Tesla is out to revolutionize the Energy world

Solar is, of course, the most promising solution to the desire for diversely useful energy. At any moment, the energy equivalent arriving on earth from the sun is around 1340 times the amount of energy being used by humans. Being able to harvest even 1% would be abundant.
Of course, Exxon would no longer be making over a $1000.00 per second...

Pretty damned cool:

Powerwall Tesla Motors

Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels, or when utility rates are low, and powers your home in the evening. It also fortifies your home against power outages by providing a backup electricity supply. Automated, compact and simple to install, Powerwall offers independence from the utility grid and the security of an emergency backup...

...Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs.

It can also be used to charge electric cars:

models-powerwall@2x.jpg

View attachment 40667

Pretty damned awesome.

If operate your car with electricity, can to load free of charge in Hungary.
View attachment 40861 Ingyen zemanyag a belv rosban Csepel.info

Ja, ich hab's schon erlebt und dadurch einen Mietwagen, der elektrop-betrieben war, bei einer solchen Station aufgeladen, ausserhalb von Budapest.

Es war cool!

I like this too:
LET THE SUN IN: FORD C-MAX SOLAR ENERGI CONCEPT GOES OFF THE GRID, GIVES GLIMPSE OF CLEAN VEHICLE FUTURE
Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Concept is first-of-its-kind sun-powered vehicle with the potential to deliver the best of a plug-in hybrid without depending on the electric grid for fuel. Let the Sun In Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Concept Goes Off the Grid Gives Glimpse of Clean Vehicle Future Ford Media Center

ford.jpeg

Let's ask another question:

What type and size of vehicle would be recharged in eight hours by sunlight?

Why do we have to stick with present (outdated and wasteful) configurations?

How much of a recharge can those panels do on a sunny day?? Lets say you're parked for a 8 hour work day and are ready to go home. Could the sun shining on those panels get you 1/3rds charged?

I can not answer, I do not have my car now, only wish information on the net.

In other words, we should be doing an energy audit and learning to do what we want to do, perhaps in new ways, with what is available by renewables. At the same time, enhancing and improving renewable energy technologies should be continued.

Pretty damned cool:

Powerwall Tesla Motors

Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels, or when utility rates are low, and powers your home in the evening. It also fortifies your home against power outages by providing a backup electricity supply. Automated, compact and simple to install, Powerwall offers independence from the utility grid and the security of an emergency backup...

...Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs.

It can also be used to charge electric cars:

models-powerwall@2x.jpg

View attachment 40667

Pretty damned awesome.
Awesome, indeed.

And this will only get better as technologies continue to improve.

How much of a recharge can those panels do on a sunny day?? Lets say you're parked for a 8 hour work day and are ready to go home. Could the sun shining on those panels get you 1/3rds charged?

While that solar on the Ford roof would not deliver much of a charge during a full day, it would probably be enough to go to the local store. If the percentage of sunlight converted to electricity gets to 40%, then that would represent a real advance.

Let's run some numbers.

Call it 3 square meters of solar panels. Power, around 100 watts per square meter. That's less than 10% total efficiency, but that's the real world. The car not being able to angle the solar panels to catch maximum sunlight is a huge hit.

So, 8 hours, that 2.4 kWh of energy. Assuming the sun shines all day.

Battery capacity of a Nissan Leaf is 24 kWh. So, best case, you're getting about 1/10 of a charge.

That's why the Tesla thing is cool. Have a carport at home covered with a much bigger solar array. Store energy in the Tesla battery. Recharge car from that. The Tesla battery isn't anything groundbreaking, being more an incremental advance in technology. But then, the Model T car was an incremental advance. It's the mass production that changes things.

While that solar on the Ford roof would not deliver much of a charge during a full day, it would probably be enough to go to the local store. If the percentage of sunlight converted to electricity gets to 40%, then that would represent a real advance.

Yes, but it can be a complementary solution than some emergency reserve. Such as it also can be reserve:
Smart Highway The intelligent and interactive roads of tomorrow
"Electric Priority Lane
Induction charging offers electric cars the possibility to charge themselves while driving. Electric priority lanes stimulate sustainable transportation."
electric-priority-lane-small.jpg

Forum List

Back