"Tesla introduces Tesla Energy, a suite of batteries for homes, businesses, and utilities fostering

Sheesh, ol' Kosh needs a brain transplant. A 10 or 12 Kw solar installation would do nicely. Backed up with one or two of those batteries. Then if the utility did not like the idea of net metering, you could tell them to get their damned lines off your property.

Once again the cost of things fail on the far left/AGW cult!

One battery costs $70,000, you got that in your back pocket?

And yes the solar panels to produce the amount of wattage you posted is around $30,000

So once again I am right on target and the far left/AGW cult is wrong!

Who will be able to afford this? That is right ladies and gentlemen as well far left drones, the ubber rich!

The top 1% will be able to afford going off the grid, leaving the poor to pay higher prices as they can not.

So much for these people being for the poor!
My, my, you can't read for shit, can you?

Tesla home battery Worth the cost Depends where you live - May. 1 2015

If you live in the South and already own solar panels, it could take you just under three years to make up the cost of the $3,000 Tesla Powerwall battery.

But if you live in the Pacific Northwest and don't have solar panels, it could take you at least 16 years to make up the cost of buying Tesla's new home battery.

There are a lot of variables and some tricky math involved to figure out whether the Tesla Powerwall battery makes sense for you. For example, your power utility company might offer a subsidy. Then again, those savings might disappear when you hire an electrician to install it

But go ahead and once again demonstrate the idiocy of the very far right.

Sheesh, ol' Kosh needs a brain transplant. A 10 or 12 Kw solar installation would do nicely. Backed up with one or two of those batteries. Then if the utility did not like the idea of net metering, you could tell them to get their damned lines off your property.

And yes the solar panels to produce the amount of wattage you posted is around $30,000

Who will be able to afford this? That is right ladies and gentlemen as well far left drones, the ubber rich!

The top 1% will be able to afford going off the grid, leaving the poor to pay higher prices as they can not.

My, my, you can't read for shit, can you?

Tesla home battery Worth the cost Depends where you live - May. 1 2015

If you live in the South and already own solar panels, it could take you just under three years to make up the cost of the $3,000 Tesla Powerwall battery.

But if you live in the Pacific Northwest and don't have solar panels, it could take you at least 16 years to make up the cost of buying Tesla's new home battery.

There are a lot of variables and some tricky math involved to figure out whether the Tesla Powerwall battery makes sense for you. For example, your power utility company might offer a subsidy. Then again, those savings might disappear when you hire an electrician to install it

But go ahead and once again demonstrate the idiocy of the very far right.

Leave it to the far left /AGW cult to prove my point for me..

holy smokes

at that rate it would

it would take 52 years to break even

with my current bill

--LOL

and that is without considering break downs and replacements

--LOL

How is electrical power generated?

U.S._2013_Electricity_Generation_By_Type_crop.png

Renewables, 12.9%. And what was that percentage a decade ago?

Renewables Beat Coal Oil and Nukes by 35 Times in New Energy Capacity EcoWatch

Renewable energy generation—primarily wind and solar power—provided more than 40 percent of the new energy capacity in the U.S. in the first three quarters of this year, according to the latest U.S. Federation Energy Regulation Commission (FERC) Energy Infrastructure Update. Oil, nuclear and especially coal provided little new capacity, with renewables outstripping them more than 35 times. Only natural gas, driven by the growth of fracking, showed more growth, and many industry observers think its growth potential is finite.

The new installed capacity of natural gas declined compared to the first three quarters of 2013, from 6,643 megawatt (MW) to 5,153. Wind was the big winner, upping its installed capacity from 965 MW to 1,614 in that period. In September, new wind capacity led the way with 367 MW, followed by natural gas with 114. Coal showed no increase in existing capacity so far this year. Overall, new capacity from all forms of energy declined from 11,452 in the first three quarters of last year to 8,860 this year.

Among FERC’s project updates is that Kern County, California’s Techachapi Wind Energy Storage project is now up and running. The South California Edison Project, FERC says, “consists of an 8 MW-four-hour (32 MWh) lithium-ion battery and a smart inverter system, [and] will help store energy from the existing 5,000 wind turbines and any future additions in the Techachapi Wind Resource Area. Housed inside a 6,300 square foot facility, it is the largest battery energy storage in North America.” Such projects bode well for the continued growth of wind power.

Renewables, 12.9%. And what was that percentage a decade ago?

Renewables Beat Coal Oil and Nukes by 35 Times in New Energy Capacity EcoWatch

Renewable energy generation—primarily wind and solar power—provided more than 40 percent of the new energy capacity in the U.S. in the first three quarters of this year, according to the latest U.S. Federation Energy Regulation Commission (FERC) Energy Infrastructure Update. Oil, nuclear and especially coal provided little new capacity, with renewables outstripping them more than 35 times. Only natural gas, driven by the growth of fracking, showed more growth, and many industry observers think its growth potential is finite.

The new installed capacity of natural gas declined compared to the first three quarters of 2013, from 6,643 megawatt (MW) to 5,153. Wind was the big winner, upping its installed capacity from 965 MW to 1,614 in that period. In September, new wind capacity led the way with 367 MW, followed by natural gas with 114. Coal showed no increase in existing capacity so far this year. Overall, new capacity from all forms of energy declined from 11,452 in the first three quarters of last year to 8,860 this year.

Among FERC’s project updates is that Kern County, California’s Techachapi Wind Energy Storage project is now up and running. The South California Edison Project, FERC says, “consists of an 8 MW-four-hour (32 MWh) lithium-ion battery and a smart inverter system, [and] will help store energy from the existing 5,000 wind turbines and any future additions in the Techachapi Wind Resource Area. Housed inside a 6,300 square foot facility, it is the largest battery energy storage in North America.” Such projects bode well for the continued growth of wind power.

I'm for all of the above: Coal, natural gas, nuclear, renewables, and other.

holy smokes

at that rate it would

it would take 52 years to break even

with my current bill

--LOL

and that is without considering break downs and replacements

--LOL
Matt doesn't care about that. He only cares that you use the tech he never will.

Since Mathew lives in Oregon, he already used electricity produced by hydro and wind. And, in the next decade, will be using a good deal of electricity produced by solar. Because of market forces. Both wind and solar will be cheaper than coal or natural gas in about five years, and the grid scale batteries will make them 24/7.

I don't know how well this new battery will work because there isn't enough information out about it.

But I know how well solar power works. I live in what may be the largest off grid community in Northern California.

Most folks are using 2KW PV arrays and battery banks of less than 1000 amp hours.

These are homes with about everything electrical that any home has.

I'm frugal so I'm getting by with 1000 watts of PV and a 400 AH battery. I've got lights, stereo, computer, about anything I want. And never have a black out.

Panels can be had for less than $2.50 a watt and deep cycle lead acid batteries cost about $1 per amp hour.

If you do the math it's clear that solar power is pretty cheap. I've been using it since 2002.

Ward that sounds good. Let me ask. How many sq feet is your home? Is it fully air conditioned? Do you have an electric water heater, dishwasher, wash machine, dryer? Do you have a large flat screen tv? How about a stove and oven and full,size refrigerator? Do you leave any lights on all night? Are there days or weeks when solar does not do the job?

I deal with Batteries a lot under probably abnormal saltwater conditions. Problems with them are usually lack of maintenance, lights left on, overcharging, and bad connections. The voltage can vary so greatly that electric devices that need a certain voltage range don't fare very well over the long run without good oversight. You need a lot of gauges and a quality battery. I will say we used to,have giant four cell D batteries that one man could barely lift and it took four batteries to create a 32 volt system. They got out of site expensive. We replaced them with golf cart batteries one third,the size and one quarter the cost. They last maybe two years. Batteries now are used mainly for starting big diesels and generator engines and keeping some electronics going. We live in relative luxury with all the comforts of home with large generators running all the time to provide electricity. There is no way though with heavy equipment to convert to green energy, but on the other hand heavy equipment is not a large slice of energy usage.

I think many of the problems of renewables have yet to surface. The toxicity of batteries and their disposal. Think about the screwy light bulbs that are supposed to have a swat team to clean them up, ya think that is happening? Large solar displays are susceptible to natural phenomena like hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, vandalism, terrorism, or attacks by a foreign power. The environmental damage has yet to be evaluated. Are solar displays more economical than the safe mini nuke plants that have been proposed that create no waste? Are we really that far from fusion?

I am not against renewables at all, bring it. Unsubsidized please. It is really amazing to read all the posts about window film, etc. but when it is time to plug in the 220 to run a 5000 sq ft freezer and and the quick freeze room don't tell me I can't preserve all my food because solar won't handle it.

Shrimpbox, would you plug that freezer into a 4000 watt Harbor Freight generator?

The utilities are installing megaWattage solar plants. Were we to use the unused space on top of commercial and industrial building for solar, we are talking gigaWattage for the cities. The batteries that Tesla is selling are obviously scalable, that is, you can get anything from the 7.5 kWt hr home battery to a mega wattage industrial battery. As for there lifespan, the batteries in the Tesla car are gaurnteed for 8 years, I would expect those are for at least that.

Tesla Motors, a company well known for it’s innovative work and business in electronic cars and now they are also going to step up into Solar Energy where they will be launching battery systems for homes and businesses. It’s stock is currently being traded at $248.99 and may reach around $269. Looking at it’s track records, the stock seems worth investing.

How many years before Microsoft earned profits? Tesla is building an empire with innovative products, and a strategy that will put it to the forefront of the business of batteries and EV's. Their product has to potential of being just as common as a dishwasher or refrigerator in every home. Combine that with their solar investments, and they may end up one of the dominate energy corporations in the world.

I like the idea of batteries as backup power over generators. During Hurricane Sandy, when power was out for a week, the sound of generators constantly running drove you nuts

Having a battery to run your home power and only using a generator to recharge the battery makes more sense

More efficient, also. The generator is only running until the battery is charged. No idle time of running at half or quarter load.

How many years before Microsoft earned profits? Tesla is building an empire with innovative products, and a strategy that will put it to the forefront of the business of batteries and EV's. Their product has to potential of being just as common as a dishwasher or refrigerator in every home. Combine that with their solar investments, and they may end up one of the dominate energy corporations in the world.

Microsoft was profitable from day one.

Forum List

Back