Tesla Model S - Love the Car and Range, but...

You can also plug it into the solar collector on your roof, you are not locked into conventional sources of electricity!!!

It takes about a week to recharge an EV with a solar set up. Sometimes as much as two weeks. In winter time it could take over a month.

As usual you are full of shit, Walleyes. A grid tied installation will take no more time to charge the car than a home without the solar power. The differance is that the person with the solar may just get a bit of money back at the end of the year instead of an increasing electric bill every month. Even with the fast electric.

:lol::lol::lol: GRID TIED MENSA BOY you're a ignorant twit!:lol::lol:

Get rid of the government subsidy and I am all for this car and others like it

If Tesla has a good product the market will buy it- government incentives only distort the market. We need to end all Crony Capitalism.

Get rid of all government subsidies and tax credits for the petroleum and coal companies first.

Here I agree with you. They will survive and your green energy companies will disappear and leave a good chunk of change in the pockets of those who need it.

The Nissan Leaf info tells buyers to have a DEDICATED 220V 40A breaker for the charger adapter (sold separately). YES I said 40 Amp!!!

However they specify the charge time as 7 hrs on 220V service. Using the 25KWhr EV battery capacity and adding a bit for charge losses -- that implies about 18Amp to get done in one solar day. That's a 4KW actual demand from anywhere (solar or not).. I'm being generous about "one solar day" since you're not gonna get 7 hrs except for peak summer.

There's no way around it.. You've just easily doubled the typical installed solar array in order to still run your home during the day that you are charging. OR

You could live on the EV edge and trickle charge the car from 110V which takes about 20 hours. IF you can be daring and live with tank never really full -- or spring for PAYING the electric company to continue to charge at night..

I doubt there's much change in the charge rates and loads for the Tesla, but the capacity is much higher.

40 amps huh. I wonder how many places can handle that without a re-wire.

It takes about a week to recharge an EV with a solar set up. Sometimes as much as two weeks. In winter time it could take over a month.

As usual you are full of shit, Walleyes. A grid tied installation will take no more time to charge the car than a home without the solar power. The differance is that the person with the solar may just get a bit of money back at the end of the year instead of an increasing electric bill every month. Even with the fast electric.

:lol::lol::lol: GRID TIED MENSA BOY you're a ignorant twit!:lol::lol:

Yes grid tied, you senile old fool.

Grid tie Solar Power Systems - Grid tie Solar Panel Systems

Last edited:
Get rid of the government subsidy and I am all for this car and others like it

If Tesla has a good product the market will buy it- government incentives only distort the market. We need to end all Crony Capitalism.

Get rid of all government subsidies and tax credits for the petroleum and coal companies first.

Here I agree with you. They will survive and your green energy companies will disappear and leave a good chunk of change in the pockets of those who need it.

No, they will not. Because it is time to charge the coal companies for the environmental damage they do, from the destroyed streams and rivers, to the asthma that afflicts our children in far greater numbers than ever before.

Forget the TESLA --- I saw this last night on TV. I WANT ONE..

Doesn't matter if it runs on hamster hearts. Doesn't matter if it has a spring attached to it. Don't care if it warms the earth 2.5degC.....

I just think it looks awesome..

Fisker Automotive

flacaltenn-albums-fun-stuff-picture4031-fisker-karma-2-1.jpg

Only about $100K. Wonder how much is in petty cash?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does seem overly long. Especially when you have Tesla and Fiskar claiming much faster charging. That could be a function of the price differance, also.

...ranging from $50K-$80K (after the $7.5K gov rebate), isn't really for the middle class. Maybe some upper middle classers!

However, I think this is a great start on what will be the future (along with the Leaf, Volt and other electric cars).

320 miles is more than many cars get. Take a 13 gallon tank that get average 22 mpg = 286!

Take the normal drive might do 30-40 a day! At 30 miles you would be good for 10 days at 40 miles good for 8 days. At 50 your good for nearly a week. And for the long commuter of 100 miles a day, you have nearly 3 1/2 days!

The mileage would work for nearly EVERY America, however, that price won't work for many Americans. They need to find a way to get the price between the $40K-$50K range.

I am still excited about the car. I think it's a step in the right direction to get off the black crack!

Tesla Model S Boasts 320-Mile Range, One-Hour Recharge Time | Fox News

Meet the Roberts electric car. Built in 1896, it gets a solid 40 miles to the charge — exactly the mileage Chevrolet advertises for the Volt — the much-touted $31,645 electric car General Motors CEO Dan Akerson called “not a step forward, but a leap forward.”

The executives at Chevrolet can rest easy for now. Since the Roberts was constructed in an age before Henry Ford’s mass production, the 115-year-old electric car is one of a kind.

But while the Roberts electric car clearly lacked GPS, power steering and, yes, air bags, the distance it could achieve on a charge, when compared with its modern equivalent, provides a telling example of the slow pace of the electric car.

As the New York Times reported September 5, “For General Motors and the Obama administration, the new Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid represents the automotive future, the culmination of decades of high-tech research financed partly with federal dollars

Read more: Chevy Volt | Electric Car | Old Car | The Daily Caller

Attachments

• $websesto.jpg
    $websesto.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Uh oh.
The resignation of Jonathan Silver, the U.S Energy Department’s top loan officer, over the Solyndra scandal may be the tip of the iceberg. He supervised a much larger DOE loan program that suffers from the same problems as Solyndra: over the last 18 months, the Department has awarded more than $9 billion in below-market loans to auto companies under its Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) Loan Program.

The most troubling transaction: a $465 million loan to California’s Tesla Motors. Tesla received a loan rate of 1.6% from DOE to manufacture an all-electric car that will sell for nearly $50,000. It will not exactly be the people’s car. Tesla also builds luxury sports cars that retail for $103,000 to $128,000.

Tesla also is no simple new age car company. It is owned and financed by big donors to the Democratic Party and to Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. Tesla’s principal owner is Elon Musk, the founder of PayPal. He has an estimated personal wealth of $672 million. His firm received venture capital from the The Westly Group, Daimler Chrysler, and from Abu Dhabi investors. The firm has partnerships with luxury sports car manufacturer Lotus and with Mercedes-Benz.

Like Solyndra, despite the infusion of private and public funds Tesla may not be a financially successful company. Tesla has yet to see a single quarter of profit. Outside financial analysts assert they are skeptical Tesla will ever be profitable.

And like Solyndra, Tesla has been accused of poor financial management. There are charges it was running an unsustainable “burn rate” of $400 million in a short time. Ze’ev Drori, a former Tesla CEO, tried to put a stop to the financial hemorrhaging and slashed spending by ten percent. But Elon Musk reportedly didn’t like this new direction — he fired Drori and replaced him with himself.

Chris Horner, an attorney with the Competitive Enterprise Institute, calls the Tesla deal “corporate welfare.” He tells PJMedia:

This is a handout from the taxpayers. This is standard corporate welfare. It’s run-of-the-mill corporate welfare that they drape it in green rhetorical bunting as if this is different. It isn’t. It’s even worse because this is likely to be uneconomic.

Pajamas Media » Green Tesla Motors: Another Day, Another Solyndra

Uh oh.
The resignation of Jonathan Silver, the U.S Energy Department’s top loan officer, over the Solyndra scandal may be the tip of the iceberg. He supervised a much larger DOE loan program that suffers from the same problems as Solyndra: over the last 18 months, the Department has awarded more than $9 billion in below-market loans to auto companies under its Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) Loan Program.

The most troubling transaction: a $465 million loan to California’s Tesla Motors. Tesla received a loan rate of 1.6% from DOE to manufacture an all-electric car that will sell for nearly $50,000. It will not exactly be the people’s car. Tesla also builds luxury sports cars that retail for $103,000 to $128,000.

Tesla also is no simple new age car company. It is owned and financed by big donors to the Democratic Party and to Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. Tesla’s principal owner is Elon Musk, the founder of PayPal. He has an estimated personal wealth of $672 million. His firm received venture capital from the The Westly Group, Daimler Chrysler, and from Abu Dhabi investors. The firm has partnerships with luxury sports car manufacturer Lotus and with Mercedes-Benz.

Like Solyndra, despite the infusion of private and public funds Tesla may not be a financially successful company. Tesla has yet to see a single quarter of profit. Outside financial analysts assert they are skeptical Tesla will ever be profitable.

And like Solyndra, Tesla has been accused of poor financial management. There are charges it was running an unsustainable “burn rate” of $400 million in a short time. Ze’ev Drori, a former Tesla CEO, tried to put a stop to the financial hemorrhaging and slashed spending by ten percent. But Elon Musk reportedly didn’t like this new direction — he fired Drori and replaced him with himself.

Chris Horner, an attorney with the Competitive Enterprise Institute, calls the Tesla deal “corporate welfare.” He tells PJMedia:

This is a handout from the taxpayers. This is standard corporate welfare. It’s run-of-the-mill corporate welfare that they drape it in green rhetorical bunting as if this is different. It isn’t. It’s even worse because this is likely to be uneconomic.

Pajamas Media » Green Tesla Motors: Another Day, Another Solyndra

I don't really trust this media source, I'm going to look for one that isn't insane.

Forum List

Back