-market, highway-ready electric vehicle. And, he said, the price is comparable to that of a $35,000 gasoline-powered car such as a Ford Taurus, assuming gas prices of about $4 a gallon.

"Would you rather have this car, or would you rather have a Ford Taurus?" Musk asked the crowd of journalists.

Attachments

• $Tesla.jpg
    $Tesla.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

But not promising like the Tesla

leased to consumers cost $500 a month. Since each of those cars cost about $1 million to build, Honda's clearly not making money on that deal.

Correct as far as the prototype goes (which does look boxy anyway) but the new one will be built on a production line rather than being individually built by hand (as the current version is).

I also love the idea that the only thing it emits is water, goes from 0-60 in about 9 seconds and has a top speed of over 120mph. It's just like a 'real' car. Plus on a full tank of hydrogen is has a range of about 250 miles.

Don't get me wrong. The Tesla looks good too.

Correct as far as the prototype goes (which does look boxy anyway) but the new one will be built on a production line rather than being individually built by hand (as the current version is).
How much could the production line cost bring it down to? Could it be under $50K?
the Tesla looks a heck of a lot cooler either way!

I also love the idea that the only thing it emits is water
The Tesla emits nothing!

goes from 0-60 in about 9 seconds
The Tesla in 5.6 sec!
and has a top speed of over 120mph.
Ditto for the Tesla

Plus on a full tank of hydrogen is has a range of about 250 miles.
300 for the Tesla and isn't H highly flamable and very dangerous. Think the Zepplin on wheels!

Don't get me wrong. The Tesla looks good too.
The Tesla looks to me like the first legit electric car!

it is a beautiful car. i also like the fact that Tesla is basically a LOTUS with an electric motor.

i still don't understand how am i supposed to charge it though ? i live in an apartment in NYC. most of the time i can't find parking within a block of where i live. am i supposed to purchase a 2,000 foot extension cord ?

Hmm ... so ... we exchange air quality for water quality ... seriously, just because the exhaust is "cleaner" doesn't mean the car is environmentally "safer".

What does one do with all those toxic batteries? What are the byprooducts of their production?

By the way, GM has been running very successful cold weather (sub zero) tests on the Volt all winter.

The pricing is expected to be released in May. I sure hope it comes in well below the 60K for the Tesla.

Jay Leno states it is a superior car compared to the Prius. No surprise there.

Hmm ... so ... we exchange air quality for water quality ... seriously, just because the exhaust is "cleaner" doesn't mean the car is environmentally "safer".

Can you expand on that? I'd been assuming that belching out carbon monoxide was probably worse than belching out H2O, and that H2O was probably not harmful. If you have some info about the quality of this H2O it would be interesting to hear about.

it is a beautiful car. i also like the fact that Tesla is basically a LOTUS with an electric motor.

i still don't understand how am i supposed to charge it though ? i live in an apartment in NYC. most of the time i can't find parking within a block of where i live. am i supposed to purchase a 2,000 foot extension cord ?

I guess your S.O.L.! My brother went to NYU and lived in the city for 5 yrs after he graduated and didn't have a car the whole time and got around fine! I assume when the electric car takes off, there will be a way to accommodate you city folk!

Where did you get water quality as a exchange?
The Tesla emits nothing, since nothing is getting burned! Not only can we get off our unhealthy addiction to foreign oil, there will be no air, carbon or water pollution. I guarantee this is the start. Next is the GM Volt, next Honda, Mitsubishi, Ford and any other auto company that wants to stay in business will have to go all electric. Oil prices will drop far and fast! Venezuela, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq who unhealthily basis their entire economies on oil exports will be in for a rude awakening!

The chemicals to make batteries are just as toxic, only the toxins go down not up. Electric cars also still pollute the ground just as much as gas ones from the oils. It's another of those "feel good green things" that people never really consider the entire picture for. It's not any better, it's just different.

What does one do with all those toxic batteries? What are the byprooducts of their production?

By the way, GM has been running very successful cold weather (sub zero) tests on the Volt all winter.

The pricing is expected to be released in May. I sure hope it comes in well below the 60K for the Tesla.

I hope the Volt is a winner also! I want as many successful electric cars as possible. Note, the Tesla is around $50K! I am serious looking into one!

For the toxic batteries? I have no idea what we do with them. Maybe ship them off to a landfill in China? J/K!
Hopefully we will find a good way to recycle and dispose of them, but other than that I am not an expert on waste disposal, so its tough for me to give an answer!

Last edited:
The chemicals to make batteries are just as toxic, only the toxins go down not up. Electric cars also still pollute the ground just as much as gas ones from the oils. It's another of those "feel good green things" that people never really consider the entire picture for. It's not any better, it's just different.

I accept that creating electricity can be polluting, but to say that electric power is no better, only different seems a strange position to take. I think it's one of many steps that need to be taken in the right direction.

Always the pessimist huh? I am sure we can find a safe recycle and disposal method!

300 for the Tesla and isn't H highly flamable and very dangerous. Think the Zepplin on wheels!

Gas is also highly flamable, I remember seeing a TV special on alternate car fuels and they mentioned crash testing hydrogen powered engines and the results weren't that much different than gas powered ones.

I can't remember the show though. Sorry.

Always the pessimist huh? I am sure we can find a safe recycle and disposal method!

You do realize that recycling plants put out as much pollution and cause just as much harm as "virgin" material plants ...

Gas is also highly flamable, I remember seeing a TV special on alternate car fuels and they mentioned crash testing hydrogen powered engines and the results weren't that much different than gas powered ones.

I can't remember the show though. Sorry.

Hydrogen is much more flammable, thos idiots who blow themselve up with gas just don't respect it enough to be safe.

These guys have succeed! And its a huge first step toward the electric car. A 5 seate cool looking family car.

Why it will sell:
(1) It looks sleek and cool. Image is important
(2) While $50K is expensive, its affordable to a lot of people in the upper middle class
(3) 300 mile range on a 45 minute charge. If you have a 20 mile commute, then you can go 15 days without charging. 45 min charge, is very short. Even outside salesmen can survive! Not too many people are going to do 300 miles in a day too often. 300 miles is more than enough for the vast majority of people!
(4) Family Car: It can fit 5 adults and 2 children.
(5) More Cargo space than station wagons!
(6) 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
(7) No Gas = No carbon Emission = No pollution
(8) People will like the fact that they are delivering a great economic blow to Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc and freeing America of foreign oil!
Model S FAQ

The car pictured? No way that it holds 7 people. Do the kids get folded and put in the trunk?

Those 'toxic' batteries are made of lithium or nickel, both rather expensive materials. They will be recycled.

I have freinds that have Priuses. If Chevy makes a car that is the equal to them, it will be a real accomplishment.

Forum List

Back