Tesla is out to revolutionize the Energy world

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Pretty damned cool:

Powerwall Tesla Motors

Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels, or when utility rates are low, and powers your home in the evening. It also fortifies your home against power outages by providing a backup electricity supply. Automated, compact and simple to install, Powerwall offers independence from the utility grid and the security of an emergency backup...

...Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs.

It can also be used to charge electric cars:

models-powerwall@2x.jpg

Tesla powerwall specs.jpg

Pretty damned awesome.

Pretty damned cool:

Powerwall Tesla Motors

Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels, or when utility rates are low, and powers your home in the evening. It also fortifies your home against power outages by providing a backup electricity supply. Automated, compact and simple to install, Powerwall offers independence from the utility grid and the security of an emergency backup...

...Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs.

models-powerwall@2x.jpg

View attachment 40667

Pretty damned awesome.
If you don't mind buying new ones every 8 - 10 years.

I have questions about it. Maybe details will come out soon.

I'm used to batteries rated in amp hours, not KW hours.
Does it have a charge controller built in?
Without amp hour and voltage info how does one size the PV array to match the battery?

It's a start but the economics do not necessarily make sense.

Not yet:

Will Tesla s home battery really transform our energy infrastructure Environment The Guardian

Material in blue below quoted/extracted from the article for those unable to use links:

Tesla’s Powerwall represents a further improvement, said Dr Jonathan Radcliffe an energy storage expert at Birmingham University, but for anyone watching their bills, the technology remains economically unsupportable.

........he said the reality for consumers trying to balance bills was that the Tesla battery was still not worth the up front cost. “The battery they promote for daily cycling is 7kWh. Electricity costs in the UK are about 15p per kWh, so you’re holding about £1 of value in this £2,000 wallet.”

Radcliffe said the cost to charge the battery would be around around 8p per kWh. This is the cost of off-peak grid power or solar power (once you count the original costs of solar panels). This reduced the value of the energy held in the unit to 49p, meaning the owner would need to fully drain the battery 4,000 times to recoup their outlay. Even with this unlikely energy use scenario the Powerwall would take 11 years to pay for itself, he thinks.

“I think the costs are probably still too high to make it a realistic investment, a financially viable investment. I guess the first people they are looking at to buy it are the early adopters who aren’t too worried about the actual costs but want to have this latest bit of technology,” said Radcliffe.

• Banned
It's a start but the economics do not necessarily make sense.

Not yet:

Will Tesla s home battery really transform our energy infrastructure Environment The Guardian

Material in blue below quoted/extracted from the article for those unable to use links:

Tesla’s Powerwall represents a further improvement, said Dr Jonathan Radcliffe an energy storage expert at Birmingham University, but for anyone watching their bills, the technology remains economically unsupportable.

........he said the reality for consumers trying to balance bills was that the Tesla battery was still not worth the up front cost. “The battery they promote for daily cycling is 7kWh. Electricity costs in the UK are about 15p per kWh, so you’re holding about £1 of value in this £2,000 wallet.”

Radcliffe said the cost to charge the battery would be around around 8p per kWh. This is the cost of off-peak grid power or solar power (once you count the original costs of solar panels). This reduced the value of the energy held in the unit to 49p, meaning the owner would need to fully drain the battery 4,000 times to recoup their outlay. Even with this unlikely energy use scenario the Powerwall would take 11 years to pay for itself, he thinks.

“I think the costs are probably still too high to make it a realistic investment, a financially viable investment. I guess the first people they are looking at to buy it are the early adopters who aren’t too worried about the actual costs but want to have this latest bit of technology,” said Radcliffe.

However, the day will come when it will be incredibly affordable.

Hey Stat!

What the hell is wrong with you? It is UNACCEPTABLE to start threads about anything that can in any way be construed as positive! When you do so, you trigger a reflexive response from those among us who DEMAND that all news be bad.

Those fucking batteries will have to be replaced every 8 to ten years! That's crazy! Americans never buy anything that doesn't last forever! It's fools gold!

Last edited:
Lordy, I really love to read all the downside comments from the 'Conservatives'. I bet they really had some negative things to say about the first cell phones that were about the size of a shoebox and cost a small fortune. And then there was that silly idea about a computer that you could put on your desk. Let alone one that could fit in your briefcase. And what the hell would the average person use it for anyway?

Musk has made most of his patents open. He does intend to change the world. He already has. Ten years ago, the idea of of a large luxury vehicle as an EV would have been greeted with ridicule. Indeed, five years later, it was. Now that car is a reality, made right here in the US of A. And they hate the idea. Why is it that this bunch wants our nation to fail?

In time the whole concept of home generation (solar/wind/cats in squirrel cages), coupled with inexpensive, long-lasting batteries, will be economical though I question whether that might ever apply to high-density apartment buildings.

The kind of government housing provided free or on the cheap to those who prefer to take rather than to make.

I'm very sure of that. But I'm also equally sure that, except for pre-teens like Jammie-Jake, most who participate on this site will have been dead for a long, long time.

But eventually.....no doubt!

Ohhhh look!

Batteries are in the news again today!

US testing of lithium batteries alarms aviation officials - Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (AP) — "International aviation officials are trying to quickly come up with safer packaging for cargo shipments of lithium-ion batteries on passenger planes after U.S. testing confirmed that aircraft fire suppression systems can't prevent overheated batteries from causing powerful explosions and fires."
"The batteries are used in devices from cellphones to electric cars. It's not unusual for as many as 80,000 batteries to be carried on board a plane. The global battery industry has been lobbying heavily against significant restrictions on battery shipments other than minor changes to current regulations."

In time the whole concept of home generation (solar/wind/cats in squirrel cages), coupled with inexpensive, long-lasting batteries, will be economical though I question whether that might ever apply to high-density apartment buildings.

The kind of government housing provided free or on the cheap to those who prefer to take rather than to make.

I'm very sure of that. But I'm also equally sure that, except for pre-teens like Jammie-Jake, most who participate on this site will have been dead for a long, long time.

But eventually.....no doubt!
OK. That is what you are sure of. Here is what I am sure of. I expect to see the time when a home energy system costs less than a small car. Even at present, the prices for solar have come down far enough that a system including two of Tesla's batteries plus ten Kw of solar would be under 20K.

OK. That is what you are sure of. Here is what I am sure of. I expect to see the time when a home energy system costs less than a small car. Even at present, the prices for solar have come down far enough that a system including two of Tesla's batteries plus ten Kw of solar would be under 20K.

Oh, I DO agree with you on much of that provided the pyromaniac propensities of the little jewels can be tamed - and they likely will - one day.

Howsumever we disagree on timing.

But perhaps you are a pre-teen and the breakthru will come in your lifetime. Given the normal span of years, I do not expect to witness it myself. Probably none of my children, either.

Oh, I DO agree with you on much of that provided the pyromaniac propensities of the little jewels can be tamed - and they likely will - one day.

Howsumever we disagree on timing.

But perhaps you are a pre-teen and the breakthru will come in your lifetime. Given the normal span of years, I do not expect to witness it myself. Probably none of my children, either.
Before this year is out, I will be 72. That is the extent of our disagreement. Guess we will see who is correct.

Pretty damned cool:

Powerwall Tesla Motors

models-powerwall@2x.jpg

View attachment 40667

Pretty damned awesome.

If operate your car with electricity, can to load free of charge in Hungary.
villany2-varosban.blog_.hu_.jpg Ingyen zemanyag a belv rosban Csepel.info

:lol:

What can I say? I think forward, they think backward.

There are some bad examples! What do you think about?

"Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels...."

But how do you get electricity?
It is a bad example (in my opinion) : The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, Google-backed 2.2-B US solar thermal plant opens as industry grows Manila Bulletin Latest Breaking News News Philippines
It is energy Saving and cheap?
Argus-Contracting-at-Ivanpah-Project1-360x240.jpg napenergy.jpg Ivanpah-Solar-5.jpg

"SOLAR:
Bird deaths at Calif. power plant a PR nightmare for industry
Phil Taylor, E&E reporter
Greenwire: Monday, January 19, 2015

Impacts on other projects SOLAR Bird deaths at Calif. power plant a PR nightmare for industry -- Monday January 19 2015 -- www.eenews.net

Ivanpah officials say the plant's impacts pale in comparison to larger human threats.

They include building collisions that kill an estimated 365 million to 988 million birds annually in the U.S., according to a 2014 study by federal scientists in the journal The Condor: Ornithological Applications"

Pretty damned cool:

Powerwall Tesla Motors

models-powerwall@2x.jpg

View attachment 40667

Pretty damned awesome.

If operate your car with electricity, can to load free of charge in Hungary.
View attachment 40861 Ingyen zemanyag a belv rosban Csepel.info

Ja, ich hab's schon erlebt und dadurch einen Mietwagen, der elektrop-betrieben war, bei einer solchen Station aufgeladen, ausserhalb von Budapest.

Es war cool!

:lol:

What can I say? I think forward, they think backward.

There are some bad examples! What do you think about?

"Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels...."

But how do you get electricity?
It is a bad example (in my opinion) : The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, Google-backed 2.2-B US solar thermal plant opens as industry grows Manila Bulletin Latest Breaking News News Philippines
It is energy Saving and cheap?
View attachment 40862 View attachment 40863 View attachment 40864

"SOLAR:
Bird deaths at Calif. power plant a PR nightmare for industry
Phil Taylor, E&E reporter
Greenwire: Monday, January 19, 2015

Impacts on other projects SOLAR Bird deaths at Calif. power plant a PR nightmare for industry -- Monday January 19 2015 -- www.eenews.net

Ivanpah officials say the plant's impacts pale in comparison to larger human threats.

They include building collisions that kill an estimated 365 million to 988 million birds annually in the U.S., according to a 2014 study by federal scientists in the journal The Condor: Ornithological Applications"
I think that the PV's are the way to go. And we don't need to pave the desert with them, simply glue thin film to existing commercial and industrial building roofs. By doing that, virutually no transmission losses.

Forum List

Back